Rapid Deployment Force Light Tank

Started by ysi_maniac, December 18, 2006, 11:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

The evolution of conflicts and threats after Cold War made necessary a change in weapons priorities and design. One of the most interesting IMHO was the Air Dropable Rapid Deployment Force Light Tank -I have always, loved light tanks- that lead to M8 Buford http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,1463...Buford,,00.html

I know, this is not a Buford
-_-  
Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

General Motors entry consists in a kit to quickly upgrade M551 Sheridan in OPFOR service.

ysi_maniac

This kit includes:
- New more powerful engine
- Raised hull's roof to make room for the new engine more tankage and ammo storage
- Low luminosity visor for whole crew
- Laser range finder
- British Low Recoil Force 105 mm gun
- New bustle in turret to allow easy access ammo stowage

ysi_maniac

As you can see, I continue with my Armor Fever

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

Rafael

Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!!Iloveit!!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Should I say more?

Rafa

Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

ysi_maniac

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

anthonyp

That's awesome!!   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Now, where's Dexter?  He'd love this!  Put Chilean markings on it, and he'd be done.   B)

You ever see the XM8?  It was a BAE Systems (then United Defense LP) project to build a 105mm armored gun system that could be chucked out the back of a C-130.  It had a similar profile to your tank.

XM8 entry on Global Security dot Org.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Jeffry Fontaine

What did you use for the muzzle brake on your main gun?  The actual device would be a challenge to create in such a small scale but your representation looks very convincing.  

Personally I like the idea of an upgraded M551 Sheridan with the original 152mm main gun since it had an HE round as well as a HEAT round that would be very handy for destruction of buildings and making holes in walls for urban combat.  Perhaps a combination of both on the same hull would be the best way to go.  A pair of 152mm and a pair of 105mm armed vehicles in each platoon to support the infantry and take on other armor.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Brian da Basher

Stunning, ysi!!! Your paintwork is absolutely first rate!

Brian da Basher

ysi_maniac

QuoteWhat did you use for the muzzle brake on your main gun?  The actual device would be a challenge to create in such a small scale but your representation looks very convincing.   

Just a styrene cylinder carefully scribbed

Personally I like the idea of an upgraded M551 Sheridan with the original 152mm main gun since it had an HE round as well as a HEAT round that would be very handy for destruction of buildings and making holes in walls for urban combat.  Perhaps a combination of both on the same hull would be the best way to go.  A pair of 152mm and a pair of 105mm armed vehicles in each platoon to support the infantry and take on other armor.
But you know that the recoil of 152 gun was TOO HARD!