Tucara: Tutor Plus Pucara

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 01, 2007, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Wow, you can tell how long PSR has been taking when you find out just how far you have to go back to dig out your last "in-progress" post!

Since my wing kitbash results in a difference of wing cross-sectional thicknesses, I thought I show you folks another simple but useful technique in obtaining complex shapes.  Similar to my clear tape method for picking out apertures for wheel wells, windows, and such, but this time using some clear plastic from an egg carton.
Because it is clear, it is easy to see the shape underneath that I am tracing.  I use an X-acto knife instead of a pen since most inks do not stick to the polyethylene plastic.  The outlines you see on the plastic edges were actually touched up later for illustrative purposes.

The template cut out from the plastic egg carton:

Couple of pictures of the template in place on the model's wing.  I will make upper and lower templates for each inner wing section (port and starboard are slightly different as I just eyeball this stuff very un-scientifically).  These templates will be used to trace cut-lines on appropriate styrene sheet which will be curved and glued as a second skin over the existing (but too thin) inner wing sections, top and bottom.  You can also see where the trailing edge of the inner wing will now be lengthened in order to match the wing-line from the outer section.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

cthulhu77

BAAZTASTIC !   This one is going to keep them guessing, for sure.

John Howling Mouse

Port wing's upper skin in place.
With the 0.040" styrene sheet in place, I've now decided to cheat and not bother with the underwing skins, even though I've already cut the templates.  Looks "good enough for government work" as they say.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

BlackOps

Incredible! I would never have come up with this process, but after seeing it, it makes perfect sense, still looks tricky but very clever.

I know your making this look a lot easier than it is too! Great job :)

I love watching you work.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Sisko

I love your in progress stuff!

Can't wait for this to be finished
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

anthonyp

Wow...  I do enjoy these in progress pics of yours, Baz.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys.  Homemade wingskins and wingtips are all glued on now.  Throw a tailfin and some tailplanes on this thing and I might fool someone into thinking I was building a model of an airplane!   :rolleyes:

Eddie M.

I love to watch you work. You are the Master! B)
   Eddie  
Look behind you!

retro_seventies

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Brian da Basher

Woah awesome work, Mr Howling Mouse! What a great technique! My approach would involve slapping on the better part of a tupe of Squadron™ putty and PSR into the year 2012 to get it all smoothed in. Thanks for sharing your secrets with us.

Brian da Basher

SimonR

Looking good, it's great to see such a detailed explanation of the techniques involved.

Are you wet sanding this? If so, how are you protecting the already painted cockpit of the Manhohawk from the water, dust, etc.?
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

John Howling Mouse

QuoteAre you wet sanding this? If so, how are you protecting the already painted cockpit of the Manhohawk from the water, dust, etc.?
Yes, plenty of wetsanding.  Protection?  Blind luck!!!

PolluxDeltaSeven

I really appreciate what you did with those models! very impressive!!  :wub:

I don't remember if you already told about that, but did you already chose the country who will opperate this beauty??
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Shasper

*gasp* Where's me knitters?

Shas (wondering about WUH) B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.