Boeing 737 Tanker...

Started by Mike Wren, January 20, 2007, 05:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Instead of 2 wing mounted hoses, you could do like the french, and add a hose to the end of the boom :)  The wingspan is afterall not so great as a 767, so wing mounted and they might get a bit too close :unsure:  

elmayerle

QuoteJust use a Boeing 737-900ER :rolleyes:

Isnt the USAF also looking at possibly buying KC-737 and KC-777? Of course they are also looking at KC-767...
Actually, that'd be more like a "KT-43D" or some such since the 737 is already in USAF service as the T-43 and CT-43 (Ron Brown was killed in the crash of a CT-43).

For such a tanker version of a 737-800 or -900, I'd go with a centerline HDU with an option for wing-mounted pods, too.  They'd have to be out a ways to clear turbulence around the engines so I'm not sure  you'd want them on all the time.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

B777LR

Cool tankers:

KC-380
KC-Concorde
KC-11
KC-17
KC-5
KC-350 XWB V.6.1
KCF-104 Starfueler :P
KC-727
KCV-22

GTX

A few years back there was a proposal for KC-17s for the RAAF - I will try to find the details.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jennings

QuoteInstead of 2 wing mounted hoses, you could do like the french, and add a hose to the end of the boom :)  The wingspan is afterall not so great as a 767, so wing mounted and they might get a bit too close :unsure:
(putting on best American redneck accent):

Boy, that there basket attachment on the enduh that there Frenchie tanker boom was invented and made in AMERICA, boy.  Just like the resta that Frenchie airplane wuz...

:)
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Jennings

Okay, howzis?  One note - an HDU exiting under the aft fuselage the way I have it here wouldn't work.  The airplane would almost inevitably hit it on rotation.  You might be able to get away with something akin to that on the KC-10, where it's offset to one side and in a relatively small fairing though.  I was too lazy to draw that :)

J

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

P1127

Isnt the USAF also looking at possibly buying KC-737 and KC-777? Of course they are also looking at KC-767...
Actually, that'd be more like a "KT-43D" or some such since the 737 is already in USAF service as the T-43 and CT-43 (Ron Brown was killed in the crash of a CT-43).

Surely KC-40, as the T-43 is first generation 737.

I still think a KC-32 would be cool (there was a proposal to plumb BA's 757s as emergency tankers for the RAF when they were ordered)
It's not an effing  jump jet.

Archangel

QuoteOkay, howzis?  One note - an HDU exiting under the aft fuselage the way I have it here wouldn't work.  The airplane would almost inevitably hit it on rotation.  You might be able to get away with something akin to that on the KC-10, where it's offset to one side and in a relatively small fairing though.  I was too lazy to draw that :)

J

I like it.  You might also try the same profile in a Gunship Grey color too.

Sentinel Chicken

QuoteOkay, howzis?  One note - an HDU exiting under the aft fuselage the way I have it here wouldn't work.  The airplane would almost inevitably hit it on rotation.  You might be able to get away with something akin to that on the KC-10, where it's offset to one side and in a relatively small fairing though.  I was too lazy to draw that :)

J

Very nice, Jennings!

What I might suggest with the fusleage mounted HDU is have it exit out just behind the main undercarriage. There was a test program by Boeing and the USAF back in the 1970s or so that evaluated a similar installation on the KC-135 as a way of adding probe/drogue compatibility without losing boom function.

Robert Hopkins' Aerofax book on the KC-135 has several pictures.  

Mossie

Nice profile Jennings!  I saw one of the RNZAF 757's display last year.  Bloody Hell, he threw it around a bit, I didn't know airliners could do maneouvers like that!  I reckon when the pilot turned up drunk, the ground crew thought they'd have a laugh & tell him they'd got their A-4's back.....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Jennings

QuoteNice profile Jennings!  I saw one of the RNZAF 757's display last year.  Bloody Hell, he threw it around a bit, I didn't know airliners could do maneouvers like that!  I reckon when the pilot turned up drunk, the ground crew thought they'd have a laugh & tell him they'd got their A-4's back.....
You may notice a vague similarity of the markings on the KC-40C to those on the RNZAF's 757s :)  I did a profile of the latter for an upcoming article on 757 colors & markings that will appear in Model Aircraft Monthly sometime soon-ish.

By the way, empty your browser cache and reload the KC-40C image...

J

Jennings

A drogue equipped USAF KC-32C.  Not very likely without a boom, but kinda nifty looking! :)

J

Sentinel Chicken

QuoteBy the way, empty your browser cache and reload the KC-40C image...
Now we're in business! A tip of the hat and cold one in your honor, sir!

I recall somewhere being a suggestion of using a dedicated tanker only aircraft, like a Gulfstream GV or something smaller to split off the tanker role from the transport role. Pros and cons with that approach, but wouldn't that be interesting? Even using the 737-600 as a primary tanker and then a larger airframe for the tanker/transport role.  

GTX

Jennings,

I love the Kiwi 7373 - an alternative refuelling pod mount could be like on the Il-78s (I'm talking about the rear fuselage mount):

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

Surely KC-40, as the T-43 is first generation 737.

I still think a KC-32 would be cool (there was a proposal to plumb BA's 757s as emergency tankers for the RAF when they were ordered)
Works for me, I'd forgotten about the C-40s.  Sheesh, and there's a Naval Reserve squadron with them right across the field from work.

While we're on the subject, how about some VC-40s for staff transports?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin