M3 Grant and M4 Sherman Family of Vehicles

Started by nev, December 17, 2006, 02:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

An AT gun would make it into a tank destroyer along the lines of a Jagdpanzer.
The Stug was conceived and built as a direct-fire assault gun in the infantry support role rather than as a tank destroyer.
Usage of the Stugs as tanks and as extemporized tank destroyers was due to necessity.

Jon

jcf

The US 3-inch AT Gun M5 was created by mounting the barrel of the 3-inch AA M-1917 gun to breech, recoil mechanism and carriage of the 105mm howitzer M2... the same howitzer that was mounted in the M-7. The barrel length of the M5 was 50 caliber (150 inches/3.8m), the barrel length of the M2 was 22 caliber (91 inches/2.31m).

So based on real world gear an M5 AT gun on a Priest would be technically feasible and has the potential to mess with the minds of the JMN contingent.

Cheers,
Jon

p.s. the Canadians built a AA tank based on a cutdown Ram that mounted a 3.7 inch AA gun, the same concept would work with the M7.

jcf

Line profile of the M7 with the barrel and muzzle brake from an M18.

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Geoff on February 01, 2008, 08:12:55 AMI picked up an M-10 today and am looking for inspiration, Finnish, or Kiwi, or Israeli? Any other suggestions???

How about scrounging around for the HVSS suspension from a late model M4?  Then see if you can find a 90mm gun barrel to swap out with the 3.0''/76.2mm barrel that the M10 was equipped with.  This would give you a radical looking vehicle with vastly superior firepower over the plain vanilla M10.  As for country of use, make it Finnish or Yugoslavian, I doubt Israel would have jumped on the open turret of the M10 for combat. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

philp

Take the upgunned suggestion and make it Australian in support in Korea.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

M10 with 90mm = M36

The 90mm gun was first tested mounted in a regular M10 turret, balance problems and lack of storage led to the design of a new larger turret for the production M36.

The M36B1 was the M36 turret mounted on an M4A3 hull.

Large numbers were supplied to various countries under the MAP program.
The M36 was still in use by the Croatians during the Balkan wars of the 90s.

Jon

dragon

I have a friend in my local club that suggested replacing the main gun with either a pair of Bushmasters or a gatling gun (wait.  It gets better), these should fire silver bullets or wooden stakes and have some sort of Cleric or Vampire hunter type character standing in the coaxial gunner's position (that gave the vehicle its nickname) with some sort of Holy book.  The M7 due to its armament would be called the "Maxi" Priest.  Of course it would have to be swarmed by attacking vampires and such....Yes, he is into gaming too.  He was actually sober (sipping on some Starbucks concoction or another) while telling me this idea.....
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Arc3371

that could actually make sense in the WH40K universe, a gatling armed priest for the Sororitas or frateris militaris

SinUnNombre

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 06, 2008, 11:05:03 PM

Jon

That looks great, Jon. Totally plausible, too. You say the barrel is from an M18, you mean the tank destroyer? US military designations completely throw me off. Since this kit is 1/32, not 1/35, the barrel would more than likely have to be scratchuilt. No biggie. It's a really cool idea, that's simple and easy to convert. You mind if I steal it? Keep the ideas coming guys.

Jon

dy031101

Silly question here- does the 76mm M1 gun of the M4 Sherman use the same ammunition as the 76mm M32 of the M41 light tank?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Arc3371

How about going really nuts, mount the RUAG 120mm CTG in a M-51 turret?

jcf

Quote from: SinUnNombre on February 07, 2008, 07:15:13 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 06, 2008, 11:05:03 PM

Jon

That looks great, Jon. Totally plausible, too. You say the barrel is from an M18, you mean the tank destroyer? US military designations completely throw me off. Since this kit is 1/32, not 1/35, the barrel would more than likely have to be scratchuilt. No biggie. It's a really cool idea, that's simple and easy to convert. You mind if I steal it? Keep the ideas coming guys.

Jon

Yep, the M18 Hellcat tank destroyer with 76mm gun.

Steal away.  :ph34r:

Cheers,
Jon

philp

Quote from: dragon on February 07, 2008, 06:11:48 PM
I have a friend in my local club that suggested replacing the main gun with either a pair of Bushmasters or a gatling gun (wait.  It gets better), these should fire silver bullets or wooden stakes and have some sort of Cleric or Vampire hunter type character standing in the coaxial gunner's position (that gave the vehicle its nickname) with some sort of Holy book.  The M7 due to its armament would be called the "Maxi" Priest.  Of course it would have to be swarmed by attacking vampires and such....Yes, he is into gaming too.  He was actually sober (sipping on some Starbucks concoction or another) while telling me this idea.....

I kind of like the name "Mad Priest" in this scenario.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

SinUnNombre

I need some measuring help. 76mm gun divided by 1/32 scale comes out to 2.375mm? Hmmm... I need to find some plastic tubing about that size for the barrel.

Jon

GTX

Hi folks,

I was just looking at the M3 Lee/Grant tank and wondered - would it be possible to merge two into one and have a larger, wider tank (though not by much) with a 75mm sponson on each side?  Not sure why, but its an idea.  What are yours?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!