USS Burton Island

Started by SimonR, December 28, 2006, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonR

When my box arrived from Sweden, I wiped the snow off it and found 1/290 scale USS Burton Island. Obviously, I needed to mate it with something else so I pulled an ESCI 1/72 CV-22 death trap off the stash mountain...

I'm going to try for a VTOL Soviet Icebreaker flying boat..

The chopping of the Burton Island's hull starts...

To be continued...
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

nev

QuoteI'm going to try for a VTOL Soviet Icebreaker flying boat..
I love it!!   :lol:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

cthulhu77

Great concept, a sort of Ekranoplan/ice breaker.  Are you going to call it the Smirnoff, the Grey Goose, or the Stoly ?

Brian da Basher

Wow is that awesome!

My vote is to call it the Beluga.

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Wow, gutsy----verrrry gutsy.  I'm impressed!   :o

As an "icebreaker," what kind of waterborne power will it have (since the rotorprops would be too big to rotate forward while on the surface)??

Very cool.  I think Brian's "Beluga" is very apt.   ;)

Looking forward to more of this one.   :)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

SimonR

QuoteAs an "icebreaker," what kind of waterborne power will it have (since the rotorprops would be too big to rotate forward while on the surface)??
Ducted impellers. Big ones.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Captain Canada

Neat idea !

First time I've seen that Burton Island kit....looks pretty nice ! Old boats like that are cool.......

As for ice breaking, you could use air bubble like some of the modern ones do, to help break up the ice and cause less friction to the hull.

Looking forward to more of this build !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

CanisD

Well, considering its a V-22, you could have it hover over the ice until something breaks in the drive train and it drops like a rock, breaking the ice on impact. At least with the boat hull underneath it will float. Awfully inefficient though...

Built the Burton Island way, way back in the early 80's. Saw one of them up in Wilmington once, can't remember which one. Nice kit. Floated very nicely in the swimming pool, always an important consideration!
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Wolf's Shipyard
Wolf's Shipyard Forum

anthonyp

:blink:

[Keanu]Whoa![/Keanu]

Why do I not see this as improbable?  Considering the Soviets had nuclear icebreakers, and knowing them and their love of the nuke, probably had some nuclear ice breaking weapon in development at some time for deployment on something like this.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

K5054NZ

I LOVE IT!

Fantastical! It looks like it's gonna be radically cool. I'll be keenly following it. I'm glad I won't be the sole flying-boat-builder in this GB.

Ooops, did I type that out loud?....... :ar:  

SimonR

I've joined the  hull parts, scratched a new deck from Evergreen, done a couple of rounds of PSR and installed the ducted impellers...

I'll get to work on the top half tomorrow.
Simon

Hunter S. Thompson

cthulhu77

Looking good and bulky, as an icebreaker should!

John Howling Mouse

[Kramer] Yeeeeeah, Baby!! [Kramer]
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

SimonR

The hull is finished...

And the top half is well on the way...

Simon

Hunter S. Thompson

Brian da Basher

Awesome progress!

Go, Simon, go!!!

Brian da Basher