Name For The Concorde B.1

Started by kitnut617, January 23, 2007, 06:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Hi Guys,

Reading the A-400 thread I realised that the name for a Bombcorde might have followed along the lines of a re-used name, or a continuation of a name theme.  By the 70's the RAF had gone back to their ways of renaming new aircraft with names from the past (Tornado for one) so I think the Concorde B.1 would probably been called after a town/city and not some of these weird names that have been banded around on various threads (no offence to anyone here).

I don't think however that it would have been called the Lancaster II B.1 or Halifax (much the same as Spitfire and Hurricane wouldn't be used again), so I started to think which town would it have been named after.  I thought at first 'London' but the previous use of that name was for a flying boat, so that wouldn't work.  My thinking is it might have been call a 'Bristol', it sounds right 'BAe Bristol B.1'.

Any thoughts anyone?

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Radish

Derek?

No, seriously, what about the Bristol Benn B.1
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Shasper

I named mine after Sir Arthur Harris, head of Bomber Command during WWII (as if y'all didnt know that already  ^_^ )

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Captain Canada

Bristol sounds pretty cool.

Ves' point about Harris is valid as well. The guy deserves such a wicked instrument of war named after him.

But, I'm kinda partial to a V name myself. Just seems like a V bomber.

Va-va-va-va-voom !

Valcartier ?

Veracity ?

Velocity ?

Vanguard ?

Van Halen ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

I think a Concorde bomber in the 70s would have followed on as a "V" Bomber.  Vengance B.1?  Vanquish B.1?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Excalibur

I'm building a bombcorde as well..If you were going to stick with "V" names maybe Vengence which is also a recycled name or simply "London" if you were thinking city/town names..  

Hobbes

And (added bonus) it would go with the 'mythical' theme seen here

B)  

upnorth

If you want to use city names, I think Braintree is still up for grabs :P

I always liked the name Braintree for a town, makes it sound like the residents have a sense of humour.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Excalibur

QuoteI'm building a bombcorde as well..If you were going to stick with "V" names maybe Vengence which is also a recycled name or simply "London" if you were thinking city/town names..
Why not use your member name?

Excalibur B.1?  :huh:

Has a certain ring to it, a magical sword of power, and the concorde does look a bit sword like.

:cheers:

O.K.
I considered Excalibur *L* although now that I'm building teh Airfix 1/72 scale Concorde I'm leaning towards "Mordred" (a ummmm unpleasant build *L*)....Which i might stick with for my Falklands build, back story coming soon!!!!

Archibald

Ok guys, thinks its time for a "show us your Bombcorde" thread. Think its the second most build subject after... TSR-2  :lol:  

PS Excalibur sounds cool... first the name doesn't change in French, second it was the name of what become the... Constellation.
Sounds cool!!!  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Excalibur

QuoteOk guys, thinks its time for a "show us your Bombcorde" thread. Think its the second most build subject after... TSR-2  :lol: 

PS Excalibur sounds cool... first the name doesn't change in French, second it was the name of what become the... Constellation.
Sounds cool!!!
I think it is time for a "show us your bombcorde". It would be interesting to see different takes on the same idea. best thing is given it never existed no ones version is wrong. Back stories explaining the builds would be great too. I just thought it would be fun to build a milatarised Concorde than I read on anther forum it was actually considered by the RAF.. Just when you think you're being really far fetched.. *L*

jcf

B777LR

Archibald

Shas, what's exactly this model ?  a scalorama / two engine B-1 to replace the
F-111s in vietnam ?

Excalibur, I'm in for the Bombcord thread ! Who want to start it ?   :f16:

QuoteConcorde B.1 = Aardvark?
Stop insulting bombcorde... Lancer would be cool !  :lol:  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

Tis is more or less what I imagined for my bombcorde. IHMO, the good moment to launch the program could be the late 70's. Why ?
- 1 no Concorde on the production line...time to launch a military program
- 2 Concorde B was a vastly improved variant (better engine, range, wing...)
- 3 Vulcans and Mirage IVA needed replacement
- 4 The ASMP program was reactivated in 1978

well, IHMO of course!!!