P-38 Lightning

Started by Radish, October 09, 2005, 05:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

It looks cool :mellow: but the wing tips are too high :-\

As an American aircraft I would expect them to use a rotating-backwards-folding system similar to that of the F6F Hellcat. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Double-fold them, like a Gannet.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 23, 2023, 03:22:02 AMIt looks cool :mellow: but the wing tips are too high :-\

As an American aircraft I would expect them to use a rotating-backwards-folding system similar to that of the F6F Hellcat. :thumbsup:
That wing fold system was unique to Grumman and dropped by the time they got to the F7F Tigercat and F8F Bearcat.
Vought and Curtiss used the much simpler, and lighter, up and over outer wing panels, Lockheed would most likely have done the same. 

PR19_Kit

Maybe fold them sideways, like a Barracuda................?

On second thoughts, DON'T fold them like a Barracuda, they may never be able to UN-fold them afterwards!   :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 30, 2023, 03:11:18 PMMaybe fold them sideways, like a Barracuda................?

On second thoughts, DON'T fold them like a Barracuda, they may never be able to UN-fold them afterwards!   :-\

I've often thought that system was designed by an enemy agent  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 31, 2023, 02:03:12 AMI've often thought that system was designed by an enemy agent  ;)

So did Eric Brown!  ;D

Regards
Kit

Rheged

I understand from a recent "Digging for Britain" TV archaeology programme that  the Fleet Air Arm museum have recovered copious substantial lumps of Barracuda from the Solent, and plan to combine them with other fragments into a patchwork airframe
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

That'd be very good, there's very little of the one they have got there at the moment, and it's such a fascinating, if bizarre aeroplane.

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

I've seen a model of a P-38 turned into a Space Fighter, but I can't find the original site.
(possibly StarShip Modeller, but time has blurred memory).

Basically, it was turned around so the wing trailing edge became the leading edge, the booms cut off after (ahead of) the side intakes and they became weapons positions, the spinners were removed and some engine nozzles were stuck there and the cockpit was painted over with a more Hawk 200/Sea Harrier-style arrangement.
Scheme was dark grey with Grey/Black roundels and Grey/Grey/Black Union Jacks.

Pretty cool, and I intend to use a surplus Hasegawa kit to do one... some time.

Joe C-P

Quote from: perttime on December 23, 2023, 12:47:34 AMThis thread started from naval versions of the P-38. Not sure if there are many pictured here - but I just found a few at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4469849-Lockheed-XFM-2

You cannot view this attachment.

Radials!  Wildcat, Corsair, or Hellcat engines grafted onto a P-38.  With torpedoes slung under the center section.  Yummy! :mellow:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

perttime

Quote from: JoeP on January 27, 2024, 08:58:47 AM
Quote from: perttime on December 23, 2023, 12:47:34 AMThis thread started from naval versions of the P-38. Not sure if there are many pictured here - but I just found a few at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4469849-Lockheed-XFM-2

Radials!  Wildcat, Corsair, or Hellcat engines grafted onto a P-38.  With torpedoes slung under the center section.  Yummy! :mellow:
One of the attachments in the rcgroups post mentions Pratt & Whitney R-1535, so not one of the really big engines. Also noted is that there do not seem to be turbocharger inlets on the tail booms.

jcf

Quote from: perttime on January 27, 2024, 09:32:02 AM
Quote from: JoeP on January 27, 2024, 08:58:47 AM

One of the attachments in the rcgroups post mentions Pratt & Whitney R-1535, so not one of the really big engines. Also noted is that there do not seem to be turbocharger inlets on the tail booms.

The turbosuperchargers of the P-38 were mounted in the wing above the landing gear bays and would
have been in the same location with the R-1535. If they had added turbosupercharging to the package.

perttime

I think I misread something.... It must be the radiators on the tail booms. Not needed with radials.