P-38 Lightning

Started by Radish, October 09, 2005, 05:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

There have been various conversions made of the P-38 into a naval, carrier-born aircraft, the best being one with radials substituted for the inlines.
But I'm going for a minimal-modification.....probably just a hook and wingfold.

The inspiration is a toy I spotted while at the Midland Air Museum yesterday.
It was all white, with Suez yellow/black markings and FRENCH NAVY markings.
Fantastic...... :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
And yes, it WAS a P-38!!!!!!
:lol:
So, the story is.....

when the Suez Campaign kicked off in November 1956, the French Admiral in the French Caribbean thought it was a disgrace that he wasn't invited. He redirected his flagship, the carrier "Saint Louis XI" to the Mediterranean, with its complement of F4U-7 Corsairs, Avengers, etc.. It also had on board his own personal aircraft, a veteran Lockheed Lightning.....anyone know its designation??
This Lightning, or Sea Lightning F.6 to be precise, was in the normal French Navy tropical camouflage scheme of all over white......same for the Corsairs, et all.
The Lightning was flown on at least two missions at Suez, wearing neat yellow/black striping around the wings and twin booms.
Bombs under the wing centre-sections. :party:

Eh? :dum:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

You know, pics would be nice.  Especially since you'll probably be finished this model within a few days of starting it!  

Your PC up and running yet or you still bothering...uh, borrowing your daughter's?

Bet SHE could show you how to use your digicam!   ;)
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteThere have been various conversions made of the P-38 into a naval, carrier-born aircraft, the best being one with radials substituted for the inlines.
But I'm going for a minimal-modification.....probably just a hook and wingfold.

The inspiration is a toy I spotted while at the Midland Air Museum yesterday.
It was all white, with Suez yellow/black markings and FRENCH NAVY markings.
Fantastic...... :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
And yes, it WAS a P-38!!!!!!
:lol:
So, the story is.....

when the Suez Campaign kicked off in November 1956, the French Admiral in the French Caribbean thought it was a disgrace that he wasn't invited. He redirected his flagship, the carrier "Saint Louis XI" to the Mediterranean, with its complement of F4U-7 Corsairs, Avengers, etc.. It also had on board his own personal aircraft, a veteran Lockheed Lightning.....anyone know its designation??
This Lightning, or Sea Lightning F.6 to be precise, was in the normal French Navy tropical camouflage scheme of all over white......same for the Corsairs, et all.
The Lightning was flown on at least two missions at Suez, wearing neat yellow/black striping around the wings and twin booms.
Bombs under the wing centre-sections. :party:

Eh? :dum:
Too much talk, not enuff models......

Build it as soon as you finish that Hind/MiG hybrid...... I dare ya ! :ph34r:

I H-G

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

P1127

Or stick a pair of Merlins on it, and a Sea hornet scheme...
It's not an effing  jump jet.

lancer

Only you can come up with that kind of an idea in a gift shop Rad...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Joe C-P

Where are you putting the tailhook? Center of the tail or the cockpit pod?

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

P1127

Float plane, but I don't know of a carrier - I'll check the Bodie book.
It's not an effing  jump jet.

Madoc

P,

Here's what I came up with via Google:

Lockheed proposed a carrier-based "Model 822" version of the Lightning for the United States Navy. The Model 822 would have featured folding wings, an arresting hook, and stronger undercarriage for carrier operations. The Navy wasn't interested, as they regarded the Lightning as too big for carrier operations and didn't like liquid-cooled engines anyway, and the Model 822 never went beyond the paper stage. However, the Navy did operate four land-based F-5Bs in North Africa, with these aircraft inherited from the USAAF and redesignated "FO-1."

Hope that helps.

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

aerofile83

i can't belive no one posted this, i have always loved the plane wish i had the skils to build one my self. i think it would look bad donkey with wings that folded back like on a hellcat.

casey :ar:

Irish Airforce Inc.  est 2006[/size]

NARSES2

That is one superb piece of work
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

yeah, she's a corker  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Spellbinder99

That is an awesome model! Who built it may I ask?

The only thing I would change would be to double fold the wings for hanger head height and make some indication they were power folding.

But a great piece of work.

Cheers

Tony

lancer

That P38 surely looks good with radial engines fitted in place of the usual in-line liquid cooled ones.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

aerofile83

i found it over at ARC you can contact the fellow who built it at

MUCAROTO@Mattel.com

his name is Tory Mucaroto

great work isn't it
       Irish Airforce Inc.  est 2006[/size]

pometablava

Thanks a lot for your help Madoc!!! :cheers:
It is a great value information for me.

Also my thanks to Aerofile83 for the pic. The model looks superb!

Antonio
Manzana in corpore sano