My First Attempt At Full On Whatiffery

Started by chadders, January 20, 2007, 05:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadders

Heres my first "full on" whatiffery. I startet it last Sunday using 2 Airfix Gnats, and I didn't know where I was going with it to be honest. Then I saw a thread about a Gerry Anderson GB and it just clicked.
   I've called it a Spectrum V.I.P. Air Transport, and would be used to ferry the World President and other dignitaries between terra ferma and Cloud Base.
   As for the build itself, the 2 fusalages were glued together with a spar in the center to give it some regidity. The wings are the standard kit parts that have been reshaped to give the correct wing chord, and the wing tip tanks are Gnat tanks from a Matchbox kit. The central engine is an Airfix Hawk 1:48th scale drop tank with the ends cut off. Those ends were then used to blank off the original intakes and exhausts. The fan at the front of the engine was donated by a 1:144th VC-10 and to blank the exhaust off I placed one of the Gnats wheels 15mm inside the "can".
      The Spectrum decals came from somewhere, I don't remember where, and the other bits and bobs came from a  Star Trek Enterprise D kit.
      Hope you like it. The next project will be the RAF F-16 seen in the film Independance Day. I've just loaded some stills directly off the DVD, and I've just got to wait for Hannants to send me my order for some RAF serials, as it looks like I have everything else I need.
Mark

"What if" baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian da Basher

Yowsa Mark that's a totally stunning display of whiffery! I really like the look of this bird! Awesome!

Two thumbs up!

Brian da Basher

anthonyp

:blink:  Those are Gnat fuselages?!

Holy wow!  That thing's sharp!  Very nice job!  And nice introduction to the world of full-on Whiffery!

:cheers:  :cheers:

I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

cthulhu77

Where oh where are my knitting needles?  That is super...very clean build.

John Howling Mouse

You know, mudpies really could be a bona fide hobby...

Fantastic whiffery and, to top that off, it nicely qualifies as a Scale-O-Rama too!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

chadders

Quote:blink:  Those are Gnat fuselages?!

Yep they certainly are  :D
   All I did was fit the canopies and then used copious amounts of filler to re-model the front ends. Hers a photo pre canopy install

chadders

Thanks for all the kind words guys it means alot to me. I must admit to really getting into this form of building. last year I only built 5 kits, all of them full of resin and etched brass and costing a small fortune, and so far this year I've built 2 models with a total cost of about £1 on materials. And the best thing is no-one can tell me that theres a panel line wrong, or the canopy is "slightly too bulbous in profile", or whatever it is, so I can see a ew more of these croping up over the coming months  :D
Mark

The Rat

:wacko:  :blink:  :o  :wub:  :cheers:

I'm speechless...

:dum:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

Twin noses, twin- :wub:
But it is not only some "weird" twin-plane, it is perfectly built, congratulations... :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Mike Wren

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

The Cat a.k.a Meowbag

That looks so damn good!

Whoever just got their knitting needles out, pass 'em here when you're done :lol:

Rafael

Chadders, this is magic Whiffery!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

RP1

Wow. :blink:  :)  

It looks like Bartini and Anderson had a "discussion".  

RP1  
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

Mossie

Wow Chadders, that wasn't what I was expecting when you first posted the in-progress pics!  I absolutely love it, fantastic job!  Scale-O-tastic, in pea-green too, it fits Captain Scarlet perfectly!

Oh, & I'll pop in a shameless plug to canvass interest for a Gerry Anderson inspired build!:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...showtopic=14034
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.