First time (in 28 years)

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 24, 2006, 07:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Armour rocks, eh Baz?  :tank:

The thought of what you could achieve with your superlative scratch-building and weathering skills is making me drool...  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

I kinda messed up on the camo paint job.  I liked the tan-plus-first splashes of olive drab.  Had a good feel to it but my plan was for a 3-color scheme so I then added the third color to the camo scheme, a somewhat darker shade of green that I came up with.

Now, it really has a swirly disco feel to it.  Man, it truly looks like something ABBA would have worn back in the Seventies if they had been drafted.  Or Austin Powers.

Keeeerap, but I don't feel like re-painting the whole thing.  

While I'm lamenting, how does one properly show the exposed metal for scrapes and weathering on a tank?
It's not like it's aluminum under there as on aircraft.  A dull gun metal color lightened up with a bit of "stainless steel" maybe?

And can the vinyl tracks be painted with acrylic paints or will that all peel off?

I am definitely out of my element on this one!  But it has been fun!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

I managed to de-discofy the camo pattern a bit.

Still not done.  This is just a sneak preview of the basic background scheme.

Now, the fun will really begin!

B777LR

nev

Barry, what are you wittering on about?  That camo look fracking awesome!!!

Now, want to know the really great thing about armour?  Bad paint jobs can be hidden under oodles of weathering, stores, blankets etc  B)

I tend to leave tracks unpainted, apart from a wash to bring out detail, then a dry brushing with a metallic colour (but only if the tracks are metal, not rubber IRL ;) ).  Then on top of that weathering (see, there's that word again :) ) and you'll see very little of the original colour  B)

BTW you might want to find the Canadian importer for MiG pigments.  Highly recomended.

I guess you need to browse the articles sections of armorama, missing-lynx etc? :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

cthulhu77

I like to use enamels for the track sections...yeah, the acrylic stuff will flake off in time, though it does make for a very convincing mud effect due to just that!
  I like the edgy camo...the tank looks great !

Brian da Basher

Yowsa that looks excellent Mr Howling Mouse! Wow airplanes, armor and knitting!

Where's my mudpies?  :angry:

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Now the bleary-eyed part.  I wanted to break up the camo sections with some kind of chicken scratch markings of the opposite colors in the 3-color camo scheme.  Many of these thin little markings had to be second-coated, too!

Six hours later...

Svaz

now where is that jaw-dropping smiley ...

:wub:  
Someday, I'll even finish a model ...

Eddie M.

May I say that looks SSH? Outstanding work JHM! One question, where do you hide the wings and prop on that thing.  ;)  :lol:
    Eddie  
Look behind you!

BlackOps

QuoteNow the bleary-eyed part.  I wanted to break up the camo sections with some kind of chicken scratch markings of the opposite colors in the 3-color camo scheme.  Many of these thin little markings had to be second-coated, too!

Six hours later...
You sir, are a MADMAN!  Awesome work Barry!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

nev

Yowsers!  :o

2 requests

1)  How did you do it?

2)  Can we have a close up please?

Chap

Incredible work Baz!  What paint do you use?

~Steve

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys.  To answer some questions:

Eddie:  No hidden wings or prop-----that's what makes it all the more strange when I make airplane sounds when "flying" it back upstairs to dry b/w paint coats!

Nev:  
1) Primered with Krylon grey from spraycan, airbrushed an overall basecoat of tan, handbrushed the two green camo colors over the tan, then painted all the little swipes and assorted chicken-scratch marks with a "0" brush.  Not difficult, just tedious...but very relaxing.  All colors hand-mixed (not an FS number in sight!).

2) See couple of close-ups below.  You'll see the marks are actually pretty basic but I just wanted the finish to be different than all the "real" models I have seen out there.

Chap:  I used the Krylon sandable grey as a primer coat then Testors "Acryl" paints for the rest.

Radish

Looks terrific though don't it.
Great stuff. :P  :P  :P  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen