Very Not Happy

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, February 27, 2007, 11:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Sprayed the fourth (and final) camouflage colour on my CAF Typhoon yesterday - it's a four-tone grey scheme. On removing the masking today two 'things that make you go Hmmmm' were revealed.....

First
The two darker tones are too close to each other, not enough contrast.

Second
On one of the colours, the only one I mixed (as opposed to straight from the tin), sections up to (rougly) a square centimetre just lifted with the masking tape  :angry: , but strangely only on the upper surfaces and the fin, the underside is fine  :blink: .

So now I have to wait a couple of days for the last coat to really harden, then mask the whole thing again - it's a bl**dy complicated pattern too.
Then
Mix-up a whole new colour to increase the contrast
Then
Make/find some time to spray the thing
Then
Spend the intervening time, crossing various digits and offering sacrifices to the Masking Gods for a good result.

Hmphhhhhh

Ian

It's just a hobby
It's just a hobby
It's just a hobby
It's just a hobby
It's just a hobby
It's just a hobby
It's just a hobby

:angry:
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Damian2

Yeah its sucks that we do this to ourselves for fun and amusement!

I'm praying right now that when I get to the painting stage with my USAF AU-1 that I don't pooch it!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Rafael

YeaH Ian, it sucks when one unconsciously has so much dedication and loving craftmanship upon a subject and something like that goes wrong. That's when I use your "It's just a Hobby" mantra. For so much dedication and care only compare at times with our real-life jobs. Relax and have fun re-doing it again.

All the best.
Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

anthonyp

To turn an IT phrase into something model related, the model now has random weathering!  Yes, whereas Random Features (aka, "software bugs") make using first release Micro$oft programs always an adventure, tape removal on an intricate paintjob does sometimes result in "random weathering."  Some call it "accidental weathering," while others call it by a certain four letter word, repeated over and over with increasing volume.

I hear Starfix kits make suitable offerings to the pantheon of masking dieties.

Good luck with the next try, Ian!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Scooterman

Well isn't this good timing.  I just got done cleaning up an ENTIRE bottle of MM flat black spilt on the bench.  Good thing the kitten wasn't around-black footie prints on beige carpet wouldn't make Mrs. Scooter happy........

PanzerWulff

Ian,Scooter Ther is always one thing you can use in times like these.so here it is a Gift from your friend "Panzer"

Enjoy this gift in the spirit of true modeling friendship (I use mine REGULARLY)
"Panzer"
Now where did I put the Tylenol
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Brian da Basher

Ahhh yes thank you Panzer. I can soooo relate!

Brian da Basher