M3 Grant and M4 Sherman Family of Vehicles

Started by nev, December 17, 2006, 02:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wandering enginner

Trying again.  M36 chassis up armored on par with Jumbo Sherman, 90 mm M3 gun and HVSS suspension.  Yes it is under powered and the chassis is probably at its limit, but it is proven components that are more reliable than Tiger or Panther tanks.  Comments are welcomed.

Old Wombat

Looks good & highly believable. Excellent stuff! :thumbsup:

Be interesting to see how many JMN's you could deceive if you did a PR19 (ask PR19_Kit) on them.

Especially with its faults, as real armour has so many it's scary! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 30, 2012, 07:14:03 PM

Be interesting to see how many JMN's you could deceive if you did a PR19 (ask PR19_Kit) on them.

I'm suitably honoured, thank you.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Logan Hartke

That is lovely, wandering engineer.  It looks good from any angle, and I agree that it would have been quite plausible.  I'm a bit of a Sherman buff, myself (it was the right tank at the right time), so I agree that with a Ford GAA engine, it wouldn't be nimble, but it would absolutely work.

Cheers,

Logan

NARSES2

It certainly looks as though it could have been crossing the Rhine in 1945  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

wandering enginner

Thanks to all for the positive feedback. 

Question:  What are JMN's and what is a PR19?  I see that PR19_kit is a fellow member/contributer to What if.

Logan Hartke

JMNs are these: Joyless Modeling Nazis, illustrated below by our very own Wyrmshadow.

The "PR19" refers to the Gloster Meteor PR.19, often held as an example of a superlative What If creation ("Whif") that's good enough to fool the aforementioned JMNs.  It was made by PR19_Kit, which is where he gets his name.  You'll still find many a reference to it on seemingly credible sites, thinking it's a real plane.

Cheers,

Logan

PR19_Kit

Thanks for the plug Logan,  ;D looks like I'll owe you a beer or two when you make your long anticipated trip to the UK.  :thumbsup:

For the whole unexpurgated story of the Meteor PR19 'Wandering Enginner' see here, but don't believe everything you read  ;) and whatever you do, don't go the RAF Museum Cosford expecting to see it.  ;D :lol:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22259.0/highlight,meteor+pr19.html
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Back to the Sherman and family  ;D

I mainly do aircraft, but every now and then I dip into small scale armor.

My dad has an interest in the British armies 79th armored division. AKA Hobart's Funnies. They were in reality a dedicated armored engineer outfit. equiped with numerous versions of the Churchill and Sherman.

Most people know of the Churchill A.V.R.E. There never was a Sherman  A.V.R.E. So I made one.....................in 1/76th scale.

Matchbox Sherman Firefly, with the dozer from the UM model Sherman and the morter from the Matchbox Churchill AVRE. Markings are for the 79th armored.

I also knocked up an Easy 8 Firefly. again in 1/76th.

Using the spare 17pounder tube from the Sherman AVRE, fitted to the old Hasegawa kit. Markings for my local unit, The Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Who did use Fireflys in Normandy.

Also a Firefly with a twist..................

Hint for the non tread heads, compare the running gear with the Sherman AVRE.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on May 02, 2012, 09:48:21 AM
Markings for my local unit, The Northamptonshire Yeomanry. Who did use Fireflys in Normandy.

Aren't they one of the contendors for knocking out Wittman and his Tiger? I recall the name of the unit from a TV program a short while ago.

Regards
Kit

Martin H

yeap they are. Bill Ekins the gunner given credit for the shot lived in Rushden, about 12 miles from where I live. He died last month.
Unfortunately,

abtex

Martin H

Just wait till my old man see's that Photo. He will love it. That is very likely to be built in 72nd/76th scale very soon ;D
Unfortunately,

abtex

Quote from: Martin H on May 10, 2012, 09:25:23 AM
Just wait till my old man see's that Photo. He will love it. That is very likely to be built in 72nd/76th scale very soon ;D
That's just one of the four, he might like the other ones.

Joe C-P

A Grant with a plow?! I had no idea they'd done that. Neat-o!
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.