P-38 Lightning

Started by Radish, October 09, 2005, 05:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

But aren't there also intercoolers in that area for air coming from the turbochargers?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Just call me Ray

I guess you could do like the P-47 and have chin-mounted intercoolers.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

jcf

Quote from: elmayerle on November 21, 2009, 11:28:41 PM
But aren't there also intercoolers in that area for air coming from the turbochargers?

Through the P-38H the inter-coolers were the hollow wing leading edge.
From the "J" on, the big-chin models, the nacelles were deepened and
core-type inter-coolers were installed alongside the oil coolers.

jcf

Quote from: Just call me Ray on November 22, 2009, 12:12:48 PM

The P-47 intercooler was located in the aft fuselage just forward of the turbo-supercharger.

Cybermax

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 24, 2009, 10:44:26 AM
Quote from: Just call me Ray on November 22, 2009, 12:12:48 PM

The P-47 intercooler was located in the aft fuselage just forward of the turbo-supercharger.

That's a lot of plumbing :o

ysi_maniac

Quote from: salt6 on November 24, 2009, 03:47:45 PM
Here's one I started several years ago.

and the leftovers,

Love both :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

Ok, first up I'll say that I know the RAAF did fly some P-38s (In order to meet an urgent RAAF requirement for photographic reconnaissance, three P-38Es were transferred from the USAAC for service with No 1 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit - they flew under the A55-X code).  However, what if the RAAF selected the P-38 as it's primary fighter instead of the P-51 - maybe the performance of the Lightning in the Pacific + the safety of twin engines attracts them?  Of course this opens the possibility for RAAF CAC P-38s in Korea. 

Alternatively, what about the P-38 instead of the Beau fighter?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

How would a Yak-15-style jet power conversion for P-38's twin booms have looked?  :cheers:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

PR19_Kit

Quote from: dy031101 on August 11, 2010, 05:06:58 PM
How would a Yak-15-style jet power conversion for P-38's twin booms have looked?  :cheers:

Awesome! :)

But I'd hate to be the runway that they operated from!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

The P-38's got tricycle undercarriage, the runway can breathe a sigh of relief!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

dy031101

Quote from: Mossie on August 12, 2010, 04:24:35 AM

Which reminds me that we need to work out where the two main landing gears should be relocated to first.  :banghead:

Maybe having them retracting forward this time around?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on August 12, 2010, 06:14:01 AM

Which reminds me that we need to work out where the two main landing gears should be relocated to first.  :banghead:

Maybe having them retracting forward this time around?

Bifurcated exhaust ala the Hawker Sea Hawk.

PR19_Kit

But it does sit awfully nose high, and Yak-15 type exhausts would be below the line of the booms. I'd still rather be the pilot....  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on May 24, 2010, 12:16:55 PM
Ok, first up I'll say that I know the RAAF did fly some P-38s (In order to meet an urgent RAAF requirement for photographic reconnaissance, three P-38Es were transferred from the USAAC for service with No 1 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit - they flew under the A55-X code).  However, what if the RAAF selected the P-38 as it's primary fighter instead of the P-51 - maybe the performance of the Lightning in the Pacific + the safety of twin engines attracts them?  Of course this opens the possibility for RAAF CAC P-38s in Korea. 

Regards,

Greg

I like your idea Greg, how about a CAC P-38 with some serious power, ----- Griffons and contra-props
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 12, 2010, 01:37:56 PM
Quote from: GTX on May 24, 2010, 12:16:55 PM

Regards,

Greg

I like your idea Greg, how about a CAC P-38 with some serious power, ----- Griffons and contra-props

I can live with that.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!