Boeing 737 Tanker...

Started by Mike Wren, January 20, 2007, 05:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

just got a cheap 1/144 Revell 737-800 & was wondering if it was practical to make it into a tanker, I'm thinking for an AF on a budget.

maybe Australia or similar could use 737-based a/c for Wedgetail AWACS, tanker & maritime patrol (P-8 MMA)?

I have no idea if a 737 could carry the amount of fuel needed for the distances needed though?

:huh:  

John Howling Mouse

Sounds like a natural to me.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Jeffry Fontaine

As long as you stick with the hose & drougue system you should not get any criticism from the rest of the inmates.  

Placement of an HDU pod under each wing would probably be the best apprach.  If you can find a KA-6D, you could try to fashion something similar to mount on the fuselage.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

Using the -800 as a baseline you'd have 45 cubic meters of lower lobe cargo space available to install fuel tanks. Which compares well to the 47.2 cubic meters of a 707-120.

Here is a PDF of 737 specs, Chapter 2.0 of the D6-58325-6:
737 Aircraft Description PDF

From this site:
Boeing Aircraft Characteristics for Airport Planning

Cheers, Jon

B777LR

Just use a Boeing 737-900ER :rolleyes:

Isnt the USAF also looking at possibly buying KC-737 and KC-777? Of course they are also looking at KC-767...

Jennings

QuoteJust use a Boeing 737-900ER :rolleyes:

Isnt the USAF also looking at possibly buying KC-737 and KC-777? Of course they are also looking at KC-767...
AFAIK there has never been a proposal for a 737 tanker.  It's just too small for the USAF's tanker mission.  Boeing has, of course, proposed a KC-767 (which designation makes my skin positively crawl off my body) and a 777 tanker.  They screwed the pooch on the 767 tanker by their dirty dealing, and I think the 777 will be too expensive for the USAF to afford.  I suspect we'll end up with either the KC-30 (Airbus A330-300) or buying used passenger 767s for conversion.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

B777LR

USAF A-330! Joke of the century :P  Boeing is currently offering all aircraft that are still in production, however mostly the 767

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

anthonyp

According to Aviation Week, Northrup-Grumman is looking more and more like they won't offer the KC-30 A330 derivative for the KC-X competition after meeting with USAF officials earlier this week.

Article on aviationnow.com

Boeing said they looked at derivatives of all in-production models, but the 737 was too small for USAF requirements.  747, 767, and 777 variants were evaluated, and while the 767 offered the least amount of internal fuel storage, it offered the best bang-for-the-buck, though the 777 is a close second.

As for a 737 tanker variant, maybe hose and drogue for use by smaller nations, like Taiwan, Kuwait, or Barbados?
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

GTX

QuoteUSAF A-330! Joke of the century

Maybe for the USAF, but the RAAF choose the A-330 over the 767.  the Airbus had by far the better performance.

As for a KC-737, why not - after all there are KC-130s, so this could be a tanker for those smaller airforces.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jennings

QuoteUSAF A-330! Joke of the century :P  Boeing is currently offering all aircraft that are still in production, however mostly the 767
The A330 is most assuredly still in production, and the 767 soon won't be.  In fact, I'd imagine that by the time the USAF gets around to making up their mind, it will be out of production.  The major disadvantage to the 767 is that it's a nearly 30 year old airplane.  The A330 and 777 are much newer in-production technology.  Boeing (from what I hear) *really* wants to shut down the 767 line forthwith, which is why I say if the USAF does get 767s, they'll likely be used airliners.  A huge, huge mistake if you ask me.

The KC-30/A330 is a very good airplane.  True, it's not a Boeing, but it is a very capable tanker platform.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Jennings

QuoteWhy not a KC-787?

Shas B)
First they need to fly it!  I think that might be a little toooo expensive for a tanker.  It'd be cool though!

J

B777LR

Of course, USAF could reengine their KC-767 with GeNX in 15 years :rolleyes:  And add winglets :rolleyes:

I think KC-737 would be a suitable aircraft for the US navy. They are afterall getting P-8, based on 737-800!

dragon

Of course you could turn it into a Presidential plane of some sort....The 737 is not unheard of as a Presidential transport.  B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Captain Canada

The 737 would make a great tanker, Mikey. Especially one like the -800. Are you gonna put a flying boom on it ? Or hose and drogue ? I kinda wonder about the latter in the wing, as it would have to be extensively reworked, I'd be guessing, to get all the piping in and the hardpoints strengthened up.

Which is what makes the A330 so attractive, having the points already in the wing for engines No. 3 & 4 and their associated goodies.

Didn't somebody do a 737 MPA of a Newfie Air Force ? I think it might have been on ARC or HS. I'll have to look for it, it was a real beauty !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?