F-86d Sabredog For Jhm!

Started by John Howling Mouse, January 13, 2007, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Quoteshe looks like she's spent 20 minutes in a tumble dryer and then been kicked about for a few minutes on a gravel path....which i'm sure makes you as happy as can be!!

looking great barry - well...looking like sh*t, but awesome job of making her look that way! she looks armour model scruffy!!

great masterclass in advanced weathering - with you AND greg giving us extremely worn planes we have plenty of notes to take!

...this sabre, is she flown by bona fide citizens of un-named african state, or is she a state owned but merc piloted plane? (like the government owned hind in sierra leone?)

Fab!

:wub:  :cheers:
Thanks, Retro.
I'm planning on a new African nation that popped up in 1970 or so, struggling to deal with insurgents and such.  Fictional of course.  Naw, not a jobber----mercenaries aren't nice folk, you know that.   ;)

I actually have a bit of a backstory for this so from the pilot's perspective.

Now, does anyone know anything about indigenous African script types/fonts that I should use for letters in the markings?

Wikipedia, here I come!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Absolutely superb so far. Simple as that !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

cthulhu77

Some seriously nice chipping there, Baz !

nev

Zoinks!  :wacko:

I'm actually sitting here laughing like a maniac.  Its 4:30 in the morning, how else am I supposed to respond to such incredible weathering?  :dum:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Sisko

Nice weathering job!!

Wow you really have captured that tired third world look. :wub:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, fellow Whiffers.  Now, I just need to find some African script in order to be able to continue.  But, everytime I go on the net to search for such info, Ms. H. starts the nibbling-on-my-ear-thing and, well, you know...

...I fall asleep.

:P  

ysi_maniac

QuoteMake sure Ms Hitler is holding the finished model, OK?
I agree.

About modeller:
What can I say?, it is much beyond my level, the average level in this site, the average level worlwide, ...

Oh, I see :dum: you come from planet ten. That explains everything. So, I, as a mere human, can be almost happy with my skills.

Hat off :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

PS: It is african, it would be nice to paint the pilot a colored skin, no?
Will die without understanding this world.

John Howling Mouse

PS: It is african, it would be nice to paint the pilot a colored skin, no? [/quote]
Thanks a million for the kind words!   -_-

Yep, Mr. Pilot will definitely have deep brown skin and thank goodness for that change of pace!
I found my African script and turns out the national colors of the Country I'm basing the back-story in just happens to perfectly blend with my insignia colors already chosen.  It's coming!

Radish

SO GOOD!!!!!

Looks like it's been outdoors for years!!
Fabulous.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

BlackOps

GRUNGY! This is an AWESOME build  :wub:  

Barry, you need to have all your work displayed in a museum complete with drool troughs!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

John Howling Mouse

One of the tasks that's been wracking my nerves for months was knowing I'd eventually have to handpaint the fictional insignia markings.

Well, they're all done, now.  Pretty pleased with the way they turned out.  I'll do some Amharic-based serial markings later as well.

Up close, you can of course tell that they are painted on but that's part of the developing world charm of this battered (but not beaten) aircraft:

retro_seventies

i think they are just great!  :wub:

she's really looking the part now mate.
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

nev

Painted on?  :wacko:

Look terrific Baz, although they are a bit bright and shiny compared to the rest of the airfram - you might wanna tone them down and weather a bit.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

BlackOps

I think all of your handpainted markings have been great! I really love the weather beaten paint on this old bird.  :wub:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.