Nimrod B.5?

Started by AeroplaneDriver, January 12, 2007, 09:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

The concept of a using the Nimrod MRA.4 as a pseudo heavy bomber was actually put forward a few years back - I suspect it may even have been by someone in BAe Systems when the upgrade program was in the midst of its problems.  Mind you something that ops in recent years has highlighted is the usefulness of a platform with long endurance both in range and weapons persistance - so go for it (plus I like the B.5 designation :lol: ).

QuoteMk IVs are - they won the UK competition for a bomb with GPS, against JDAM

Correct.  The  Mk IVs are both GPS and Laser guided.  This was largely the result of the Kosovo Ops I believe.

QuoteI heard that P-3Cs of the australian navy could fired cruise missiles (not sure of that) and this was a way of replacing the F-111s

First point - the Australian AP-3Cs are flown by the RAAF, not the RAN.  Secondly, at this stage the Orions only fire the AGM-84 Harpoon.  You are correct though in that there was a plan to fit the Orions with a 'cruise missile'.  This was under Project AIR 5418 (Follow-On Stand-Off Weapon).  The initial aim of the project was to equip both the F/A-18 Hornet and Orions.  The weapon selected (twice!) was the AGM-158 JASSM.  In the end though it was decided to only equip the Hornet with it.  A mistake in my belief since the Orion is a much more capable platform and would have benefitted from such a weapon - one can only hope for the Orion repacement (which will in part  be probably be either a P-8 or even a re-winged, upgraded Orion).  I say in part, since under AIR 7000, it will also partly be replaced by something like Global Hawk.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

RLBH

I'd be tempted to go for a crew of four: two pilots, a navigator/bombadier and one EWO. Probably use some of the remaining space to accomodate a second crew for long-endurance missions (even if it never gets used due to manpower cuts), and seal off the rest. Keeps it being used for lobster ferry flights.

I've been knocking this idea about in my head for a good while, and it does seem like a logical thing to do.

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteI'd be tempted to go for a crew of four: two pilots, a navigator/bombadier and one EWO. Probably use some of the remaining space to accomodate a second crew for long-endurance missions (even if it never gets used due to manpower cuts), and seal off the rest. Keeps it being used for lobster ferry flights.

I've been knocking this idea about in my head for a good while, and it does seem like a logical thing to do.
If only you were Lord Drayson  :D  
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

lancer

So, going totally into the realms of fantasy here, a Nimrod B5  Would it have rear mid upper and forward gun turrets?? Cammo scheme as RAF WW2 heavies ?? Day - green/earth extending down the sides with medium sea grey undersides and Night Green/Earth on top only with black undersides extending up the sides?? Or wold turrets spoil the graceful lines of the Nimrod?? The floor is now open for comments , ideas, cat calls, hoots of derision or whatever... :ph34r:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Maverick

Well,

Neato idea, but if it was real they'd make em all Hemp (yech) or grey (zzzzzz).

I'd go for the Late Coastal Command scheme, always thought it'd look well cool on other birds.

Mav (Waiting for Airfix's Nimrod.. .now I have a reason)

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteWell,

I'd go for the Late Coastal Command scheme, always thought it'd look well cool on other birds.

I bet the Royal Marines and Paras hunkered down fighting Johnny Taliban wouldnt give a toss if it was sky blue pink if it could loiter for half a day and drop 20+ PGMs!

So has anyone heard any rumors of MRA.4 conversions for the much anticipated and hopefully still coming Airfix MR.2?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Captain Canada

When's that kit due out ?

Can't wait !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

QuoteWell,

I bet the Royal Marines and Paras hunkered down fighting Johnny Taliban wouldnt give a toss if it was sky blue pink if it could loiter for half a day and drop 20+ PGMs!

So has anyone heard any rumors of MRA.4 conversions for the much anticipated and hopefully still coming Airfix MR.2?
Nick we got the initial impression when the kit was originally announced that the first run would be the MR1. R1 and MR-2P, with a possible adaptation later on for an MRA4 issue once these aircraft enter service. Not sure if Trev will have got the kit to break down in such a way to allow this but they certainly wanted to go down that route.

G

Archibald

QuoteI heard that P-3Cs of the australian navy could fired cruise missiles (not sure of that) and this was a way of replacing the F-111s

First point - the Australian AP-3Cs are flown by the RAAF, not the RAN.  Secondly, at this stage the Orions only fire the AGM-84 Harpoon.  You are correct though in that there was a plan to fit the Orions with a 'cruise missile'.  This was under Project AIR 5418 (Follow-On Stand-Off Weapon).  The initial aim of the project was to equip both the F/A-18 Hornet and Orions.  The weapon selected (twice!) was the AGM-158 JASSM.  In the end though it was decided to only equip the Hornet with it.  A mistake in my belief since the Orion is a much more capable platform and would have benefitted from such a weapon - one can only hope for the Orion repacement (which will in part  be probably be either a P-8 or even a re-winged, upgraded Orion).  I say in part, since under AIR 7000, it will also partly be replaced by something like Global Hawk.

Regards,

Greg
Merci for the info!  ^_^  The JASSM / Orion combo is probably what I heard... and it went to naught.
Hmm Nimrods changed into heavy bombers...  :wub:  :wub:

something cool would be reforming some squadrons wich operated V-bombers in the 60's... 39 Sq (they had Victors with Blue steel) ?

IHMO, with cheap and proven cruise missiles (such as JASSM, Scalp, Tarus, and the like) aircrafts such as airliners, maritime patrollers or cargoes can replace
F-111s, Buccs, Tornados... that's a fascinating idea!

The idea that P-3s (armed with cruise missiles) can replace F-111s sounds strange...
but in the end its quite logical, considering that the range of these missiles (100 to 300 kms) allow the launch platform to stay out of the ennemy air defences...

so the launch platform is no longer a fighter nor a bomber!

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Howard of Effingham

gonna have to have me a nimrod too now.

the possibilities look good with it.

anyone like say aeroclub gonna do an AEW3 conversion kit?  :unsure:

before i get flamed, i knew a engineer lass at marconi who lost her job over
this one getting cancelled and it still erks me.  :angry:

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

Joe C-P

Quote(on a personal note, I dislike the "J" being in every freaking US program nowadays...  makes for wholly unpronounceable acronyms-as-words, unlike "Amraam" which rolls off the tongue...)
I'm waiting for some thick bureaucrat to name a new weapon the "Joint Intermediate Strike Missile".

Which are older: Nimrods or B-52s?
I've built a Nimrod, in 1/700, out of a DML/Dragon kit. Someday it'll go into a shadowbox diorama with an Oscar SSGN and a Trafalgar SSN.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

B777LR

QuoteWhich are older: Nimrods or B-52s?

B-52, however i do think that if you count the DH Comet as the nimrod, it is older

:cheers:  

MAD

I know this is an old thread, but I just found this excellent work of the Nimrod MP.l. It emphasises the designs massive (although seemingly shallow!) weapons bay. Which in my opinion would be very useful in the bomber role!

Note: Picture is from Flight International
Enjoy

M.A.D

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

As far as I know, the MRA.4 can carry just about any modern smart weapon since it has the latest databus standard (I forget the number): all it needs is the software. No idea what they intend to actually clear it for though.

An MRA.4 conversion for the Airfix MR.2 would be very complex because the whole wing is different, including MUCH thicker engine bays.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones