Similar To A.m.s... But Also Different !

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, March 05, 2007, 08:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Strange isn't it.... since the wee setback in painting the Canadian Eurofighter, I just cannot bring any enthusiasm to working on any of my ongoing projects. Even my SAR H-34 which only needs the decals - my favourite discipline - is just sitting there waiting for something to be done.

Now I'm absolutely NOT looking for sympathy, those who know me, know I'm not like that in any way. Nor am I suffering from AMS - Advanced Modelers Syndrome - that's the one were you just seem to be unable to bring your concentration to a project.... This is different.

I know it's different because since the Typhoon 'unpleasantness' I dug-out my two Eduard P-400/P-39's and an AMT P-40N (No BdaB, not for the GB....), and I've bought some 'goodies' for an Italeri CR42 (still gotta buy the kit though !), all real world projects that I fully intend to start as soon as possible.

Yep this new 'disease' is a variant of AMS, I've christened it the CbA virus. CbA = Can't be A*sed. It's so much easier, when I have the time, to fly my 'virtual' airplanes around in IL2 or Air War Europe, rather than hack away at any one of my lumps of plastic that languish in the darkest recesses of my 'office'. It's easier, too, to go play with the baby, cook a meal, read a book, watch a couple of episodes of X-Files or write another few lines of my '262's Over Africa'Alternative History'..... Y'see, I do have enthusiasm, for aircraft and modeling related stuff, just not for working on the plastic. I know the craving will return, just not anytime soon.

Anyhoos - I get so much more done if I just 'plan' the project as opposed to actually build them.

Like I say..... strange isn't it ??

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

cthulhu77

...but it's the styrene that gives the whole thing reality !

I hear your pain...sometimes, I just want to play Rise of Nations over and over, or pick up a good book, but, that sweet smell of C/A beckons...

ysi_maniac

Sometimes we need something different. Your choice: change your wife or (probably better) go armour. :tank:  :ph34r:  :lol:
Will die without understanding this world.

Shasper

Been there, except in my case it's more of Lack Of Enthusiasm syndrom, one reason why I've ended up in the past with almost 2 dozen halfstarts & nothin finished.

Still fightin it, but now it's progressed to my writings too! :o  (GD Leroy!)

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

JC Carbonel

I agree with my colleague : I have interest in WW2 aircraft , real space, old subs, sci-fi , AFVs and large figures so when I am fed up with a subject I can go to another ....

JCC

Captain Canada

CBA......Can't Be Arsed....I like it ! And now that I've been diagnosed, maybe I can get on with a little more modelling !

The 'disease' does seem to be spreading around here, IHG !

:o  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

B777LR

Your not the first one Ian! I just sit down and play computer till all games are boring and every website has been visited. By then you are itching to go back modelling ;)  

AeroplaneDriver

I know exactly how you feel Ian.  I've been struck down with CbA a few times myself.  I'll go through a frenzied period of building, churning out 3-4 models in a month or two then suddenly for no apparent reason when I sit down to the next project I just Cant be Ar$ed.  The whole thing gets stuffed away and I move on to some other activity.  

The good news is that it seems to be a fairly short-lived affliction, resolving itself with lots of bedrest and beer in a month or so at most.  
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

nev

I tend to go in cycles of PC games (Total War series and Morrowind) or modelling.  I don't have the time to do both.

Moving house and not being able to model for about a month has certainly given me my appetite back for styrene  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Brian da Basher

I can totally relate Ian! I don't know what you'd call the malaise I'm going through but I haven't worked on a project in almost a month. I tend to think a lot of it's job stress and the fact I was pulling a bunch of overtime at the office the last few weeks. I've decided just to wait until I feel inspired again. Better to work when I feel like it than to waste time and effort needlessly.

Brian da Basher

dragon

Everyone on this site has suffered from the muse not visiting.  However when the muse does visit you, then the model in question becomes a preocupation, an intense need, a compulsion.  I am getting close to the muse visiting me. B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Gekko_1

:o Hopefully the decals and side profile prints currently on their way to you will divert your attention back to your model room! :D  :wacko:

:cheers:

Richard

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Shhhhh, don't mention that here ! ;)

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

Moving house and not being able to model for about a month has certainly given me my appetite back for styrene  B)
It's been the exact opposite for me, Nevster. Moving house has most of my hobby stuff, incl. books etc. in shambles ! Even tho I built that big shelf, it hasn't gotten any better. Add to it the fact that my kids play in the spare rooms where my stuff is, and it's a complete disaster !

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi....you're my only hope !

:wacko:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

cthulhu77

Maybe if you pull something out of the stash and do a 24 hour build ?  That always seems to help.