Bae Stormcock

Started by SimonR, February 16, 2007, 02:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonR

I wanted to do a 1/32 FAA Intruder for the Falklands GB but the non-availability of the Trumpeter kit precludes this. So I've decided to do a CTOL Sea Harrier with no nozzles and conventional single engine configuration in 1/24.

Here's the mockup. Bigger wings courtesy of a 1/32 Revell Hunter.

I think there is at least 50% chance that the engineering challenge of this kitbash will be too great resulting in total failure. If that happens my backup plan for the GB is a 1/72 Heller Etendard in FAA colours.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

John Howling Mouse

There's an old pilot's adage about how "you can do almost anything in an airplane, provided you don't try it too close to the ground."

Similarly, about kitbashing, I've always thought "you can modify almost anything in an airplane model, provided you don't try it in any scale larger than 1:48"  (just too darn difficult...for me).

Glad to see you're about to prove me wrong and break through this imaginary ceiling I've created in my head!

;)
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Supertom

Holy crap that's big.  Good luck on that.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

AeroplaneDriver

Now that's the kind of thing we like to see!!

Where will the exhaust be?  Trailing edege like the Intruder?  Lower fuselage like the Jag/Toom?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

SimonR

QuoteNow that's the kind of thing we like to see!!

Where will the exhaust be?  Trailing edege like the Intruder?  Lower fuselage like the Jag/Toom?
I think I'm going to do a single engine exhaust (scratch built from plumbing supplies) under the tail with some bare metal sections like a Phantom.

The real problem is the leading edge wing roots as the Hunter intakes have to be elegantly and convincingly eliminated on a very visible part of the model.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

kitnut617

QuoteThe real problem is the leading edge wing roots as the Hunter intakes have to be elegantly and convincingly eliminated on a very visible part of the model.
Why not use some LERX's, then you wouldn't have to mess around with the chord profile.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Archibald

Wow! You're brave atempting such build... your idea is fascinating. A CTOL harrier... as usually, "why didn't we think about that before ? "  :dum:

Yep, scrapping the hunter intakes will not be easy... I agree with Kitnut on some LERX, maybe something similar to an Harrier II ?  ;)  

This build really promise much  :cheers:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

BlackOps

I agree with Tom, HOLY MOLY that's huge!  I didn't even know they made them that big :blink: I like your idea, I think you can pull it off quite nicely. Honestly I think that scale should be more forgiving, the only draw back will be the larger amount of putty required.

I'm looking forward to seeing progress pics as this looks to be quite promising.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

anthonyp

Great googily moogily that thing's monstrous!!!   :blink:

This should be impressive to watch progress.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Eddie M.

I have complete and total faith in your ability to make this work. Your 4lanker is proof to me that you can do it. :) Looking forward to your progress. :cheers:
   Eddie  
Look behind you!

elmayerle

QuoteThe real problem is the leading edge wing roots as the Hunter intakes have to be elegantly and convincingly eliminated on a very visible part of the model.
Why not use some LERX's, then you wouldn't have to mess around with the chord profile.
I'll second this suggestion as a logical approach to dealing with those.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

SimonR

One thing I have rapidly noticed about 1/24 kitbashing is that it is f*cking hard work. I have spent the last month eliminating the nozzles from the sides of the Harrier fuselage. I did this by cutting away the sides with a Dremel and plugging the resultant vast holes with the miracle material Forex (vielen dank Wolfik!). Many rounds of Tamiya putty and wet sanding with 600 grit and I'm just about satisfied.

The next challenge is to enlarge the rear section of the fuselage to accommodate the exhaust from the new engine. The circle of Evergreen glued on the back shows the final diameter. The AB nozzle has been stolen from a 1/32 Tamiya F-15E. How does it feel to rob parts from a 95 quid kit? Not good!

Simon

Hunter S. Thompson

Rafael

OK, Simon!!!
You have my complete, undivided attention!!!!

Rafa
(waiting for more pics to store)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

QuoteThe AB nozzle has been stolen from a 1/32 Tamiya F-15E. How does it feel to rob parts from a 95 quid kit? Not good!

Doesn't Quick Boost or someone like Black Box, etc. make the required nozzles in resin?
Either way, you should end up with the necessary nozzles for both kits without too much pain to the wallet.   ;)
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

SimonR

QuoteThe AB nozzle has been stolen from a 1/32 Tamiya F-15E. How does it feel to rob parts from a 95 quid kit? Not good!

Doesn't Quick Boost or someone like Black Box, etc. make the required nozzles in resin?
Either way, you should end up with the necessary nozzles for both kits without too much pain to the wallet.   ;)
Good thinking! I've just ordered the 1/32 F-15I Ra'am conversion which includes new exhausts with the turkey feathers.
Simon

Hunter S. Thompson