F-86d Sabredog For Jhm!

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 13, 2007, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

QuoteGrunge, grunge, grunge.  These folks gave up on any attempts of cleaning their aircraft decades ago.
It's going to be a British Airways Sabredog!
Heh, heh, is it really that bad on BA?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

QuoteI see that wonderful exposed navel in the first image and all I can think about is asking Barry if he has ever had the opportunity to consume brandy or cognac from that navel.....?
I'm pretty sure Baz is teetotal!  :P  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

SimonR

QuoteGrunge, grunge, grunge.  These folks gave up on any attempts of cleaning their aircraft decades ago.
It's going to be a British Airways Sabredog!
Heh, heh, is it really that bad on BA?
I may be being slightly uncharitable but their long haul fleet is intensively utilised and seems a bit tired. I was on a LHR-JFK flight in 1st class last week and we hit some fairly severe turbulence. One of the casualities was a box of chocolates which is used the to stimulate the jaded palates of the plutocrats with after dinner coffee. The chocolates bounced out of the box and all over the floor of the cabin. The 68 year old flight attendent diligently picked up all the chocolates and put them back in the box for the next unlucky punters.  :o  
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Eddie M.

Awesome work JHM! B) I've come to expect this level of work. Am I jaded? ;)  :lol:
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

rallymodeller

Fantastic. WAY better than I could have done. Many thumbs up! :cheers:  
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

John Howling Mouse

QuoteWAY better than I could have done.
I seriously doubt that!

Here is the rough "stainless steel" (Polly Scale...mmmmm) base, handbrushed on.
My hat's off to you fellows who can turn in nice work that was completely brushed on by hand, especially in 1:48 scale and above.

She'll end up rough and tumble, weathered to the nth degree (like I was supposed to do with my F-86T T-Tailed SabreHawk that time):

Brian da Basher

Looks every bit the winner, Mr Howling Mouse! Excellent progress!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

nev

I have to say Barry, your brush-strokes do a fine job of imitating the look of real metal panels - perhaps if you did several panels with the grain going in different directions (and perhaps a different shade of metal?) you could end up with a killer look  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

QuoteI have to say Barry, your brush-strokes do a fine job of imitating the look of real metal panels - perhaps if you did several panels with the grain going in different directions (and perhaps a different shade of metal?) you could end up with a killer look  B)
Thanks, Nev.  I have done that on some Sci-Fi subjects and civilian jetliner wings and now have a certain MiG-21 in mind for exactly that.  

On this baby, 99.9% of the Poly Scale "Stainless Steel" is already covered by a heavily weathered coat of handmixed camo green.

My "new" technique this time was to paint the base steel color overall (as shown above) and then handbrush paint the camo green finish over it, carefully leaving just a hint of "metal" underneath at the panel lines, rivets, and other areas of suitable wear.  It's purposely overdone at this point to suit the What If subject and, even though it's a lot more work than simply painting "silver" weathering atop colored paint, it sure looks more like real metal exposed under paint.

I'm pretty excited about the way it looks and will post update pics soon.

Rafael

Yeah!!, Pics!!, I'd like to see that baby Baz-weathered!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Tease pics only for now!  I still have to go back in with a 000 brush and fine-tune the weathering but I love the messy third-world hand-me-down look that is coming from this new (for me) painting technique.

Brian da Basher

Wow that's awesome Mr Howling Mouse! You are one of the masters of painting around these parts! That's some absolutely top-notch work!

Brian da Basher

Ian the Kiwi Herder

OK, Barry, all teasing aside, now you REALLY got my interest !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Chap

I am simply astounded by the level of your craftsmanship Barry, incredible!

~Steve

John Howling Mouse

Thank you, gents!

Scratchbuilt gunpod, Third-World-Style.  Will hang under fuselage, just aft of nosegear wheel well.  Rectangular block at the back (top) is the ammo chute from the fuselage to the gunpod.  Hoping the drilled out barrel in the grooved shaft will look menacing once it's all painted and weathered up.

Underside shot showing ejector port and angled slipstream deflector ™: