Boeing 737 Tanker...

Started by Mike Wren, January 20, 2007, 05:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

and we`re getting more ideas here...how often did you ever think of what world would look like if Trident became succeful? :ph34r:  

jcf

Quoteand we`re getting more ideas here...how often did you ever think of what world would look like if Trident became succeful? :ph34r:
The same, except that there would be more '727' sightings.  :D

Cheers, Jon

GTX

QuoteGreg, wheh was that art. on the KC-17 pub.?

Sorry, I should have said - 18 Sep 1996.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Just wait till you all see my CKCPT-40A!

GTX

Well, It's not a 7373, but it isn't exactly large either, but the Israeli's are reportedly looking at a tanker variant of the G550:

See here for more info.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

nev

KC-17 sounds awful expensive to me, compared to the usual option of converting second-hand airliners...
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Shasper

Or mothballed C-141s  :lol:

Couldnt resist mate. . .  :ar:

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Jennings

QuoteOr mothballed C-141s  :lol:

Couldnt resist mate. . .  :ar:

Shas B)
Only problem with C-141s (other than TF33 engines) is that they started having a nasty habit of cracking to pieces.  A friend's brother was a crew chief in one of the last units, and he said they got VERY proficient at drilling stop holes to prevent crack propagation in things like windshield frames.  Not good...

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Scooterman

QuoteOr mothballed C-141s  :lol:

Couldnt resist mate. . .  :ar:

Shas B)
Only problem with C-141s (other than TF33 engines) is that they started having a nasty habit of cracking to pieces.  A friend's brother was a crew chief in one of the last units, and he said they got VERY proficient at drilling stop holes to prevent crack propagation in things like windshield frames.  Not good...

J
Hell my airframe was doing that back in the early 90s!  And boy did the interior get wet when it rained.  Poor bird always had pressure problems and water would somehow find its way in when it was downpouring.....

And lets not forget the A/C packs going out, or cranky APUs or stupid electrical gremlins that had a way of burying themselves WAAAY back in the circuit breaker banks.

Still miss her...........sometimes!

Iranian F-14A

I remember seeing in a book some years back a proposal for a KB-1B Lancer.I guess they were looking at mounting a boom right on the tail and using the weapons bays for fuel tanks.Thought it looked pretty interesting at the time.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter

Jennings

QuoteI remember seeing in a book some years back a proposal for a KB-1B Lancer.I guess they were looking at mounting a boom right on the tail and using the weapons bays for fuel tanks.Thought it looked pretty interesting at the time.
You can get in trouble in the military (the US military, anyway) for smoking that stuff :)

A KB-1.. yeah.  Right.  Just after they build the KF-22 or the KA-10

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Eddie M.

QuoteI remember seeing in a book some years back a proposal for a KB-1B Lancer.I guess they were looking at mounting a boom right on the tail and using the weapons bays for fuel tanks.Thought it looked pretty interesting at the time.
You can get in trouble in the military (the US military, anyway) for smoking that stuff :)

J
Why not? KA-6D rings a bell. KF-18D, KS-3B....... Yea I could see the KB-1A. That would be a good thing to do with the airframes after Carter killed the program. Or the Bones sitting out in the boneyards. Lots of good what ifs possible. :) This topic has given me the idea to make a KC-737 out of one of my 1/200 scale birds to refuel my 757/727 hybrid. :)  
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Matt Wiser

The two aborted Navy tankers were the KA-6H (a tanker variant of the EA-6B) killed by Mr. Peanut in '79 (60 aircraft was the planned buy), and the KS-3A, which would have had the ASW equipment, the two rear seats, MAD, sonobuoys, etc. removed, and extra fuel tankage added, with the HDU in the weapons bay. And the two external tanks would have been permamently attached to the aircraft. Lockheed made its proposal to NAVAIR, which didn't proceed with the project.  
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

B777LR

QuoteA KB-1.. yeah.  Right.  Just after they build the KF-22 or the KA-10

J
Oh, and dont forget, KB-2 and KF-117 :D  

jcf

J
Why not? KA-6D rings a bell. KF-18D, KS-3B....... Yea I could see the KB-1A. That would be a good thing to do with the airframes after Carter killed the program.
   Eddie
Hard to do as they only built four prototypes.
After the program was terminated in 1977...with the blessing of the DoD and the USAF as they weren't happy about the costs and were having doubts about the need for the aircraft in its designed role, aircraft three and four continued testing ECM and attack systems until April 1981, the testing was funded by Carter defense budgets. In 1978 the DoD called for an aircraft to replace the B-52 as a  cruise-missile transport, Rockwell put forth a proposal for a test program using aircraft three. Both Rockwell and the Air Force continued to study B-1 developments, including the Long Range Combat Aircraft program (also funded by Carter defense budgets). When the decision was made on October 2, 1981 to select the B-1B over the FB-111H for the LRCA role Reagan authorized the purchase of 100 B-1B. In 1982 the USAF and Rockwell signed the full-scale development contract, included in that contract was the modification of the four B-1A prototypes to B-1B standard.

So ya see there were no airframes to spare and the "Carter killed the B-1, Reagan saved the B-1" line so often used, is an oversimplification.