First time (in 28 years)

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 24, 2006, 07:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

No, not that------a TANK model.

I kept wanting to do some armor but I couldn't stop worrying that I'd mess it all up from sheer lack of know-how about the build sequence, etc.

Then I found this very cheap Trumpeter Korean K1A1.  With all the flash, I'm guessing it must have been one of Trumpeter's earlier attempts (or it was reboxed from either the "Zhengdefu" or "AA Models" line, maybe?).  

I decided to not paint anything up front so I was able to get all the sub-assemblies done in a single day (yesterday).
Could have been even quicker as most of the build-up time was due to trying to clean up flash and this is that cheaper plastic that gets all fibrous/fuzzy as soon as you try to file or scrape any part of it....  <_<

Looking forward to painting it today....if I could just get that darned aft basket figured out (must be the armor-modeler's equivalent to rigging on biplanes!).

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Rafael

Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Captain Canada

Looking good, Baz !

Nowt better than a relaxing day, working on something easy like that. Well, except for the basket part !

Is that tank the Korean copy of the leopard ? I don't think I've ever actually seen a K1A1.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

cthulhu77

Where do the torpedoes, pontoons and/or spats go ?  Armor?  :ph34r:  

B777LR

I fear a bad christmas... tank with spats, T-tail and canadian leafs :(  

John Howling Mouse

Basket is together: thank you TENAX 7R!!!  Even though the bottle is at least five years old, I was able to affix all the prongs...one by one...  It's like there is a balance in the modelling universe: no PSR on armour but plenty of fiddly bits and fourteen sets of wheels.

Seeing as how there is only about five hours worth of work in this puppy so far, I am pretty sure what genre I will select from for the next One Week Group Build!   ;)

As for this tank's origins, I don't know.  It may as well be a sewing machine for all I know about armor!!   :lol:

Brian da Basher

Congratulations, Mr Howling Mouse! You've done some excellent work, and even though you've ventured over into the Dark Side, I applaud your efforts!

Those armor guys make me envious of their skill!

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

QuoteThose armor guys make me envious of their skill!
Yep, me too.

Funny thing is just how "wrong" it feels when attempting to fly the turret or other parts up and down the stairs for painting in the basement.

I'll just be about to make jet sounds when I realize how inappropriate that would be for the subject in hand.   :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  

PanzerWulff

Brian da Basher
Thank you Brian :P
And Kudos to you John well done thus far
heres a link to info on the K1A1 K1A1 Army Technology.com

The Eternal TREADHEAD
"PanzerWulff"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

ysi_maniac

QuoteLooking good, Baz !

Nowt better than a relaxing day, working on something easy like that. Well, except for the basket part !

Is that tank the Korean copy of the leopard ? I don't think I've ever actually seen a K1A1.

Cheers !
It is based on M1 Abrams
Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

QuoteI'll just be about to make jet sounds when I realize how inappropriate that would be for the subject in hand.   :dum:  :dum:  :dum:
Oh, yes, the appropriate sound is "firing". ;)  

ysi_maniac

Thanks

The good point in armour is that scratchbuilding is much easier. Now I am building an entire turret from scratch, I will never make an entire fuselage or wing, even not a propeller, from scratch

John Howling Mouse

Thanks for that great website, Chris.

Primer and first coat of tan is on.  This will definitely be a What If in terms of finish.  I've already tested out the paint scheme on the inside of the chassis-box-thing.

Man, armor rocks!  I'm already thinking about my next tank project.  This idea of having a kit built in a single day is blowing my mind.  No wonder armor guys get so excited.  And I think I'm going to try one of my naval destroyers soon, too!

Forest of Wheels

BlackOps

Cool! I love armor but have only built one in 1/72 since I have returned to the hobby. I have more in the wings if I can wrap up some current builds I'd like to start converting my 1/35 Abrams into a hover tank.

I can't believe it's going so fast, looks great so far Barry  :)

:tank:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

B777LR

QuoteMan, armor rocks! I'm already thinking about my next tank project.

Want ideas? :
Super king tiger/emperor tiger? Modern king tiger upgunned with 120 mm and used by the german army!

King Panther! Modern upgunned panther used by canada and germany!

Churchill mk.200 Churchill tank with 100 mm gun and reactive armour (and sloping armour)

Sturm Tiger AA! A more modern sturm tiger, with gun removed, and 8 missiles against aircraft (4 on each side), and a vulcan cannon on roof! German counterpart to tunguska!