B-52 Stratofortress

Started by Chris707, November 19, 2004, 04:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Yes they do look good. Funny how there's simple stuff like this that you never think about....folk would miss the smoke tho if they did change the engines tho !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 15, 2015, 03:24:11 PM
Yes they do look good. Funny how there's simple stuff like this that you never think about....folk would miss the smoke tho if they did change the engines tho !

And the knucklebusters and supply guys would be grateful for it.  Think of how expensive it is to keep TF33 parts in stock.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

No, repeat, no engine change, P&W are just going to upgrade the TF33s.
Just have to wait and see what that means.

NARSES2

So the USAF plan to operate them until 2060 ?

Very much doubt if I will see that  :rolleyes: but will this be the first aircraft to reach it's centenary in military service ? I can't think of anything else that could/might but it never ceases to amaze me what is out there and what you lot know  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 16, 2015, 06:20:42 AM

but will this be the first aircraft to reach it's centenary in military service ?

My dubious math has the C-47 at 74 years right now....still with a few air arms....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Yup the Dakota is the obvious one. I knew it was still flying in a civilian guise but thought all the military ones had been retired, albeit only a year or so ago ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 17, 2015, 06:21:36 AM
Yup the Dakota is the obvious one. I knew it was still flying in a civilian guise but thought all the military ones had been retired, albeit only a year or so ago ?

Not sure.  The Basler site list a few air arms that recived the turbo-daks, but not sure if it is current. It can be tough to find how operational some aircraft are with some of these air arms. http://www.baslerturbo.com/bt-67-worldwide.html  

If the Dak or BUFF does not make 100 years, my second bet to make 100 years would be the C-130.  First flew in August 1954 & still rolling off the line....so 39 more years to make 100.  Entirely possible.  

Although a few years behind the BUFF (1952 ff) and C-130 (1954), the UH-1 should also have a pretty long run, with the first flying in October 1956....  
Dave "Sandiego89"

lenny100

its the bbmf dak still a operational aircraft, it strictly not part of the flight but provides transport and large tail wheel flight training for the lanc
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

McColm

I thought the An-2 Colt was the oldest aircraft flying and I think it's still in production, fitted with a turboprop.

Captain Canada

The Herc will live on forever if you ask me !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: McColm on June 17, 2015, 08:14:30 PM
I thought the An-2 Colt was the oldest aircraft flying and I think it's still in production, fitted with a turboprop.

Colts were a post-war bird.  Introduced in 1946.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Logan Hartke

Here's an odd one ripped from the headlines:

Flightglobal: USAF flaunts 'arsenal plane' concept at Air Warfare Symposium

The love child of a C-130 and a B-52, it reminds me a lot of the old C-123A, just sixty years on!

Cheers,

Logan

KJ_Lesnick

JCF

QuoteCroswell said that while the F117 may be logical, in the past there were issues with control authority of the plane that could have required a re-wing to mount the more powerful engines. That problem has been solved, he said, and the company has offerings that can keep the eight-engine configuration."
I thought they were going to go with the RB-211, but nonetheless I figure an American design would be better for an American plane

As for engine-engine options, I'd say the F-404 or F-414 would be good candidates for the engine-engine configuration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_PW2000
[/quote]
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

AS.12

Snippet from Aviation Week in May 1955.  From Assistant Secretary of Defense for Systems Application Frank Newbury:

It was recommended that the KC-135 be discontinued and replaced by converted B-36 and B-52 aircraft until such time as the characteristics of a special jet tanker could be more permanently delineated.

Eventually his office's recommendation was over-ruled by Defense Seretary Charles Wilson but there's a point of divergence for you all to create a Buff with a Boom ;)

sandiego89

Now it looks like on-and-off re-engining replacement will now focus on a 8 for 8 engine replacement, not the earlier mused 4 for 8, which had better WHIF potential. 

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/usaf-details-scope-and-schedule-for-b-52-re-engining-444327/

Regardless an order for around 600 bizjet engines sounds like a pretty good contract for someone....
Dave "Sandiego89"