F-86d Sabredog For Jhm!

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 13, 2007, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Very, very impressive.
Oooooh, luvvit :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

Steel basecoat is on.  If you want to see it without, go back one page.  

Don't know whether to paint over the steel basecoat in weathered camo to match the underside of the plane or leave it as steel color.  It is, after all, very much a bolt-on addition to the airframe.  Either way, I will paint the gun barrel in appropriate gun metal.

And it looks better in person than these enlarged images!  Looks like something Nemo would have designed.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Keith Diamond

:o That paint chipping effect you've got going there is very impressive!
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, Keith.
Here is final gunpod, painted and weathered:

Brian da Basher

Yowsa Mr Howling Mouse, your work on those gun pods is simply astounding! I sense Whiff-history in the making here!

Brian da Basher

Chap

Quote...I sense Whiff-history in the making here!
Ditto that! Wow :o , very well done on the gunpod; I am simply astounded that I can never find a brushstroke. Can't wait to see her finished; in fictional country markings I assume?

~Steve

cthulhu77

Nemo, huh?  Is this ship from the continent of Antartica?  Lookeeng good, senor!

Rafael

Wow, Baz!!!

I think this is one of the most interesting builds of yours I've seen so far!
The job on the scratchbuilt gunpod is amazing!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
And your painting skils.....Insuperable!!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Quote...I sense Whiff-history in the making here!
in fictional country markings I assume?

~Steve
Thanks, fellow modellers!

You are exactly correct, Steve: will be handpainted markings from a fictional country out of Africa.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteYou are exactly correct, Steve: will be handpainted markings from a fictional country out of Africa.
Awww, shame I was hoping for Greg's Antarctic Anti Penguin configured machine !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

ANTI-PENGUIN!!!!!!

YOU BOUNDER!!!!!!!
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Leigh

My "new" technique this time was to paint the base steel color overall (as shown above) and then handbrush paint the camo green finish over it, carefully leaving just a hint of "metal" underneath at the panel lines, rivets, and other areas of suitable wear............... it sure looks more like real metal exposed under paint.

Well duh Sherlock that's because it is! :dum:

"Baz he paints it nice cos he paints it twice"

Good idea though, how thin was the green top coat?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

John Howling Mouse

QuoteGood idea though, how thin was the green top coat?
The various greens are all hand-mixed so they are each a bit different, both in terms of water content for the thinning and the actual hue from the percentages of paints mixed together.  That's how I'm achieving that multiple-opacity look I've always envied of Zac, AnthonyP, and Archibald's finishes.

In person, it looks more like a painting that was done for some weird reason on an airplane instead of a canvas.  It is sort of done over-the-top on purpose, due to the third-hand nature of the fictional subject.  Has a real "gate guardian" look to it.

And I get to resume work on it today (off on a Friday)!!!!

John Howling Mouse

I don't usually post this kind of stuff until I first confirm that it worked successfully but here goes:

The test drawing for the insignia I want to use, a sort of African-inspired design (maybe?) for the fictional, fledgling nation operating this beat-up, surplus aircraft.
I didn't want to put it on the tail (some of my favorite weathering is up there!) so I was stuck with a space on the fuselage and I wanted to avoid the airbrakes' area (I'm lazy).

The oval was longer and narrower at first---more like a manly shield---you know.  But the lack of vertical room on the fuselage meant it got squashed.  So, it's an African Easter Egg now, what do I care?   :P

First step: outline.

Next step (where I begin to sweat a little...okay, a lot)

retro_seventies

she looks like she's spent 20 minutes in a tumble dryer and then been kicked about for a few minutes on a gravel path....which i'm sure makes you as happy as can be!!

looking great barry - well...looking like sh*t, but awesome job of making her look that way! she looks armour model scruffy!!

great masterclass in advanced weathering - with you AND greg giving us extremely worn planes we have plenty of notes to take!

...this sabre, is she flown by bona fide citizens of un-named african state, or is she a state owned but merc piloted plane? (like the government owned hind in sierra leone?)

Fab!

:wub:  :cheers:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.