Chinese Carrier Fighter Project !

Started by Deino, February 26, 2007, 12:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planeman

Qualifying statement: I am not an aero engineer, I'm just reasonably well researched with some very small but elluminating industry involvement

* Masking. Basically the engine intakes need a reasonably consistant inflow of air. If they are on top of the fuselage then the nose tends to disrupt the airflow when the aircraft flies at a high angle of attack (flying forward but with nose poiinting upwards). To put that in perspective, most aircraft wings stall at around 10~15(?check exact figures etc) degrees AOA - simplified explanation.

But if an aircraft can fly at high AOA 9say 30 degrees) without stalling, then there are several tactical advantages. Aircraft with forward swept wings (X-29, Su-47) can fly at high AOAs. The same goes for joined wings with forward swept rear sections provided you can stop the forward wing from stalling - there are several ways to do that but for a fighter's wing with sharp edge, one way I've thought of (completely my own thinking) is to make the forward wing all-moving, so that in high AOA flight it acts much like the all-moving canards of the X-29/Su-47.

aside from some dogfighting advantages (marginal in the great scheme of things), high AOA flight is good because it means that you can fly very slow (~expand?) and can decelerate very suddenly... which fits into my concept of a very short landing aircraft:

Planeman

Kitflubber, are you able to do animations of your model? If we animated the wing fold we could see what's possible and what isn't.

kitflubber

Planeman,

It is doable with Strata, but I need toread the manual -- have never done it. I was messing with it Friday, trying to make a walk-around viewing of the fighter.

cthulhu77

How would you handle folding the wing at the root?  I better buy more Bondo.

kitflubber

Hey, if it's composites, we'll just have the wing get really thin at the hinges like those hinges on cheap plastic toolboxes!  :rolleyes:  

kitflubber

Here's a kind of fake animation with a progression of superimposed images in Illustrator. I think the upper hinge and the pivot for the all moving surface should not coincide. Maybe move the folding hinge into the wing root a bit.

kitflubber

It looks like when it reaches the top of its fold, it would make sense of the outermost hinge to latch again, securing the wing in the upright position! Slick!

cthulhu77

Interesting...I'm going to have to do some serious cutting.

kitflubber

Planeman -- Irealize I did not get the positions of the wings right -- the hind wing sits outboard of the forewing. Should not affect the viability of the design.

Planeman

Clearly it'd need four hinge points per side, so eight in all. that's a lot of extra weight.

With the 3D model, is it possible to model internal objects like engines, weapons bay, undercarriage?

Also moving parts like control surfaces?  

Planeman

Su-27 empty weight: 16,380 kg
Su-33 empty weight: 18,400 kg -(folding wings & tailplane)

MiG-29 (basic) empty weight: 11,000 kg
MiG-29K empty weight: ???TBC

Planeman

I'm starting to map out a carrier strike fighter

ysi_maniac

:o  :o
This forum is becoming a HiTech OKB
:o  :o  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

kitflubber

Planeman,

Sorry for not posting for a while.

To the earlier question, yes, modeling internal features is doable --  you can get as elaborate as you like, it's just a question of investing the time (just like real modeling!).

I like the strike fighter wireframe -- the succession of profiles is something I wish I had drawn first with the Chinese Fighter 3D. Shipbuilders used the same technique I believe. I am still having a hard time with the lifting body shape at the aft end.

cthulhu77

Looks good, but I think it needs canards for the slowdown on landing...either that or larger chines.