Marconi Advert

Started by Martin H, March 02, 2007, 03:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

found this little gem

discuss

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Rat

Damn damn damn damn DAMN!!! There's a C-160 in there and I've already started whiffing mine differently.  :(  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

retro_seventies

*salivates*

good work mart - there are some real crackers in that lot!!  :cheers:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Jennings

The poor Sherpa has hemorrhoids!  Ouch!

:)

And what is that airplane at the bottom?  737?  It can't be an A320, since this was 1984.  
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

AeroplaneDriver

And what is that airplane at the bottom?  737?  It can't be an A320, since this was 1984.
I looks more like an 737 than an A320 with that windshield, but it's not really a 737 tail.  Perhaps a speculative EA-320 since the A320 program was well underway in '84, but lots of features were not finalized.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

B777LR

Bottom plane is a A-310. You know, luftwaffe and canada operate them :wub:  (saw 2 luftwaffe A310 MRTTs at hamburg)

Whats that Biz-jet? and is that a Merlin i see there? :wub:

But of course, what killed the Nimrod AEW would kill those shown. Stupid to fit too much electronics into a much too small airframe when you can buy a E-767 or E-2 or E-3 right off the shelf...

:cheers:

Radish

WOW!!!!

I just love the ideas, love'em :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Older publications hold some fantastic ideas.
When we look back in 10 or 15 years time to now, I wonder? :rolleyes:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Howard of Effingham

thanks martin.

i remember this advert well. nice idea technically having a radar aerial at either
end of the airframe, just a bit ahead of its time, or it upset the americans. canucks
are blameless here, afaik.  ^_^

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

retro_seventies

first time for everything - i wouldn't trust those hockey haired hosers as far as i could throw 'em  :P  :D  :D  :cheers:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteBottom plane is a A-310. You know, luftwaffe and canada operate them :wub:  (saw 2 luftwaffe A310 MRTTs at hamburg)

Whats that Biz-jet? and is that a Merlin i see there? :wub:

But of course, what killed the Nimrod AEW would kill those shown. Stupid to fit too much electronics into a much too small airframe when you can buy a E-767 or E-2 or E-3 right off the shelf...

The doors and windows look a bit out of scale for a 310, and the windshield is definately not an A310, though the tail is certainly Airbus.  I still think it's someone's 1984 interpretation of the 320.  Or just a generic narrowbody.

The bizjet is a Bombardier (nee Canadair) Challenger.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

B777LR

QuoteThe doors and windows look a bit out of scale for a 310,
But doors are much too big for A-320. Engines look just right for a A-310 as well. More military operators flew A-310 back then than A-320 excisted :rolleyes:  

Jennings

QuoteMore military operators flew A-310 back then than A-320 excisted
In 1984 there were no military A310s either.  The A310 was a very new airplane...

The problem with the radar setup in the Nimrod was that the fuselage flexed and twisted (natural aeroelasticity).  The problem with that was trying to get both radar returns to sync together.  No computer then (or now) could do that.  That's what really killed the Nimrod AEW.  That's why you don't see any US types with split radars like that.  Unless the airplane were made out of cast iron, there's virtually way to eliminate the aerodynamic twisting and bending (ever flown in a stretched DC-8 and watched the aisle in front of you bending in rough air?).

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

B777LR

Quote(ever flown in a stretched DC-8 and watched the aisle in front of you bending in rough air?).

Too bad i was born in 1991, was it fun?

Zen

Must be the length of the fusilage, the shorter the distance between the two radars the less the twisting would be felt.
To win without fighting, that is the mastry of war.

phoenix54

QuoteJennings Posted on Mar 3 2007
The problem with that was trying to get both radar returns to sync together. No computer then (or now) could do that.

just my two penn'orth, know a chap that was involved with the beastie, according to him it wasn't aeroelasticity that was the problem, but powering the two arrays, as they pulled too much power, simple solution was (according to my source! :rolleyes: R.A.F. W.O.) to fit an independant power source, and problem solved.
Problem was, nobody had the noddle to ask the R.A.F. fitters, seems like a problem ALL forces around the globe have, idiots in power think they know everything. <_<

Phoenix

Quote...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded

For my lifes love, Angie Connor
10/02/1961 - 11/11/2002
I'll never forget