Tornado-fernlenksprengboot

Started by Maverick, February 26, 2007, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

Hi All

Here is Schatton Modellbau's Tornado-Fernlenksprengboot.  I found the pics over on IPMS Deutschland.  The boat itself is one serious little jigger, 48 knots speed, two Ju-52 floats and a V-1 pulsejet for go power.

I guess in reality with the appropriate its it wouldn't be too hard to knock up, I'm certainly considering it, but wowsers! Is she a sweet lookin' little beast or what?

I'm no squid head, but ya just gotta love mini-subs, chariots, boom-patrol boats and all that other silly stuff!

Also in the process of reading about the SBS, in particular Op Frankton at the moment!

Mav

Mossie

Odd but interesting looking little b**ger, I like the idea of the pulse jet!  Why's it got a 'luggage rack' on the front???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PanzerWulff

Hmmmm a waterborne Goliath??? :huh:  
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

famvburg

Many years ago in the USA model mag, "Scale Modeler", there was a scratcbuild of this boat. Back in the mid '70s, IIRC.

philp

Had one entered at last years Shocon.  Seen several of these over the years since it is a pretty easy conversion.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

Nice build Philip!

You could quite easily build on this design, extend the decking, add tropedo tubes, guns, different powerplant, whatever you wanted really.  It could be a good basis for a whiff, take two large floats or a flying boat hulls, add a deck, put anything that takes your fancy on top.

I like the idea of some Jumo or BMW jets on the back instead of the pulse jet, maybe a couple of side ones too.  Maybe a kind of semi-ekranoplan with lift surfaces to raise it higher in the water .

Seriously, what's the rack on the front for?  A sensor set up, or just to add some structural strengthening?  Forgive me, I don't know much about boats!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Mossie, not mine, I just took the pic at the contest.

The "rack" was I believe a pressure sensor of some kind.  The thing was loaded with explosives and then guided toward allied shipping with radio control (I guess after the crew went over the side or rear or whatever.  When the rack hit the hull (insert loud exploding noise of your choice here).

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Captain Canada

Wow ! Is that ever sweet !

But I believe the rack was for carrying back the rum from unsuspecting RN victims.......
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?