A-10 Thunderbolt II

Started by Archibald, December 25, 2006, 06:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LemonJello

For ASW work you'd need sonobuoys, torpedos and maybe some depth charges as well.  Definitely need a second seat for that job.

The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

tinlail

I haven't seen any wing mounted sonobuoy's all the installations All I am familiar with drop out of a fuselage.  One possibility, would be to transmit all the sonar data back to a office on ship. and just have the pilot drive, and drop stuff.

My general notion for a Navy A-10 is that it shouldn't be changed too much, keep the gun, focus on supporting Marines. A RATO unit might be interesting for operation off of a LHA class ship. I could Marines enter a area of operations, with the intent of operating A-10 mostly from land after securing a runway for them. With operation from a carrier only for things like major maintenance.

GTX

QuoteI haven't seen any wing mounted sonobuoy's

Look closely at a Grumman S-2 and you will see a wing mounting - well rear or engine nacelles to be exact:

I agree with the concept of using the A-10B N/AW as the basis for a 'S-10B???' - maybe as an indigenous ASW capability for smaller carriers with less crew.  Maybe put a MAD boom in the tail; a FLIR in one landing gear pod and a Radar in the other perhaps; sonobouys carried either under the fuselage in a fairing or even in pods under the wings (ala Vickers Wellesley); a pair of torpedoes (say a Mk 46 or similar) under the fuselage and maybe some depth charges.  Other weapons appropriate would be Mavericks or even the Skua ASM.  Not sure if you would keep the cannon - I tend to remove it, though it would still be useful against some smaller shipping and in a  marine support role.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

QuoteI admire the idea of a warthog Missileer, though I would think that a warthog wing would not be well suited for the altitudes that a such a plane would want to patrol at.
Perhaps I should go with a longer wing and double folds?  With a constant chord, it'd be easy to model.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

gooberliberation

QuoteJust looking for a way around some of the issues mentioned with the off-center front gear...
I was considering doing a SeaPig with a *ghasp* smaller gun and a centered nosewheel.

I scrapped that Idea on the grounds that a non-civillian castrated Warthog would be totally lame. :lol:
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

tinlail

QuotePerhaps I should go with a longer wing and double folds?  With a constant chord, it'd be easy to model.
Um, you are the expert. I spend my day's making a machine count integers, cause I can't be trusted to do it myself.

I thought that high altitude wings tended to be thinner than low altitude wings, or is that just  because they normally fly at different speeds too?

I had a epiphany about the S2F wing fold, the left and right wings mechanism could be designed so as to be identical on both wings. This strikes me as very much in keeping with the A-10 philosophy.

SinUnNombre

Actually, the 'Hog as an ASW craft makes sense to me. There's plenty of room in the back for a MAD boom system, as well as room under the wings for torps, depth charges, etc. Just add a sonobouy launcher on the side, and some sort of sonar rig. What about the A-10 in an anti-shipping role?

Jon

tinlail

QuoteWhat about the A-10 in an anti-shipping role?
Against any one with out antiaircraft missiles Damn well I would think!

If it is possible to mount a radar pod (lantirn) that could give guidance to a harpoon missile. Then it would be a good any other plane.

elmayerle

QuotePerhaps I should go with a longer wing and double folds?  With a constant chord, it'd be easy to model.
Um, you are the expert. I spend my day's making a machine count integers, cause I can't be trusted to do it myself.

I thought that high altitude wings tended to be thinner than low altitude wings, or is that just  because they normally fly at different speeds too?
Actually, I took another look at the Missileer's wing and it doesn't appear to be that optimised for high altitude.  I may just go with folding the standard A-10 wing.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Maverick

I've been thinking about the A-10 as a naval striker.  

For my mind, regardless of whether it's single or twin tub, I can't see the type being of any use in the ASW role.  Given the extra kit that ASW birds carry beyond a MAD stinger, it's use would to my mind be quite limited, add to that the workload for the GIB not in front of a nice big console, but cramped into a cockpit and I think it makes for an unworkable situation.

For ASV, sure plinking away at patrol boats or sampans would be cool, but against anything with a half-decent air defence system or organic air support and the A-10 would become an oily blot on the ocean's surface quick smart.

I think the most logical role, as some have mentioned would be as a Marine or Navy aircraft in the mould of the A-4/A-7, the latter funnily enough being the precursor to the Warthog in USAF service.  As a CAS machine over a beach-head, I think the type would excel.  Heck, I'd keep the Avenger to lay some serious hurt on shore based arty and bunkers.

But as for toting torps and the like and taking on subs or anything larger than a PT boat and I'd suggest you'd end up chewing through a lot of naval aviators.

Mav

Hobbes

QuoteActually, the 'Hog as an ASW craft makes sense to me. There's plenty of room in the back for a MAD boom system, as well as room under the wings for torps, depth charges, etc. Just add a sonobouy launcher on the side, and some sort of sonar rig. What about the A-10 in an anti-shipping role?

Jon
For sonobuoys, why not use a container pod along the lines of the JP-233?

SinUnNombre

Hey there guys. My build for this post has been shelved for the time being. I'm going to pick up a 1/48 kit so I can bash parts from my F-18 kit and others to make it a little easier. My eBay account is acting up or I would have one already. Thanks for the ideas, and please keep them coming.

Jon

LemonJello

I'm hoping to gain a 1/48 hawg for the stash from Santa, and it'll be getting the navalized treatment and USMC markings along with wing folds, a beefed up landing gear and tailhook.  It'll look good next to the one I did up in MARPAT and loaded to the gills with ordnance.

I may go with gloss grey over white, but that's always subject to change.  This is one of my favorite Whif ideas, and I'd love to take a crack at it.
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

Eddie M.

Instead of a cat shot, could the A-10 get off the deck using a RATO?
I'm not sure of the take off distance of an A-10, but it might be able to do it without a RATO. Back in the day, there was IRCC the name, a free shot line on deck. With 30 or more knots of wind over the deck, it might make it. Here's a photo of that line on my old Midway model.
  Eddie
Look behind you!

Mossie

QuoteJust looking for a way around some of the issues mentioned with the off-center front gear...
I was considering doing a SeaPig with a *ghasp* smaller gun and a centered nosewheel.

I scrapped that Idea on the grounds that a non-civillian castrated Warthog would be totally lame. :lol:
No, no, nooooo!  Only ever make guns BIGGER!!!!!
:P  :P  :P ;)  ;)  ;)  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.