Fulcrum with CFT

Started by ysi_maniac, December 05, 2006, 05:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Ysi, way i see it, it's your model, and this is whif. Go krazy, mount as many things you like in that little thing, and, please, show us how much fun you had doing it!!!.

Anímate Carlitos, Suéltate el pelo y echa a volar tu imaginación dentro de ese MiG!!!

Saludos,
Rafa.

Ah! i forgot to tell you: I love it!!!!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

elmayerle

An under-fuselage CFT is not a good idea for the MiG-29, for one thing, it plays hell with the area-ruling and your supersonic drag jumps tremendously.  Secondly, you're now bloking several needed vents and the access panels to the main avionics bays.  Smaller units, worked in above the wing would likely work better, IMHO.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

ysi_maniac

Hi HotShot Engineer

I do not doubt on your point but. Why area rule was not a concern in the case of Boeing Enhanced Phantom. Just to know and take informed decisions :)  :cheers:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Shasper

Well I'm no Ev, but it seems to me that the underside of the F-4 was alot flatter due to the arrangement of the engines than the later F-14/MiG-29/Su-27 that had the podded engine layout.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

elmayerle

Shasper is pointing out the same thing I would've, the conformal tank/pod added to the F-4 by Boeing actually fitted area rual better than the external tank.

BlackOps

Even if it's not practical in the real world it looks pretty sharp, couldn't the vents be sent out the top or is that out of the question?
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

rallymodeller

As far as Fulcrums (Fulcra?) in 48th, there's the old Revellogram one which, despite its inaccuracies and being an early version, makes up for a fine model (even has a Soviet pilot instead of the standard Monogram guy!)

When the Fulcrum was first revealed in '86 or so, the big fuel tank that nestles between the intake tunnels was thought to be conformal -- I suppose that it might serve much the same purpose.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

elmayerle

QuoteEven if it's not practical in the real world it looks pretty sharp, couldn't the vents be sent out the top or is that out of the question?
Well, they are on the underside for a reason, to prevent accumulation of water when the aircraft is parked outside.  For much the same reason, to protect the avionics boxes while they're being removed or installed, access to teh avionics bay(s) is from the underside.

Radish

Getting intrigued now....and excited by the idea of a big dorsal thingy on a MiG-29 Academy kit.
Thinking of doing the same to an F-18C?????
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

BlackOps

QuoteEven if it's not practical in the real world it looks pretty sharp, couldn't the vents be sent out the top or is that out of the question?
Well, they are on the underside for a reason, to prevent accumulation of water when the aircraft is parked outside.  For much the same reason, to protect the avionics boxes while they're being removed or installed, access to teh avionics bay(s) is from the underside.
Goshdanggitall to heck! Logical reasoning sure is a neusance somtimes!  ;)

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

GTX

Whilst not a MiG-29, I recently came across this pic of a Su-30MKK2 - note the 'filled in' space between the engine nacelles, with an M-400 recce pod underneath:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

John Howling Mouse

All concerns about "reality" aside (after all, it is at best a pesky nuisance much of the time), I say "go for it."  You've got a very cool concept there and sometimes it's worth simply creating the shape just to see what the novelty will look like.

The idea of combining your idea with an enlarged dorsal CFT as well intrigues me.
Hey, if you need to beef up the under-carriage, you can always do that, too.

It's all good, baby!   :)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ysi_maniac

QuoteWhilst not a MiG-29, I recently came across this pic of a Su-30MKK2 - note the 'filled in' space between the engine nacelles, with an M-400 recce pod underneath:

Regards,

Greg
Hi GTX, I will think on this idea.

ysi_maniac

Waiting for almost 4 years! :o

While retaining the controversial CFT, it will suffer additional abuse/s: :wacko: what about a step between MiG-29 and MFI 1.44? :wacko: (I mean canard delta ...)

I will show some model pics soon. :thumbsup:

ysi_maniac

What's the matter? I have updated and renamed pic and the old draw, with new name, is still here? :banghead: