Raaf Mirage 2000

Started by Mike Wren, February 11, 2007, 10:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

here's another one that I've dusted off (I think it's a year since I actually painted it), a 1/72 Revell/Italeri Mirage 2000C in Aussie colours, have been busy painting all the stores today & hopefully tomorrow I can get the Gekko (Rafale) decals on...

K5054NZ

Bizarre as it sounds from me of all people, that Grey On Grey looks kinds nice ( :o what have you done with Zac?!). I'm very keenly looking forward to seeing the RAAF marks on there. Are they hi-viz or lo-viz?

What did you use to mask the darker grey? I'd be very keen to know as I feel I could improve my models by masking my camouflage colours rather than just the freehand which so many folk seem to really enjoy on them.

Keenly awaiting progress! Rage More!

Cheers,
Zac

PS - GO THE MIRAGE! Dead sexy.

BlackOps

Lookin' good Mike, I need to get some of my in progress builds a little further along too! I just don't think it's possible to go wrong with any Mirage but I think an RAAF Mirage is a pretty cool idea :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

GTX

I did a Real World RAAF Mirage III in greys a few years back somewhat similar to this:

- they certainly did look nice.  The Mirage 2000 should be even better.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

nev

Gotta love the M2K  :wub:

Have you swapped that fin btw?  :blink:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mike Wren

Zac, the paint is masked with Blu Tack (the stuff you use to hang posters on your wall), the darker grey is actually Halford grey primer, which was then masked with the Blu Tack & oversprayed with the lighter grey (also Halfords) then just peeled off once it's dry. the trick is to get the thickness off the Blu Tack as uniform as possible to leave the feathered edge uniform

markings are mostly now finished and are low viz black. Gekko's decals are superb BTW, glad I got 2 sheets. just need to paint the u/c & add the stores now... hope to take some pics later

Nev, the fin is standard, why? does it look different?  :huh:  

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Great, Mike, more photos soonest !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mike Wren

just a quick in-progress pic, still need to paint the wheels (probably my least favourite job), then matt varnish & add all the bits & pieces

Ian the Kiwi Herder

D*mn, Mike that was quick !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Damian2

DAAAAAAMN Mike that sure is sexy!

You sir have a great looking build there! I have a 1/48 Italeri M2K that I've been stumped on which Tr-Nations country to go for. Mind if I add some of the Aussie pics to my "decision" collection??
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

ysi_maniac

Really good model.
Five stars.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Radish

Nice. Nice.
Very nice indeed. :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Brian da Basher

Wow that gray scheme really highlights those cool Aussie markings Mike! Great work!

Brian da Basher

Mike Wren

Tuesday update: dropped model on the floor, thankfully only the very corner of one wingtip shattered & of the 3 pieces that went flying I found 2 of them & filled the resulting gap...

all of this slowed progress somewhat so no final coat of varnish until the weekend (at the earliest) oh well, could have been worse...  ;)

thanks for the comments

Archibald

Quotejust a quick in-progress pic, still need to paint the wheels (probably my least favourite job), then matt varnish & add all the bits & pieces

I like it I like It I like It I like It !!!!
That's an interesting model...  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.