Tucara: Tutor Plus Pucara

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 01, 2007, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_seventies

*happy contented sigh*

i think i might just stare at these photos all night - nice work with those exhausts, sir.  Did i mention how much i like the prop assembly too? no? well i do. VERY MUCH.  :wub:

el mas mejor del mundo, que non?
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

K5054NZ

Speechless again. Drat, here I was about to come up with all sorts of great praise-full words.

You're just TOO DAMNED GOOD! I have a feeling I'll want one of these...or six......

John Howling Mouse

Now, for the sordid, steamy underbelly of modelling: wing clamps holding together a hodge-podge ™ assortment of styrene cold cuts to fill some of the worst voids.
I'll do some PSR tomorrow when this mess has dried.  Right now, it looks like a miniature replica of work done by a drunken stonecutter.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

retro_seventies

you never make it easy on yourself, do you barry?  

looking great my friend.  :cheers:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

cthulhu77

I've had a few drinks tonight, and I used to be a stonecutter, so I don't know how to take this...looks better than anything I could have gotten together.
 I think this is going to be one for the record books, my friends.

B777LR

JHM, did you know that the exhaust you can normally see is really just a very long tube, ending up at a tiny engine!

nev

Baz!  Baz!  He's our man, if he can't do it no-one can!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Eddie M.

QuoteI know there are times when we all gather around a project and enthuse wildly - Gregs's Battlemech, Gekko's 262, Eddie's Pusher B-25, Wolfik's..... erm.... everything are the first to spring to mind - But this is really a 'class act'. The fact that there is no 'prototype' to latch onto is (to me) a skill in itself, but the execution and visualisation is something I can only dream of being able to do.

This is looking better with each post. Thanks, Barry, for letting us share the ride so far.....

Ian
I agree it is a wonder to watch The Bazling do his work, but to be mentioned in the same breath as these fine modelers...well thank you very much. B)

JHM,
  You have one slick project going! I notice the gear doors up. Are you going to make this one an in flight model? Another thing, I wanted to mention how clean your work is. It makes the progress shots a joy to look at. I, on the other hand , am just the local butcher... ;)  :lol:
    Eddie  
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Good morning!   I still have this frickin' cold from Hades but the modelling continues.  I'm hoping to have an actual basic airframe put together sometime today.  Back to work tomorrow means back to very limited modelling time  :(

I keep wondering if I really need to further extend the fuselage tail or just use what I have.  I find it looks kind of nimble as is.  It will be a T-Tail, of course!  Which should I pick?

John Howling Mouse

QuoteJHM, did you know that the exhaust you can normally see is really just a very long tube, ending up at a tiny engine!
Yep, and I was going to simply drill a hole in the back of the inverted nacelle at first.  Then, it started looking "artistic" and I went with it.

Eddie:
It will actually be wheels down.  The closed gear doors you see will be covered up with sheet styrene.  On the tarmac, the Pucara is another one of those birds that often has that predatory "nose-pitched-down" look that you and I both like and I'm hoping to capture that with the Tucara as well.

cthulhu77

Hmmmm. The fuselage looks better being a little longer, but not so much so that I think it is worth the extra hours to do so...where do you think the cg would be?

John Howling Mouse

I did the best thing to test out both lengths:
Glider flight trials around the house.   ;)

I think this is the ultimate best overall length, resulting in optimum CoG and performance:   ^_^

Rafael

Man, man, man-o-man!!! :o  :o  :o  :o  
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Gunports!  Cut from an F-15's fueltank with a couple of cannon ports carefully drilled and shaped into each.

In reality, I doubt this could be possible for a whole variety of reasons, including the wingspar getting in the way.

But I've never been too hampered by paying much attention to variety.

Gives it an interesting sleekness:

Rafael

BANG!!!!

(that was me falling from the chair) :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER