B-52 Stratofortress

Started by Chris707, November 19, 2004, 04:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Jschmus,

QuoteI found this in philp's pictures from the Nats.  It was entered in the humor category, but I think it's fairly accurate, don't you?

LOL!  I like it
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

famvburg

That's what they said about the Hueys when the Black Hawks came out. I don't think it held true.......... :(

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on August 16, 2010, 06:22:26 PM
Quote from: Jschmus on August 16, 2010, 06:00:46 PMI found this in philp's pictures from the Nats.  It was entered in the humor category, but I think it's fairly accurate, don't you?

Nice find. 

When the B-One and B-2 are finally retired it will be a B-52 that picks up the ferry crews and returns them to their duty stations. 

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: famvburg on August 17, 2010, 06:58:03 AM
       That's what they said about the Hueys when the Black Hawks came out. I don't think it held true.......... :(

Hmmm, with the new UH-1Y, who knows? :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Fulcrum

Quote from: Jschmus on August 16, 2010, 06:00:46 PM
I found this in philp's pictures from the Nats.  It was entered in the humor category, but I think it's fairly accurate, don't you?
B-52: When USAF/Starfleet needs something to bomb the stuffing out of their enemies.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

GTX

I found this in philp's pictures from the Nats.  It was entered in the humor category, but I think it's fairly accurate, don't you?

Brilliant!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Captain Canada

RE: ASW, sounds like the USAF has made major steps in that direction, using the AN/ASQ-236 Dragon's Eye radar pod. From what I read, the idea is that a B-52 could provide perimeter defence allowing the fleet to concentrate on offensive rather than defensive missions.

Now I want to build one.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: GTX on August 20, 2010, 02:07:09 PM

Brilliant!

Regards,

Greg

Agreed
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

It will never happen! The USAF has had every opportunity to reengine the BUFF and hasn't done it yet. I think it will be the year 2500 and these aircraft will be still be flying with TF-33s.

Clever model, no doubt!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

I bet they end up doing it.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/show-daily/afa/2015/02/12/b52-engine-private-public-partnership/23185827/

"Analysts have identified the Pratt PW2000 engine, known as the F117 on military aircraft, as a potential replacement. That engine is used on the 757 commercial jet, which ended production about a decade ago, and the C-17 military cargo plane, which ends production this year.

Speaking the day before Holmes, Bennett Croswell, head of Pratt's military engines unit, told reporters his company has made "some very attractive offerings" to the Air Force.

Croswell said that while the F117 may be logical, in the past there were issues with control authority of the plane that could have required a re-wing to mount the more powerful engines. That problem has been solved, he said, and the company has offerings that can keep the eight-engine configuration."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_PW2000

Rheged

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 13, 2015, 10:54:26 AM
"Analysts have identified the Pratt PW2000 engine, known as the F117 on military aircraft, as a potential replacement. That engine is used on the 757 commercial jet, which ended production about a decade ago, and the C-17 military cargo plane, which ends production this year.

As I recall, they thought about 4 Rolls Royce  RB211s  some time ago..........but I suppose that the Not Invented Here Syndrome would apply.  There's a lot of NIHS about!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Mmm, yeah Boeing proposed the RB211-535 because of their experience with the engine on 7475767. :rolleyes:

The major issue was the level of redesign required in the switch from eight to four engines, as the Pratt guy
stated, everybody was looking at basically re-designing the wing which would have rendered any $avings
moot.

jcf

From Flight Global

PARIS: P&W developing upgrade package for B-52 engine
By: STEPHEN TRIMBLEPARIS Source:  6 hours ago
Pratt & Whitney is developing a proposal for a package of performance upgrades for the existing Boeing B-52 engine after
the US Air Force again postponed a plan to replace the venerable bomber's 60-year old TF33 engine.

Several four-engined solutions have been evaluated by the USAF to replace the eight TF33s on board each B-52H.

But the four-engined aircraft may not have enough rudder authority to counter the adverse yaw generated by an
outboard engine-out scenario, says P&W military engines president Bennett Croswell.

So P&W proposed a re-engined B-52s with eight new turbofan engines, but the USAF instead decided to postpone the programme,
he says.

The TF33 was derived from the original P&W JT3 turbojet engine that drove the first generation of jet-powered Amercian airliners.

P&W is developing an upgrade package to improve the fuel and maintenance performance for the TF33 through the end of its service life.
The USAF currently plans to operate the B-52 fleet to at least 2060.

Note this line: But the four-engined aircraft may not have enough rudder authority to counter the adverse yaw generated by an outboard
engine-out scenario,
says P&W military engines president Bennett Croswell.

So perhaps a four-engine B-52 would need the old D model tail?  ;D

sandiego89

Tall tailed BUFF's always looked better to me.....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 15, 2015, 01:10:30 PM

So perhaps a four-engine B-52 would need the old D model tail?  ;D

My thoughts exactly.

But this must be at least the third time they've proposed a 4 engine BUFF so how come it's taken THIS long for anyone to come up with the 'lack of rudder authority' business?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit