One For The Canadians

Started by GTX, February 01, 2007, 03:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteThe Brits have cool carrier names, though. Ship names too were cool, gotta hand it to them. They got their act together!
I've got to admit we do do cool ship names (with the odd exception).  HMS Vengeance for a nuclear missile sub, you don't send out a better message than that!

PS Couldn't resist it SoD!
The Odd Exception:

HMS Buttercup
HMS Alladin
HMS Darling
HMS Penelope
HMS Adam & Eve
HMS Frolic
HMS Geranium
HMS Morris Dance...

Go take a look ar RN ship names on Wikipedia for some real howlers.  There are some in there that give the distinct impression that the RN's main offensive weapon is mincing.

Still...gotta hand it to them Battleaxe, Vengeance, Victory, Invincible, and Terror are pretty kickass names (as are many, many more).
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Captain Canada

You know what else would be good names for CDN carriers ? The old names from the NHL conferences. The dirty buggers took away all of our heritage so our southern neighbours wouldn't be confused by the division names.

Prince of Wales

Clarence Campbell

You could also have carriers named after the old divisions :

Patrick, Adams, Smythe, Norris...........

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

upnorth

Interesting thread.

Has Canada ever used its own wildlife as a basis for ship names?

I think something like HMCS Sea Wolf would be cool
(Unless of course the PCers have gotten to it and Sea Wolf is no longer an acceptable nickname for the orca, god knows we can't call them killer whales anymore.)

HMCS Bison has a rather intimidating ring to it and in reality a bison is very big and a very, very bad thing to have coming at you.

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

jcf

QuoteNo problem with the Truman, right?  You're list is "uncool." At least the men you mention all served in the military during WWII.  I hope they go back to the more historical names before they get to the USS Slick Willie. <_<
While George and Jerry saw actual service and danger in the US Navy...Ford being credited with saving his carrier during the typhoon, Ronnie stayed in Hollywood and made training films.

I have no problem with the naming of carriers for Presidents GHW Bush and Gerald Ford, or JFK for that matter, because they were serving officers in the US Navy.  With the exception of FDR the other 'political' names are questionable.

Now back to the subject at hand.

Of course the new Canadian carrier's name should be HMCS Haida Gwai with a crest and colour scheme designed by Alvis. :D

Cheers, Jon  

Alvis 3.1

Quote from: Eddie M.,Feb 2 2007, 03:10 AMNow back to the subject at hand.

Of course the new Canadian carrier's name should be HMCS Haida Gwai with a crest and colour scheme designed by Alvis. :D

Cheers, Jon
Don't tempt me!  :lol:

Alvis 3.1

Mossie

QuoteThe Brits have cool carrier names, though. Ship names too were cool, gotta hand it to them. They got their act together!
I've got to admit we do do cool ship names (with the odd exception).  HMS Vengeance for a nuclear missile sub, you don't send out a better message than that!

PS Couldn't resist it SoD!
The Odd Exception:

HMS Buttercup
HMS Alladin
HMS Darling
HMS Penelope
HMS Adam & Eve
HMS Frolic
HMS Geranium
HMS Morris Dance...

Go take a look ar RN ship names on Wikipedia for some real howlers.  There are some in there that give the distinct impression that the RN's main offensive weapon is mincing.

Still...gotta hand it to them Battleaxe, Vengeance, Victory, Invincible, and Terror are pretty kickass names (as are many, many more).
Yeah, a lot of the WWII names got a bit out of hand, too many ships to name so I think I someone was having a laugh!

HMS Dainty
HMS Fanny
HMS Pansy
HMS Minx
HMS Pert
HMS Quentin
HMS Tiara
HMS Wallflower

Definately a few that wouldn't help the Navy's 'reputation'! :lol:  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Eddie M.

While George and Jerry saw actual service and danger in the US Navy...Ford being credited with saving his carrier during the typhoon, Ronnie stayed in Hollywood and made training films.

Now back to the subject at hand.

Cheers, Jon
And that's why I said "served" for all three. I'm aware of Ronnie's contributions during the war. At least he served.

I do have a question for the Canadians. What does a carrier in HMCS do for your country? Project power? Ensure open sea lines? What's the mission? I had to ask, as I know next to nothing about my neighbors to the north navy.
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Son of Damian

^^^
Catch illegal salmon fishers, support Dudley Dooright :P
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

monkeyhanger

I think nations should keep away from politician's names for ships. They are too divisive. Possible names for the Queen Elizabeth class battleships of 1914/15 were:

Oliver Cromwell
Henry VIII

..... but Winston Churchill didn't like the idea of a battleship being named after a man who committed regicide! I can't see the problem with Henry VIII other than a religious one.

Political correctness can also play a part. There was a suggestion that a Type 42 destroyer would be named HMS Leicester (I was living in the city at the time) but the city council weren't happy because it was a warship.

I think its best to stick to towns/cities/rivers and famous NAVAL people. Although the Leander class (both WWII cruisers and 60/70s frigate) were named after mythical people (except for Cleopatra).

p.s. what about an HMS Margret Thatcher or HMS Tony Blair :angry:  

Sentinel Chicken

Political correctness can also play a part. There was a suggestion that a Type 42 destroyer would be named HMS Leicester (I was living in the city at the time) but the city council weren't happy because it was a warship.

That was an issue when the US Navy named one of their 688-class subs after Corpus Christi, a major naval installation on the Texas Gulf Coast. The thought of a nuclear sub named "Corpus Christi" freaked out the uber-religious and the compromise was to name her "City of Corpus Christi".  

Captain Canada

If you wanted to go the 'naming with names' route, there are loads and loads of Canadian heros from WWI. Do a quick search on the net.

Also, naming after parks would be kinda cool. Algonquin, Gros Morne, etc.

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

anthonyp

In The Manifesto of carrier airwings I did up about a year or so ago, I had a bunch of RCN flatops:

Ontario (Essex) Class:
HMCS Ontario
HMCS Labrador
HMCS British Columbia

Formidable (CVA-01) Class:
HMCS Formidable
HMCS Superior

Majestic (CVV) Class:
HMCS Majestic
HMCS Magnificent

Bonaventure II (Invincible) Class:
HMCS Bonaventure
HMCS Boblo

I'd thought about HMCS Don Cherry as a carrier, but the ship wouldn't be colourful enough to do the man justice.  That man has a taste in suits that defies comprehension.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

anthonyp

QuoteI do have a question for the Canadians. What does a carrier in HMCS do for your country? Project power? Ensure open sea lines? What's the mission? I had to ask, as I know next to nothing about my neighbors to the north navy.
   Eddie
The Bonaventure was an ASW platform towards the end.  It supplemented the US ASW screens in the Atlantic during the 60's.

In The Manifesto, I've got the carriers doing ASW screens, but also countering a larger Soviet navy during the Cold War.  Afterwards, I figure they sail the world, providing humanitarian aid and beer where needed.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Ginge!

HMCS Brocket Ninety Nine

HMCS Double-Double

HMCS Chesterfield

HMCS Beauty, eh

HMCS Tragically Hip

HMCS Shatner

But seriously... HMCS Elizabeth II