P-38 Lightning

Started by Radish, October 09, 2005, 05:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReccePhreak

I don't know if this is a "what-if", or if it actually existed. I have been unable to find proof. A LOOONG time ago, I read where the French Air Force put one of their recce noses (F-4A, F-5A) on a P-38M Night Lightning. I have always wanted to do this mod, probably using the old Monogram 1/48 P-38 kit, which has all the needed parts. Since I have no photographic proof, I will have to use a SWAG for the camo scheme.
Larry

Pablo1965

The pull and push model is really good, I think probably better than the original. By other hand isn't necessary the propeler opposite turn because the engine are in inverse position, making easy the building process.
:thumbsup:

ReccePhreak

Quote from: apophenia on September 26, 2010, 04:10:31 PM

Engaging JMN mode ... Larry, AFAIK, the Armée de l'Air had neither P-38Ms nor F-5As.

The P-38M story is probably a myth resulting from warbird listings of 44-53025 and 44-53087.

JMN mode off ... whif that sucker!

I don't think the story I read said that the French "officially" got a P-38M, just that they put a recce nose on one.
But, like you said, I will WHIF it. I can't see the Monogram P-38 kit going to waste, even though it's not up to other people's "standards".

Larry

Tophe

Belated congratulations for this topic (especially to GTX) that I discover just today with the Search tool... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Joe C-P

Had some ideas.

Push-pull engines in the center pod, but cockpits in the booms ala the F-82.

Small podded jets under the wings between the cockpit and booms.

Replace the booms with a single tail off the center pod and replace the props with turboprops or jets.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

dy031101

Quote from: JoeP on November 14, 2010, 02:27:28 PM

Put heavier cannons in the booms as well?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Tophe

Had some ideas.
Small podded jets under the wings between the cockpit and booms.
Replace the booms with a single tail off the center pod and replace the props with turboprops or jets.
All these ideas have been considered, don't you know my what-if P-38 site http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/#Sit (part of it is serious) ;D

Joe C-P

Quote from: dy031101 on November 14, 2010, 07:27:16 PM

Put heavier cannons in the booms as well?

Oo, yummy!
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

GTX

A slightly improved version of that old chestnut, the Griffon Lightning:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Daryl J.

Tophe

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

rickshaw

Nice but wouldn't it need bigger radiators?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Gondor

Quote from: rickshaw on February 20, 2011, 12:12:02 AM

It probably does have deeper radiators but line drawings do not show depth and there are four radiators anyway.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Tophe

Quote from: rickshaw on February 20, 2011, 12:12:02 AM
Good idea! And bigger fins because of the turbulent airflows? That would enrich even further the silhouettes collection ;D