Fulcrum with CFT

Started by ysi_maniac, December 05, 2006, 05:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Main problem of MiG-29, a COOL fighter, is fuel consumption. Inspired by a real paper project (Boeing Enhanced Phantom), I tried a Conformal Fuel Tank for the Fulcrum.
Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

Would this cft had a major impact in aerodynamic performance?

ysi_maniac

I see one problem: in a standard Fulcrum, boundary layer between fuselage and air intake is deflected half inwards and half outwards; with this cft it cannot be deflected inwards. Should it be deflected 100% outwards? or should the inwards half be canalized in a certain way between fuselage and cft?

ysi_maniac

Aerodynamics expertise, hot shot engineers, etc... needed. Sugestions will be very wellcome.

Thanks in advance,
Carlos.

B777LR

Very cool, i also have had this idea in my head for some time! :wub:  I dont really see any problem with it. Besides, its what-if!

wolfik

cool looking!!!!
how much fuel could be in such extra "tank"?

ysi_maniac

I calculated about 2250 litres

B777LR

What scale is it? What country will it fly for? (make it russia please!!!!!)

ysi_maniac

It is ESCI's 1/72. A very inaccurate model, that is why I had to add a 10 mm section to the nose.

This will be Sarracen but I am working too in a real model Fulcrum that will have Soviet stars.

Archibald

Nice! Add two others CFTs a la Rafale (on the back)!  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Hobbes

I'd deflect the boundary layer outwards. The position of the nose wheel is a bit unfortunate for that, though. You may need to extend the fairing over the nose wheel cover.  

Shasper

In my semi-professional opinion, it would be better to put the CFTs on the dorsal spine or in a similar fashion like on the F-15E & F-16E. If you put in on the centerline you'll lose some lift-generating surface ( yes the area between the engines {refered as the 'Pancake"} does generate a good bit of lift), and you'll limit the weapons carriage by removing 1-2 stations.

Having said that, it IS your model, and who am I to tell you how to build it? :P

SHas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

gooberliberation

Mig-29.9-13 with dorsal CFT

Though I do recall reading somewhere that there could also be one between the engines. Mabye do both?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

B777LR

Hey goober, thats a Mig-29S!

Radish

Interesting.
It's a shame no one does a later MiG-29 in 1/48th, other than the MiG-29A from academy.
Or do they?

If I did a CFT like the one suggested between the intakes I'd have to display it flying to show people what I'd done.

Any other suggestions?

I wonder how vav-forming a big dorsal jobbie would work?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen