Swedish Ufo Intercept!

Started by Son of Damian, February 10, 2007, 08:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteThat is an awesome bit of art, my new wallpaper!
Yep me too !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Matt Wiser

Ask for more information and ye shall receive:

The Mantell case is still open; while the USAF has tossed around the balloon explanation, a check of the USN Skyhook high-altitude research balloon project revealed that no balloons were in Western KY (the location of the Mantell incident) at that time-7 Jan 1948. In addition, the Mantell family and a UFO researcher went to the crash site of the F-51 and using a metal detector and geiger counter, looked for any wreckage the USAF missed in 1948 (the show Sightings had the story). And they found some-which was low-level radioactive-about equal to a chest X-Ray, but still, after 55 years, a little hot. The USAF tower operator, before he died, confirmed Mantell's description of a large metallic object, and in the tower operator's view, was moving against the wind. (Also on the Sightings episode) The incident took place near Godman AFB, which is now Godman AAF at Fort Knox. UFO was described as a large saucer-shaped object est. by both USAF Tower Personnel and KY State Police (who made the initial report) at 250-300 ft. in diameter.

The Belgian AF did admit their inability to explain the Belgian UFO wave in 1989-90, which did involve an F-16 scramble and radar track of a bogey seen by law enforcement and civilians near Brussels in June of '90. The F-16 pilots never had a visual, but the radar was enough: acceleration from 160 kts to 2000 in 4 sec. and a dive from 5,000 ft. to treetop level with a turn estimated at 20Gs. (Which would've killed any human pilot) (Unsolved Mysteries and Sightings)

The Iranian scramble was a IIAF scramble involving an F-4E on 19/20 Jul 1976. The pilot did attempt a shootdown, but the bogey jammed everything: radar, radio, intercom, and weapons-control. When the plane moved away from the bogey and maintained a 10 mile separation, the jammed systems returned to normal. (Sightings and Above Top Secret by Timothy Good)

A Dutch AF F-86K on 29 June 1962 attempted a shootdown of a disk-shaped object over Eastern Holland; after GCI radioed a demand for ID, the pilot of the F-86 was told to arm his two AIM-9B missiles and 20-mm cannon and destroy the object. Before he could fire, the UFO accelerated away at an estimated 4,000 MPH. (Keyhoe's Aliens From Space)

Finally, a USAF F-86 near Kirtland AFB, NM in June of 1952 was directed by GCI to intercept a bogey near the Los Alamos Atomic Facility. The pilot spotted a disk-shaped object about 70ft. in diameter and metallic-looking. He armed his six .50 cals and when he closed to 1,000 yards, opened fire. The UFO simply sped away and disappeared into the distance. (Report on Unidentified Flying Objects, by USAF Maj. Ed Ruppelt (ret), former head of Project Blue Book)  
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

Son of Damian

QuoteThe Belgian AF did admit their inability to explain the Belgian UFO wave in 1989-90, which did involve an F-16 scramble and radar track of a bogey seen by law enforcement and civilians near Brussels in June of '90. The F-16 pilots never had a visual, but the radar was enough: acceleration from 160 kts to 2000 in 4 sec. and a dive from 5,000 ft. to treetop level with a turn estimated at 20Gs. (Which would've killed any human pilot) (Unsolved Mysteries and Sightings)

Wasn't the UFO also tracked for a brief few seconds by both the F-16s radar and CGI radar, sort os proving something was there?
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Matt Wiser

Yes, both GCI and the F-16s had radar contact. In fact, two GCI stations near Brussels had the target, which was where it was being reported by civilians and law enforcement. The decision was made to scramble two F-16s to intercept and ID the bogey. While the pilots never had a visual, they did have radar contact. So you have four different radars: two ground, and two air. The Belgian AF to this day still considers the case as "Unidentified." The ground description was just a tringular pattern of white lights at est. 5,000-7,000 feet. But radar only had one target, so the lights were attached to...something else. Neither F-16 was cleared to fire, though.

The Cuban AF tried a scramble in 1967, according to a former USAF SIGINT operator at a field station at NAS Key West, FL. Two MiG-21s were scrambled after an unidentified radar target approaching Cuba from the NW. When the MiGs got a visual, all they saw was a metallic sphere with no wings, fuselage, tail, etc. After a demand for ID was ignored, the Cuban GCI told the MiG pilots to destroy the object. The lead responded he had armed his missiles and had a lock-on. Then the wingman screamed into the radio: the lead's plane had exploded. The UFO then climbed to 100,000 feet and headed towards South America. The SIGINT operator was told to ship all tapes, transcripts, logs, etc. to Fort Meade, MD (NSA HQ) and list the MiG's loss as due to equipment malfunction. (Good, Above Top Secret)

According to Tim Good's Above Top Secret: several times in the 1960s and 70s, there were UFO sightings on a number of occasions in South Korea, once several objects flew over Blue House (the ROK Presidential Residence) and there were not only interceptors scrambled, but the AAA around Seoul opened fire in several instances. He also reports that Indonesia in 1965 had a similar pattern of reports, and an Indonesian AF General admitted that "several times our air defense was obliged to open fire on them." (he didn't specify if it was AAA or interceptors doing the shooting.)  
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

seavixen

That UFO certainly has some issues with it's powerplant. So much for advanced alien technology!
Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

B777LR

QuoteThat UFO certainly has some issues with it's powerplant. So much for advanced alien technology!
Me thinks its more because the superior technology in the SAAB Tunnan that has caused the UFO to fly in the way of 20 mm cannon shells :lol:  

monkeyhanger

I knew this would happen. all the UFO stories come out. It is just a good piece of art and as I said it will probably get swept up with the conspiracy theorists to 'prove' UFOs exist. A famous 'positive' siting comes from the early 1970s. A film exists that shows tourists at an American park pointing at an object in the sky going very fast. Recent analysis of the film has shown that the object is an Earth grazing lump of rock that skimmed the atmosphere rather like playing ducks and drakes. No Little Green Men (LGMs). One theory proposed after the discovery of pulsars was that they are interstellar navigation beacons. No, they turned out to be the cores of collapsed stars.

