Gaaaaarrrgh!

Started by Nick, February 01, 2007, 03:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

So there I was last night, preparing a model or three for Milton Keynes on Sunday when I learnt something about the properties of Plastic Weld.

PW melts plastic. When you knock a full bottle over it pours out quite fast. It acts frighteningly fast. And it stinks.

After the initial 10 second 'Ooooh Shiiit' moment where you jump up and start grabbing things off your workbench to save them, I realised that I had nowhere to safely put the stuff that was slowly melting in my hands without sticking them to something else.

After 30 seconds I watched the puddle of PW disappear from my green 'self-healing' cutting mat. The green plastic then shrivelled up like the evil witch in the Wizard of Oz. I now have a hand-sized hole in the top of my workmat.

At this point I realized I'd missed one thing. I'd saved the 2 Hawks and the Eurofighter, the various tools and brushes and instruction sheets, uprighted and sealed the PW bottle, but there was one piece of plastic sitting in the puddle.
It is now part melted and rather unusable. It happens to be the canard from the Eurofighter which had taken a lot of work to replace as it was missing when I bought it.

Thoughts:
Don't model when tired as you will knock things over.
Get a different type of instant glue that doesn't need a brush.
Don't swear so loudly that you wake your mother up. :zzz:  :dum:

Nick B)  

Rafael

The three above.

I ask: Can you duplicate, scratchbuild the lost canard?

It would be fun. maybe it won't be the exact equal to the other one, but, under a coat of paint.....

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Martin H

ok what scale was the tiffy?  if its 72nd scale i can help. let me know before sunday nick

<EDIT>  parts problem solved!!  Replacement cannard to be delivered at Milton keynes.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Nick

It was the Airfix 1/72 jobbie. Bit annoying but sure there's ways around it.

Just means I need to be more careful especially as I've been feeling tired all week.
Might go out Saturday to look at prices for another board before I get one at MK.

Nick B)  

Rafael

Gaaaaarrrgh!, Me, too.

Just minutes ago, Nick, after postin in your thread, I was extracting my cast from its mould. It was a plaster mould and the subject was a 1/72 forward foselage (I like how that sounds) of an "undisclosed fast jet". The first half of the mould came out perfectly, and when I popped the cast from the other half, it came off with a big chunk of plaster adhered to it!!!!. I still can't  figure a way to clean it, the resin being so stuck to the plaster.Apparently, I didn't get to all the surface with the demoulding agent (baby oil). So, please don't hear my advice. I better heed yours and go to bed.
Thank U.
Good night.
Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

cthulhu77

Wait for the resin to dry completely ( a day or so), then soak it overnight in water with about a cup of vinegar in it. Plaster will just crumble away.

Riksbar

QuoteDon't model when tired as you will knock things over.

Been there done that. :(

After that I used an old 1/144 kit box with an appropriately sized hole cut in the bottom.   The box goes upside down on the bench and the plastik weld goes in the hole.  It's a lot harder to knock it over then.

HTH
"Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Mossie

Sorry to hear that Nick, nearly had the same problem yesterday with some Humbrol poly, luckily the bottle is nearly empty & none came out by the time I'd up-ended it.  I've had a another accident in the past that wasn't so lucky, seriously damaged an A-10 I was building, rather more bizzare though!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Leigh

I am always knocking my micro-sol and micro-set over, stupid tall thin plastic bottles that you put a brush in, now I always put a big wad of blu-tac around the base and fix it to the bench, saving so much money now that I can make a bottle last more than two decals.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Thoughts:
Don't model when tired as you will knock things over.
Don't swear so loudly that you wake your mother up. :zzz:  :dum:

Nick B)
Decant the PW into a more steady bottle - those old Humbrol square ones are great. I keep a few to avert just this sort of thing.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

I have a modelling tray.
I balance it on my knee when modelling, so spillages are an obvious damger.
I blu-tacked an aerosol can top to the tray corner, and in that resides the glue bottle. Easy to take out if modelling elsewhere, replace, etc.. but also nowt gets spilt.

But I did laugh :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Aircav

Hi Nick
I did the samething about a year again and it doesn't half melt the green plastic layer on cutting mats  :o  :angry:  :unsure:  :(  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Nick

Thanks chaps!

My responses are as follows......

All praises to Our Glorious SIG Leader for valiantly providing a replacement part for my Eurofighter. ;)

Radish: You laughed? You git! You deserve a slap with a kipper!  :P
(Unless you'd enjoy that. In which case, don't. If you know what I mean. :huh: )

Ian: What a tip-top idea! I actually have some of those bottles in the box so might do that. :D

Aircav: Great, ain't it? At least the mats are cheap, about £5 last time I looked. :rolleyes:

Leigh: I have near full jar of Micro-Sol and a near empty jar of Micro-Set cos I know just what you mean. :dum:

Nick B)  

Radish

Nick, a mackerel will give a better "slap" than a kipper.
Will I need to dress up? :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

B777LR

Nick! Do your Eurofighter as a delta winged aircraft! :wub:  or with stub canards!