Airfix Dambusters Lancaster

Started by jonesthetank, February 28, 2007, 05:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Hasegawa, Revell, Airfix, Matchbox or frog, i will go for what is cheapest ;)  

Mossie

I've had a look at both the SAMI review & build articles of the Has Lanc, both of them say it's pretty much in proportion, the review measured them up to some scale plans.  In that case I probably heard the shape problem mentioned on another forum where rumour sometimes gets presented as fact, how much truth there is to it I couldn't tell you & to be honest I don't care.  I'd never take a rule to a kit, as long as it looks right, it is right as far as I'm concerned.

Japanese kits, Tamiya, Hasegawa & Dragon tend to be considerably more expensive than other brands in the UK.  I don't think this is the same in the US, because it's seen as being one of their major markets.

The Hasegawa kit will cost you £28 here cheapest, around US$55 at current exchange rates.  The Airfix kit has actually gone up in price at many outlets, as the Has kit has generated renewed interest in the Lanc & people are realising the kit isn't that bad after all.  Some places list it at £20 ($40), but expect to pay £15 ($30).  On ebay, you can get the bagged kit for as little as £7.50 ($14), a bargain.

So the Hasegawa kit is double the expected price of the Airfix kit in the UK & you can get it for quarter of the price.  If they're similar prices in the US, get the Has kit, you can expect less fit problems, but in the UK, I'll get an Airfix from the ebay fairy!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

Checked prices in denmark...

Airfix was cheapest, Hasegawa most expensive. If i go to an airshow i will (with little luck) be able to get the old revell, or other old kits of the lancaster at less than half of what the airfix kit costs.

Jennings

QuoteChecked prices in denmark...

Airfix was cheapest, Hasegawa most expensive. If i go to an airshow i will (with little luck) be able to get the old revell, or other old kits of the lancaster at less than half of what the airfix kit costs.
Hehe... buying kits at an airshow.  What a novel concept.  It would surely never happen in the US, that's for certain.  All you can get at an airshow in the us is a burger, a t-shirt, or a sunburn.

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Jennings

QuoteEnglish sarcasm is generally lost on Americans  :P

It means that the price is exhorbitant.
No, English sarcasm isn't lost, just vernacular "English" spelling :)  At least English sarcasm isn't lost on *this* American (who is a card carrying Anglophile).  I mean, I know the difference between top fermented ale and lager (most Americans wouldn't have a clue), and I know what the phrase "knock me up" means (and it has nothing to do with pregnancy).

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

B777LR

Hehe... buying kits at an airshow.  What a novel concept.  It would surely never happen in the US, that's for certain.  All you can get at an airshow in the us is a burger, a t-shirt, or a sunburn.

J
:D At the two major airshows in denmark there is allways the same 2 stalls each year ;)  One from sweden with lots of Amodel kits and latest italeri kits, and one old danish modeller with old airfix and frog kits... ;)  :cheers:  

Radish

English airshows have masses of stalls selling kits, books, clothing, etc..
Ice cream
I used to love going to USAFE bases for the burgers/hotdogs and drinks.....real value for money.
I went to my last one at Mildenhall a few years back, but although it was May 30th, the temp ROSE to 3 C in the very wet afternoon.
They actually ran out of coffee such was the demand for hot drinks!
The B-1 looked fabuilous in the rain, though. :wub:

Meanwhile, for whatiffery, I'd buy the Airfix Lanc.
But I've NEVER EVER built a Lanc kit at all.
Might do one day though.
French. :wub:  :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

cthulhu77

J
Wow, every military/airshow out here in AZ always has a huge amount of vendors selling kits...though the prices aren't all that much below retail...quite a few of the lhs's show up with a stack of kits, and hand out flyers, etc.

nev

QuoteI used to love going to USAFE bases for the burgers/hotdogs and drinks.....real value for money.
I went to my last one at Mildenhall a few years back,
Yep, the demise of the USAFE airshows is sorely missed by me too - loved those BBQs all the units did using 60gallon fuel drums cut lengthways  :wub:

As for the Has v Airfix, when ALL factors are taken into consideration, the £30 retail price of the Hasegawa kit drives 90% of UK punters away.

Nev (waiting for the Revell kit).
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Daryl J.

This Yank is hoping the RoG Lanc is priced such that it can be converted into a carrier-borne, folding wing USMC Korea gunship in overall gloss sea blue............! :wacko:

Tea, Crumpets, and Aye,
Daryl J.

B777LR

QuoteThis Yank is hoping the RoG Lanc is priced such that it can be converted into a carrier-borne, folding wing USMC Korea gunship in overall gloss sea blue............!

Sounds like fun... (but you might piss off some of the revell chearboys to chop it up so quickly after it hits the street :lol:  ;) )

Radish

Now that sounds a great idea!!!
Fantastic :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Daryl J.

I *almost* did that to the Hasegawa Lanc. to justify its alternative shape and detail issues......but......I just haven't the stomach to test new skills of that measure on a $50+ kit!  What if I flub?!! :P  :P  :P

Daryl J., awaiting Revell's Lanky (Name of the USMC bird)