Designed A Float Plane

Started by kitflubber, February 19, 2007, 11:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinlail

Mounting the engines to the floats instead of the fuselage would seem to be a big structual win.

kitflubber

Tinlail,

That is a good idea, and I have some sketches like that. I was trying to think about ease of use, pilot and crew embarking/ dosembarking via wing... I wanted to keep the engines a bit up and away from them. I'll look more at that idea.

kitflubber

BTW, here is the style of plane that led me down this design avenue in the first place -- instead of such a radical scoop, I figured a Stuka style wing would reap some of the same benefits. I have no idea if that's true; but the Stuka gull wing still looks elegant anyway, for the fact that it swoops down to hold the pontoon with no ugly strutwork.

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/bythefire/

tinlail

I like it.
I the think the channel wing can be but thought of as half of a ducted fan, which case I understand that propeller to duct clearance needs to be small and uniform for good results. However your design does seem to reduce the weight needed to support the floats which would be a good thing.

The way your fulselage is laid out makes me think about  what it would be like as a cargo plane. In which case I guess the engines would be turned to face forward.

What software are you using?

kitflubber

Tinlail,

I am using Strata 3D. I was thinking today that Moller, the guy who keeps promising us a flying car, would benefit from using channel wing ducts instead of full ducts as he is now.

Here is a link to very quick channel wing float plane:

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/ki...0Float%20Plane/

Next I am going to try a flying car  :)  

cthulhu77

Tom, that's already been done.

kitflubber

The evil Baron will never get his hands on my flying car.

GTX

QuoteI was thinking today that Moller, the guy who keeps promising us a flying car, would benefit from using channel wing ducts instead of full ducts as he is now.

Oh, I think he needs a lot more help than that - I can't believe that people (and Journo's) keep believing he has anything to offer.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

cthulhu77

QuoteI was thinking today that Moller, the guy who keeps promising us a flying car, would benefit from using channel wing ducts instead of full ducts as he is now.

Oh, I think he needs a lot more help than that - I can't believe that people (and Journo's) keep believing he has anything to offer.

Regards,

Greg
What the f***?  You DON'T believe in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?  Commie.

GTX

Actually, I think the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has a greater chance of flying than anyhting from Mollier!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

cthulhu77

kitflubber

Well, I decided to fool around with my own 'Moller' Plane using the Custer channel wings. I read a NASA article last night about recent work with channel wings augmented with a pneumatic system to blow air from a slot in the trailing edge. It gave a great boost in performance.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/ki...r/Flying%20Car/

After I've built my working model, I plan to fly to Moller's house and ask to see his 'flying' car.  :P  

solidmodeler

The Stuka-wing float plane is a very cool design. Did anyone ever build a model?

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: cthulhu77 on February 19, 2007, 05:11:18 PM
I'm thinking a cessna body, with a bunch of scratchbuilding?  Sir Baz?

Or he could use the fuselage from a Hasegawa Learjet or Falcon in 1:48 or the Airfix Dominie in 1:72?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.