B-14 Desert Dawg!

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 03, 2007, 07:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

QuoteI remember an old WWII movie were the crew cut off the tail cone of an early B-17.  Then installed a single 50 cal and the gunner manned it in the prone position.
<snip>

I saw the same movie but can't remember the name.

<snip>
The movie in question is called "Air Force" which was released in 1943, featuring John Ridgely, Gig Young, Arthur Kennedy, and Harry Carey; directed by Howard Hawks. If you look close, you'll see they used Republic P-43 Lancers as "Zeroes" in some of the scenes. The film was loosely based on a true story about B-17s flying out of Mindanao to Australia.

I've always liked those early B-17Bs.

Brian da Basher

Martin H

that would work quite well for a bombload.

I had a simler idea for a coastal command bird useing a Dak a while ago, but never got around to it
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

John Howling Mouse

As for bomb load, why not a semi-recessed bomb load, instead of a full out "proper" bomb bay. That way you avoid any real world issues over that cursed main spar. Myself, I can't see how you'd get a bomb bay in with that in the way...

Vertical bomb racks.  See He111

I'm not sure I understand what I see in the drawing.  Please explain.   :dum:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

PanzerWulff

JHM does this help

The He111 had fairly small amount of space so to maximise it's bombload the bombs were stored nose up in box like bomb racks ,when released they slid out swapped ends (the nose being heavier) and fell normally there are some pretty good shots of this if you can get a hold of the movie "The Battle of Britan" ;)
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

B777LR

Quotethere are some pretty good shots of this if you can get a hold of the movie "The Battle of Britan" ;)
and dont forget beginning scenes of narnia

PanzerWulff

Quotethere are some pretty good shots of this if you can get a hold of the movie "The Battle of Britan" ;)
and dont forget beginning scenes of narnia
Wouldn't know never saw it :P  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Alvis 3.1

As much as I dislike the He-111 style bomb dropping (it looks..messy..which strikes me as VERY un-German! :) ) i admit it fixes the C-47 bomb bay issue neatly!

Alvis 3.1

retro_seventies

sure does...

right barry, no excuse now!  :D  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Alvis 3.1

in an odd coincidence, I was about to embark upon another Monogram-Butcher job myself, using the C-47...talk about weird eh?

Mine is a civvy one, so at least no bomb bay to deal with. However, it has it's own can of screaming worms to deal with. I'm not sure how to proceed...but i hope to see this one soon!

Alvis 3.1

Jeffry Fontaine

Another option is to use the existing airframe attachment points for carriage of external parachute cargo containers which used a simple bomb release mechansim.  This configuration was used extensively for airborne operations where it was necessary to drop heavy equipment bundles at the same time the troops were exiting the aircraft which allowed the bundles to be dropped much closer to the using troops on the ground.  The attached image shows an example of this type of carriage.   While the equipment bundles in this image are canvas bags fitted with parachutes, they were still attached like a "bomb" to the aircraft and released like a "bomb" when over the target/drop zone.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

Parachute cargo container being loaded on C-47
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

Had to edit this one down to make it fit the upload limits.  This is the later model/version of the parachute cargo container carrier for the C-47.

John Howling Mouse

You guys sure know your stuff.  I'm impressed.  Yes, I now understand the vertical bomb configuration on the German bomber (I have "Battle Of Britain" but never noticed that----too excited by the British planes, I suppose).

Here's to hoping Alvis will post in-progress pics of his big DC-3 build so he can be my "sentinel."

I have actually ensured a deeper display shelf was built-in to our new house for these bigger builds----yeah!!!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

PanzerWulff

QuoteYou guys sure know your stuff.  I'm impressed.  Yes, I now understand the vertical bomb configuration on the German bomber (I have "Battle Of Britain" but never noticed that----too excited by the British planes, I suppose).

Here's to hoping Alvis will post in-progress pics of his big DC-3 build so he can be my "sentinel."

I have actually ensured a deeper display shelf was built-in to our new house for these bigger builds----yeah!!!
Glad to be of use John and I know what you mean about "Big Builds" I have a 1/72 B-52G on hold until I figure out somewhere to put it :D
And my favorite part of TBoB was when the Polish squadron when ordered away from the fighting all called out "Repeat Please" one by one as they peeled off to bounce the Germans the whole time their British instructor calling out to them to"cut out that polish chit chat" and "SILENCE in Polish!" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
sorry to get a bit off topic TBoB is one of my Favorite movies :wub:  :P  

Alvis 3.1

I rarely post in build pics, as I flit from project to project like an acid-tripping honeybee! Keeeping tabs on where I was, and what I took pics of, and putting them in some sort of coherent order...thats too much like being organized, and I am FAR from being organized. If I was, I'd build Spitfires until I die!

Alvis 3.1