Super Etendard/mirage F.1 Question

Started by PanzerWulff, February 28, 2007, 10:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzerWulff

I was thinking (Dangerous habit I know) of trading markings from a USMC harrier to either a Academy Super Etendard or Hasegawa Mirage F.1C i have and Vice Versa and was wondering what aircraft was the US Equivelant of the Etendard or mirage F.1 Was it the A-4 Skyhawk?? Just Wondering
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Gervasius

The way I see it, A-7 as equivalent of Super Etendard, and early F-16 as Mirage F.1.

Marko
Baldrick: I followed Mr Da Vinci's instructions to the letter.
Blackadder: Even though you can't actually read.
Baldrick: No, but I have done a lot of Airfix models in my time.

Shasper

That could be a loaded question. In the light attack role, the SuE stacks up in the same class as the Scooter, but since the Sue has radar & can launch BVR missiles (at least AShMs, not sure about any AAMs other than the IR stuff), I'm not sure as to what would be the equivilent.

For the MF1, it was put up against the F-16 back in the day.

Shas B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Radish

If trading markings, I'd go for anything that "physically" fits.

I've just put 1/48th RAF 19Sqn markings from a grey Hawk on a black-ish Revell Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Frighter, and it looks good.

Going for an Italian one next, using F-86 Sabre decals :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

upnorth

QuoteThat could be a loaded question. In the light attack role, the SuE stacks up in the same class as the Scooter, but since the Sue has radar & can launch BVR missiles (at least AShMs, not sure about any AAMs other than the IR stuff), I'm not sure as to what would be the equivilent.

For the MF1, it was put up against the F-16 back in the day.

Shas B)
By that description, it sounds like the SuE is actually hedging along the lines of the F-5E except I'm not aware that any of the F-5 family members had ASM ability and I know they didn't go on boats.

I'm now seeing visions of a SuE in Marines aggresor markings.

How would a SuE compare to early block A/B Hornets?
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Shasper

The F-20 was wired for the Harpoon.

I think the SuE carries a lighter bombload, and has less range than the early Bugs, but I'm not totally sure as I dont really keep up-to-date w/frenchy stuff.

Shas B)
- Bud S.

P1127

It's not an effing  jump jet.

Archibald

Super Etendard = 70's Scooter

The A-7 was much more versatile and powerfull (it was the main preference of the french navy, but Jaguar M and SE were (more or less) FRENCH and DASSAULT aircrafts, and that was more important than performances or avionics  :angry:  )

A-7s had LGBs, a modern engine, anti-radiation missiles.. (no martels for the SE)
Early SE (1978) carried
- Exocets
- iron bombs / rocket pods (very useful against SA-6s  <_< )
- Magic IR AAMs

That's all !!  
LGBs, AS-30L and ASMP came later (in the 80's or even the 90's).

Mirage F-1 was more in the early F-16 league ( but I would say its closer equivalent was the Phantom, the two aircrafts were in competition in Greece in the early 70's for example).
Iraqis F-1E were roughly equivalents to Iranian Phantoms in the 80's. The F-1 was more modern, agile and lighter than the F-4. Of course, its range, acceleration and climb were lower. Both had excellent medium range AAMs (Sparrow and
Super-530) and radars...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Shasper

In short, the French A/C have their own unique niche & have no real equivilents!  :lol:

Shas B)
- Bud S.

B777LR

Ah, but archie, of course we can make the Super Etendart better than A-7 :wub:  

Zen

Of course we can!

Whats the size of an Atar jet engine?
To win without fighting, that is the mastry of war.

Shasper

Similar to the J52 I imagine, but dont take my word for it.

Shas B)
- Bud S.

PolluxDeltaSeven

QuoteIn short, the French A/C have their own unique niche & have no real equivilents!
Well, on a French point of view, that's the American who have their own niche!!  :P  :P  :P
Just kiding!!

More seriously, you're completely right! Indeed, French, just like Swedish, always want planes who are specifically adapted to their own needs (and sometimes, the needs are adapted to the more "French" option, like Archie said! :P)
That gives planes who are very adapted to French needs, but not very to the export market.

To answer the question, here is my point of view (I'll try to make simple):

Super Etendard could be considered as beeing between the A-4 Skyhawk and the A-7...
In fact, it was based on the Etendard IV, wich was really close to the early A-4!! The Suepr Etendard is the result of a choice of continuity, just like if the Navy chose to adapt a radar and Harpoon/A2G missiles on the A-4 instead of going for the A-7

Present Super Etendard could be compared to Singaporian or Argentinian modernised A-4 (with some goodies in more, some less...)

Mirage F1 was the competitor of the F-4, the F-5 and the F-16 because it became operational between two american generations of aircrafts.
For my part, I wont compare it to the F-4 Phantom: the Mirage F1 delt with it on export market, but they are two different aircrafts designed for different purpose. Some Air Force like Spain and Greece chose to operate both fighters in different missions. For me, the early Mirage F1 are between F-5 (for size and agility) and F-4 (for BVR abilities, speed and altitude)

If you really want to compare the nowadays Mirage F1 to a US aircraft, compared it to the F-20 Tigershark, or modernised Tiger II. The Mirage F1 is a kind of F-5E with real BVR abilities and a Mach 2 ability.

If I were you, I will better compared it to the Mig-23... But both Mig-23 and Mirage F1 had no similar US competitor at their beginings, except the much bigger F-4 and the too limited F-5...

But every comparison depends on what you want to take under consideration. The aircraft generation, the design philosophies and the operationnal needs are too differents between france and USA...

QuoteOf course we can!

Whats the size of an Atar jet engine?

I studied a lot of datas on the Super Etendard, triying to find every possibilities of modernisation of the beast.

For the engine, a modernisation similar to the Singaporian A-4 one is possible, with an engine having more power and less consumption (F404, F414, EJ200 or M88 in a dedicate dry variant could fit easily in the plane). It will let space for additional armor and ECM systems, and maybe internal fuel if needed.

For the systems, the upgraded SeM already fit a PESA radar (ANEMONE) able to good air-air abilities (BVR detection, and good combat abilities in close air combat), but possibily upgraded with RBE-2 goodies...
A multipurpose light radar (a AESA variant of the ANEMONE or the RC-400) could allowed the plane to have BVR abilities and better air-to-ground capacities.

A glass cokpit and new weapons will finished to allow it to go for 20 more years as a decent light attack fighter!

See here for more information.
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

PanzerWulff

Thanks guys for all the Great information it will help define the roles of the aircraft in my what if scenareo
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

dragon

You might want to use the decals from the Testors F-21 Kfir instead of the Harrier.  They might fit better due to similarity in the air frames.  They will also say USMC.  Just a thought. B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST