Met An Interesting Person Today

Started by AeroplaneDriver, February 02, 2007, 07:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

This week Donna sold a house to a gentleman moving to our part of NC from Las Vegas.  Turns out the guy was a right-seater on F-111s in Vietnam.  He flies back to LV tomorrow so he wanted to take us out to dinner tonight where I enjoyed a few neat war stories over a beers (for example, the Easter Sunday that he had a mission scheduled and showed up to find his -111 loaded with 24 x 500lb bombs, all painted like easter eggs!).

Anyway, a really neat guy, so I was thinking that as part of the 'welcome home' gift that Donna leaves for all her clients I would build a nice SEA F-111, mounted in inflight mode with the wings back on a nice wooden base with a set of USAF Nav wings on the base.

So the request is; are there any 1/48 F-111s other than the Monogram one?  And, does anyone have a 1/48 F-111 they would be interested in parting with for fair market value or a trade?  I know I can find them on eBay, but would rather spend my $$$ here if anyone is looking to get rid of one.

Thanks!

Nick
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Shasper

Go Academy, stay away from Hobby Crap and Zhengdufuk, simple enough.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

BlackOps

Ya gotta add the "Easter Eggs" he would surely get a big kick out of that :) A very nice gesture I might add!

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Supertom

Yep, get the Academy.  The Zhengdefu and Hobbycraft ones are copies of the Academy, but poorly molded.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

GTX

If you don't mind, what was his name?  There weren't too many F-111 crew who served in Vietnam.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

AeroplaneDriver

Duhhh....forgot all about the Academy ones!  One of my LHSs have several in stock IIRC.  

The gentlemans name is Don.  Cant remember his last name.  He and some friends joined the USAF after college and he did his service and left in the early 70s.  Since then he's been out of aviation, but you could see the twinkle in his eye when he talked about going supersonic at 200 feet.

So...next request; where can you find USAF wings online?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Captain Canada

Awesome idea, Nick ! I'm sure he'll love it when he finds that sitting in the new shack !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Leigh

This any help?
They have other types bit hard to find though just do a search for "wings" and plough through the results

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models