I use Occum's razor. The most likely explanation of a phenomenon is the simplest, and constructing a space travelling civillisation that seems to come to Earth and take the mickey is highly unlikely. People want to believe. the number of times I have been asked if I 'believe' in aliens. This suggests an act of faith, rather liek a religion. A lot of us must recall the 'Chariots of the Gods' books from the early seventies. Proved to be complete rubbish in the 1980s, but which makes more money?

I'm not saying aliens don't exist, the Universe is so vast that there must be other life out there, I just don't think it has been here yet. The subject is clouded by 'independant thinkers' (to quote Sir Patrick Moore) who make up stories and embellish the facts. I've have had lots of flying saucer reports from people over the years.

When sir Patrick was asked 'what would you do if you met and alien' his reply was to say:

How do you do. would you like a cup of tea and invite them to the nearest TV studio.

Anyway, great picture.........

Joe C-P

It's alien teenagers. They ride around space in their hotrods, and like tease the primitives by putting on weird hats or dressing up in grey outfits and landing in some out-of-the-way place where only a couple of local yokels will see them.

(Credit to Douglas Adams)

However, here in NJ, it's alien entrepreneurs. They suck up the "toxins" in the local air, ground, and water to resell on other planets.

It's true, I tell ya!

Cool image that started this thread.  B)

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

monkeyhanger

OK JoeP, obviously you are a hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is........

BTW The pub in the film version of The Hitch Hikers Guide to the galaxy is in Hare Street, Hertfordshire (it is called the Bee Hive). It is a really good pub and I was dissapointed that none of the locals where allowed to be extras. Mel, the landlord, is a real gent and the beer is tremendous.......

Does anyone remember a novel from the 1970s. The cover was a Sopwith Camel flying over an airfield with burning Jaguars and F104s (the camel was responsible). Great picture

Nick

QuoteOK JoeP, obviously you are a hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is........

Does anyone remember a novel from the 1970s. The cover was a Sopwith Camel flying over an airfield with burning Jaguars and F104s (the camel was responsible). Great picture
The book was Mediterranean Caper (also titled 'Mayday') by Clive Cussler, one of the Dirk Pitt novels.

But....it wasn't a Sopwith Camel but a yellow painted Albatros which, as you say, was used by a baddy (who else!) to destroy an airfield lineup of jet fighters. Dirk and Rudy are flying nearby in a PBY Catalina and roar in to scare the villain off.

Apparently old Cussler had some trouble with getting jet fighter names right, being much better with transports he worked on while serving in Korea. The Med Caper/Mayday calls the attacked jets 'F-105 Starfires' while in other books he talks of using F-21s over Vietnam.

The cover art on the British edition which was titled Mayday for some obscure reason, shows the Albatros destroying a parked F-104, the earlier edition shows an A-4 Skyhawk and a Jaguar burning.

http://www.cusslermen.com/maydayfpb.htm

Nick B)  

Son of Damian

QuoteI knew this would happen. all the UFO stories come out. It is just a good piece of art and as I said it will probably get swept up with the conspiracy theorists to 'prove' UFOs exist.

take a breath and calm down. The reason I asked for more details about the various stories of AF intercepts of UFOs because they are far more interesting than Billy Bod was out and his field when... Not to mention people with a lot training for there job like a cop or a pilot is a far more credible witness. The idea that governments might have covered up encounters between the military and aliens hits a cord that is simply fascinating. Sort of like the idea that Jesus and Mary had a kid, who was spirited off to France, and that a holy blood line exists to this day. Not necessarily true but interesting, cause for thought.  

QuotePeople want to believe. the number of times I have been asked if I 'believe' in aliens. This suggests an act of faith, rather liek a religion.

Thats what wrong with die hard UFO believers, they make the jump of faith without testing it, if you have ever seen a UFO show on one of the educational channels you will know what I mean. To me it alls boils down to this simple axiom of mine

Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing.  

If you believe in UFOs and you see something mysterious in the sky its automatically a UFO. If you don't believe in UFOs and you see something mysterious in the sky its a satellite, an airplane, or a star/planet.
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sentinel Chicken

QuoteIf you believe in UFOs and you see something mysterious in the sky its automatically a UFO. If you don't believe in UFOs and you see something mysterious in the sky its a satellite, an airplane, or a star/planet.
I used to believe I could woo hot chicks and when I saw one, I could win her over. Then I later realized I was just an airplane geek and if I saw a hot chick that I was wooing over, it had to have been beer googles at work.  

elmayerle

I'm keeping an open mind on UFOs.  One sighting that does make me go "Hmmm?" was over the Gulf of Mexico in the 1950s (I think it was 1954).  A UFO was tracked visually from the cockpit of an ERB-47 and electronically by the ELINT equipment in the "can" in the weapons bay.  The fact that it was emitting a signal that didn't match any then in use does make me wonder.  This is one of the very few sightings the AIAA considers worthy of interest.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Maverick

I think it's safe to say that to consider ourselves the only intelligent species within our Galaxy let alone Universe would be quite an egotistic statement in the extreme, regardless of religious beliefs or otherwise.

"Remember, Trust No One"

elmayerle

well, I think a good arguement could be made that life elsewhere is intelligent if they haven't made an effort to contact us.  ;)  
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin