T-34 Tank

Started by nev, February 08, 2007, 07:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

What is the turret ring size of the VK3002(DB)?

Inspired by what I've seen on Google about Holzgasantrieb tanks, I have a crazy idea of a captured T-34 converted to indigenous (gasoline) engine and then to Holzgas fuel, with gas bottles carried in place of the fuel drum, and finally re-equipped with a VK3002(DB) turret.

And then some might wonder why I took the long way 'round when I can suggest simply doing it with a VK3002(DB) altogether.  ;D
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

dy031101

All the playing World of Tanks these past few days got me interested in one thing:

Quote from: Logan Hartke on September 01, 2008, 10:33:40 AM
It took up a lot of internal volume (which the American VVSS essentially took none of), didn't offer great ground clearance, and was not as durable as many other suspension types.  It also tended to result in longer tanker with narrower tracks.  The springs didn't accept heavier weights as well, so required more wheels to distribute increased weight.

Could someone suggest a further reading on the above-mentioned topic?

Thanks in advance.

====================

To-do list here

rickshaw

Quote from: dy031101 on April 23, 2011, 06:00:51 PM
All the playing World of Tanks these past few days got me interested in one thing:

Quote from: Logan Hartke on September 01, 2008, 10:33:40 AM
It took up a lot of internal volume (which the American VVSS essentially took none of), didn't offer great ground clearance, and was not as durable as many other suspension types.  It also tended to result in longer tanker with narrower tracks.  The springs didn't accept heavier weights as well, so required more wheels to distribute increased weight.

Could someone suggest a further reading on the above-mentioned topic?

Thanks in advance.

Best source I know of is the old Profile on the Christie tanks.   Then perhaps Orgawitz (?sp) who wrote several books on tank design.  Haven't read them for decades though.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

Found the reference:

Ogorkiewicz, Richard M. (1968), Design and Development of Fighting Vehicles, London: MacDonald, ISBN 0-356-01461-4.

Fairly old but still a good read IIRC.   As I said, been a long time since I've read it but he goes into some detail about the design of AFVs.   He's written several books and a shed load of articles since then.  Died IIRC in the 1990s.

dy031101

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

I've always thought that the more successful one of the T-34-100 configurations is equipped with a muzzle brake (the LB-1 gun) and a larger turret......

But after seeing this line drawing, I'm confused:

The one without muzzle brake seems to have a taller turret and a wider turret ring...... or is more to it than the line drawing illustrated?

====================

To-do list here

rickshaw

I think you'll find they are different turrets.  The bottom one looks like a standard T34/85 turret.  The top one a T44 turret.

dy031101

I realized they are different turret.

Are you saying that the successful T-34-100 configuration shares the same turret design as the T-44-100?

====================

To-do list here

rickshaw

Quote from: dy031101 on May 27, 2011, 10:23:12 PM
I realized they are different turret.

Are you saying that the successful T-34-100 configuration shares the same turret design as the T-44-100?

Looks similar thats all I can say.  T44's turret always reminded me of a T34/85's turret without the collar around the bottom.

You aware that the Jugoslavs built their own T34/100?  Looked very similar to the lower vehicle, using a standard T34/85 turret (of their own manufacture which was different to the Soviet one).

Mr.Creak

Quote from: rickshaw on April 24, 2011, 01:26:42 AMDied IIRC in the 1990s.
He's still listed in Debrett's , AFAIK people are removed when they die.
His two-volume Technology of Tanks (1991) (an expansion of Design & Development - which in turn was an update of Armour (1960)) is well worth getting hold of. Providing you have 300 quid to spare!  ;)
What if... I had a brain?

dy031101

====================

To-do list here

raafif

We all know that the Panther was Germany's attempt to copy the T-34's abilities but one of the other prototypes was the Daimler-Benz VK3002 built on a BMM chassis ...
http://www.jttk.zaq.ne.jp/a-if/35-0075.html

Looks rather like a shrunken T-34 & may have been easily mis-identified on the battlefied too :-X
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

I think you'll find its actually slightly larger.  As to mistaken identities - always a danger on a battlefield - they more than likely would use oversize markings to try and prevent blue-on-blue incidents.

NARSES2

I've commented elsewhere but that's  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.