Italeri 1/48th F-4j Phantom Started...

Started by Radish, January 28, 2007, 10:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

Chaps, after spraying the Jugular Javelin in Black Primer, I thought a quick cutting, sanding and glueing session was on the cards.

I've started the Italeri (ex-ESCI) 1/48th F-4J Phantom.
Nice mouldings, nothing complicated, a quick clean up and onto the glueing.
The cockpit is together and can be easily detailed (tonight) as the whole thing slips in :lol: to place from the bottom of the joined fuselage halves.
Fuselage halves cleaned up and glued together.
Wings (a nice 3-piece mulding) cleaned up and joined together.
Tonight I'll detail the front cockpit....if it wasn't a whatif it'd need new resin seats as those provided are awful....there's decals to add, but I'll concentrate on sidewalls and adding bits and bobs to the seat. Not too much, though, as I'll probably do it with the lid down.
Another possibility is the lid "up" and a pilot(??) and I'm tempted to do the second lid "up" too, exposing electic black boxes, wiring etc., in place of the wizzo. Mind you, I've a spare R2D2 that could fit :lol:

Then, clean the subassemblies when I get back from work and glue them together.
Rock and ROLL!!!!

Schemes?

Gods know but perhaps GEKKO's classic colours could inspire me towards a Pakistani F-4D....easy to do from the extras provided, plus, of course, whatever additions I make myself!!

Could become an F-4D(P)???
Whatever, it's FUN :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

QuoteMind you, I've a spare R2D2 that could fit :lol:
I double-dawg-dare you!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

I think a Paki F-4D is a cracking idea !

Go for it !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Radish

The Pakistan schemes as suggested by Gekko certainly look terrific.
I've decals too....I think it's certainly the most likely option.
And...excessive I know, but I've just ordered two more Italeri F-4Js from Hannants.
It's a nice kit....no frills, crap internals, but the outside is well-fitting nicely detailed parts with scribed panel lines. The F-4E by them is similar except for the nose of course. The "E" comes with the NON-SLATTED wing, so is OK for early Vietnam era aircraft, and the Japanese EJ, as well as early Israeli and the 12 the Aussie's had for 3 years. Theres decals for all these in the Italeri "E".

Meanwhile....who----hooooooooo :wacko:  

Jennings

Gekko Graphics Paki F-4s??  What?  Where?  How?  There's a "www.gekkographics.com.au" on the web, but I don't think it's our own Richard Chaffer (or doesn't appear to have anything to do with models).

Anyone got an up to date link?

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Radish

Yes, J, it's one and the same.....Gekko= Richard Chafer.

Pakistani FGR2 in the Profiles thread....but mine'll be an F-4D+ish :lol:  

Jennings

QuoteYes, J, it's one and the same.....Gekko= Richard Chafer.

Pakistani FGR2 in the Profiles thread....but mine'll be an F-4D+ish :lol:
Huh?  Profiles thread?  Am I missing something?

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

GTX

QuoteHuh? Profiles thread? Am I missing something?

Yes you are - look here

regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Keith Diamond

Phantom?  I'd like to see this one built up!
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

Radish

The Phantom should be done in a week or so.
The sub-assemblies will be glued together later today, and I'll work on it tomorrow while I wait for the paint on the Jugular Jaguar to dry.
If possible, I hope to finish the painting on the Jag on Thursday and spray the Phantom in Primer (Grey) then.
That means next week (as Friday, Saturday and Sunday are occupied by a busy social life....great, innit!!) I can paint the Phantom. I still might have the rear cockpit as per kit....just haven't made my mind up on it yet.
Good fun though :cheers:  

Radish

Back on track with the Phantom now.
Just need to add the u/c and tailplanes, then the "fun" starts with all the additional bits and bobs. The rear seat is now missing as I've plated over the back cockpit. This'll be detailed with boxes, etc., and have an open lid for maintenance :lol:
Pakistani AF....haven't chosen the scheme yet, but I can guarantee it'll be fully weathered and dirty!
Loaded with missiles and tanks.

Then I've another Monogram one to do (as well as 2 x Italeri F-4Js on the way) and an Italeri F-4E.
Oh....4 x Revell/Hasegawa Phantom FGR2s :D  :D

Who knows, might see something at Milton Keynes??

Rockin' :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  

nev

QuoteGekko Graphics Paki F-4s??  What?  Where?  How?  There's a "www.gekkographics.com.au" on the web, but I don't think it's our own Richard Chaffer (or doesn't appear to have anything to do with models).
Just a friendly reminder to all.  Whereas in rest of the world Paki is to Pakistan what Aussie is to Australia, in Britain its use is liable to get you arrested (no joke).

Terry, I look forward to seeing the finished model (one day!)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

Absolutely, Nev.
If you're at Huddersfield, so will the Phantom.
Two more arrived this morning :D  :D  :D  :D

Chaps one and all, remember in the UK at least, the use of various terms/abbreviations for ethnic groups is a very sensitive area.

Phantoms galore :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

nev

Alas Terry, due to the latest panic at work my shifts have been changed again (I hope all of you who are on pills for high blood pressure are grateful!) and I will be unable to attend Huddersfield.  Still on for Doncaster tho  :party:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Radish

Nev, I know all about "the latest panic at work" syndrome. I "lit a bomb" under management a week or so ago, and they've been running round like headless chickens. Spoke to the Area Manager for 30 minutes or so on Friday and he recognised my reasons for concern.....even gave me his mobile number (only because the (very naughty word) doesn't want me going over his head!), but at the moment, staff are beaming, manager's scowling, or just plain glaring at me.
If they're not careful I'll have the bastards for discrimination :lol:

Look forward to seeing you at Doncaster, Nev.
The u/c is now on, the other bits and bobs will be done today, and then we're into spraying.
Doing the 3-coloured "sand, grey, green" upper surface scheme, but I guarantee it'll be very VERY weathered and dirty, just like some Pakistani MiG-19s/F-6s.
As it's in the interceptor role, the whole airframe was "zeroed" before delivery and the rear seat space occupied with electronics, negating the need for a wizzo.
The rear canopy will be solid, but "open" to show the new additions.
The decals will come from the Model Alliance sheet for Sabres.

Other possibilities for "alternative" Phantoms are:

West German "Marine" in that Off-White/Grey/Black 3-colour wraparound as seen on their Tornadoes.

Saudi (as per the magnificent GEKKO)

African ones have to figure somewhere......possibly Mozambique, Kenya or Rhodesia??

Time will tell. Every one will of course be "tweaked" a bit.

:cheers: