Windows Xp Professional/photoshop Cs2 Help Needed!

Started by Gekko_1, February 20, 2007, 10:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gekko_1

Guys,

I was just saving my FGR.2 Phantom file and I accidentally saved it with all the layers, channels and paths flattened! Ahhhhhh! :angry:  :wacko:  :dum:

I do have a back-up Phantom file with all the profile, shadow and highlight work on it so I can keep going, but have lost all of the artwork for the Phantoms that you will have seen in the Profile thread section and the 12 Canadian profiles that I was currently working on that you haven't even seen yet! :o  :angry:

The question is, is there any way I can retrieve the file as it was before I saved it? :unsure:

Heeeeeeelp!

Richard.

jcf

If you haven't shut down Photoshop or closed the file 'step backward' should work.
Otherwise I think yer SOL.

Jennings

I have a tremendously helpful suggestion...

Get a Mac :)

J (never lost a file yet)
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

BlackOps

OUCH! Once you've saved and closed the file your SOL  :(   If you saved but did not close the file you can still go back a step in the history menu and correct this little mishap but once you've closed it it's all gone bye bye.

I have made this mistake myself, and I feel your pain!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Allan

what's SOL he innocently asks?

Allan in Canberra

Gekko_1

Quotewhat's SOL he innocently asks?

Allan in Canberra
Yeah, I had to find out that one too!

Look here:

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=S

:cheers:

Richard.

Gekko_1

QuoteOUCH! Once you've saved and closed the file your SOL  :(   If you saved but did not close the file you can still go back a step in the history menu and correct this little mishap but once you've closed it it's all gone bye bye.

I have made this mistake myself, and I feel your pain!
Yeah, its gone. But at least I had the second file so I can always re-do the ones that were lost, so its not all bad.

Richard.

Gekko_1

QuoteI have a tremendously helpful suggestion...

Actually I got two Macs Jennings, both a bit long in the tooth now, a 7600 and a G3.

Still, in this instance it wouldn't have mattered. It was human error not system related. :(

Richard.

Matej

Depending on the drawing program that you are using, they save temporary files during work. I am not speaking about steps in history menu, I am speaking about real files that are active UNTIL THE PROGRAM is closed.

This means, that when I draw some picture and accidentaly click to close it without saving, its still on HDD and can be found somewhere in "temp" folder until the whole drawing program is closed. When the program is closed, it automatically delete its temporary files and then your work is lost (almost) forever. Then you can restore the "temp" files from your HDD only when they were not overwritten, but this is really complicated job and requires a lot of knowledge.

Bizare aviation expert

BlackOps

I know what Matej is talking about, CorelDraw and Corel Photpaint both make back-up files that are easy to find, but I couldn't figure out how to find Photoshop's back-up files.

Glad Richard was smart enough to have at least a partial back-up saved. I wasn't so lucky when I goofed  :dum:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Jennings

QuoteI have a tremendously helpful suggestion...

Actually I got two Macs Jennings, both a bit long in the tooth now, a 7600 and a G3.

Still, in this instance it wouldn't have mattered. It was human error not system related. :(

Richard.
Given your description, I can't see how it would have been possible to lose the files in OS X, but I might have missed something.  

In any event, the 7600 belongs in a museum, and the G3 isn't far behind.  You can't run Leopard on either of them, and I don't think you could run any OS X version on the 7600.

Get yourself a new G5 and you'll be smokin'!  In fact, you'll be able to run Windows and Windows apps faster on it than you can on any Windows platform (Windoze lemmings hate to hear that, but it's true..)

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Gekko_1

Given your description, I can't see how it would have been possible to lose the files in OS X, but I might have missed something. 

In any event, the 7600 belongs in a museum, and the G3 isn't far behind.  You can't run Leopard on either of them, and I don't think you could run any OS X version on the 7600.

Get yourself a new G5 and you'll be smokin'!  In fact, you'll be able to run Windows and Windows apps faster on it than you can on any Windows platform (Windoze lemmings hate to hear that, but it's true..)

J

No, I don't have OS X on either machine. :(

As for the G5, I'd love to get one, but I need a job and an income to be able to do that. Maybe one day.

Richard

retro_seventies

i am a windoze lemming and *somehow* find this ongoing self congratulating mac smuggery as nauseating as a pint glass of cold sick.

i own 3 computers, one which is a *shock* mac, in fact it is a G5 *horror* - it's great for what i use it for, but i still prefer to get back on my arachaic and obviously for the retarded (apparently) "windoze" based system.

*shrugs*

sorry to hear about your profiles richard - brainfarts hurt.

*man hug*  :cheers:

thanks for all of your awesome profiles, really.

...oh and what's with macs using cat names?  there are only so many.  i can just see it now, it's 2012 and i am using a G7 running "chinchilla"....pshah.   perhaps it appeals to the demographic where macs actually outsell PCs  (women, b/w 50-55).
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Jennings

Quotei am a windoze lemming and *somehow* find this ongoing self congratulating mac smuggery as nauseating as a pint glass of cold sick.
Sorry mate :)  If you don't get it, you don't get it.  If you want to drive a '77 AMC Pacer, go right ahead.  No skin off my nose whatsoever...

J

retro_seventies

what's to get?

really?  

a good mac is a great piece of kit, but the whole "ilife", "ipod", "iphone"....hey, "idontcare".

self satisfied smugfests and "intuitive" pretty white boxes can only amuse me so much.

mac user's self satisfaction > macs capabilities (and that's saying something).
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.