Hobbyboss Kits

Started by matrixone, March 05, 2007, 07:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Never heard of this brand before, they are now or will be releasing later this year some kits I might be interested in.

Matrixone

Supertom

They're a new company, and in a way a rival to Trumpeter.  The big news, of course, is the new A-10 and NAW-10 coming up, and a series of 1/48 Mirages as an alternative to the Eduard kits (why they wouldn't make 'em in 1/72, I'll never know, grrrr!).  From the looks of the sprues it looks like quality stuff.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Keith Diamond

apparently Trumpeter and Hobby Boss are owned by brothers.  Two seperate companies, but their in cahoots with each other on a lot of projects.  That's why you'll see a lot of similarities in them.
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

upnorth

I can only speak for their 1/72 Hurricane and I quite enjoyed it. Here's a link to a review I wrote about it:

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/port...2-hobbyboss.htm

Their 1/72 Spitfires are known for having their canopies a touch overscale, but it isn't much of an issue since there are quite a few vac formed Spit canopies on the aftermarket to be had.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Geoff

Their 1/48th T-34 has over 400 parts and looks like a pantographed down version of a bigger kit. The moldings look good but not built it yet.
Their 1/72nd snap togeather aircraft are a good fit well the Bf-109 is anyway.

Supertom

The Man-Ho will answer your questions.  Seek forth the wisdom the Man-Ho.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Shasper

No first hand experience yet, however that will change *if* their 72nd offering of the N/AW A-10 shows.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Damian2

QuoteHobby Boss are an offshoot of Trumpeter.  Brothers?  I heard they were owned by the wonderfully humanitarian Chinese People's Liberation Army.
Really are their kits decent and cheap? Ok then I'll take 'em...
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Radish

I've built the F4F-4 and it's a belter (1/72nd)....took 20 minutes before I started spraying the completed model. That's 20 minutes to clean up the bits, put 'em together, etc..
Just wonderful stuff.
I've a P-40N to build for an IPMS Stafford "Radish Challenge"....the idea is take any 1/72nd P-40 and build/do whatever you want!
The decals seem good.
I've seen built up models of the Bf-109, Wildcat, Hellcat and Corsair (all 1/72nd) and they look fabulous.
The 1/48th Mirage IIICs are VERY tempting, not least because of the stores package.....and the price, half that of an Eduard example.
But I've "held fire" so far....I've lots of Mirages anyway.
I've got some F4Us and F4Fs in 1/72nd to have a go at.

I've one of their 1/48th M4A3E8 76mm gun Shermans too......not totally accurate (according to reports) but it's my favourite tank version, and with lots of stowage, will be fine for a 1966/7 Israeli version. :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Jennings

Quoteapparently Trumpeter and Hobby Boss are owned by brothers.  Two seperate companies, but their in cahoots with each other on a lot of projects.  That's why you'll see a lot of similarities in them.
Trumpeter is financed, or at least was, by the Peoples' Liberation Army.  Like many 'companies' in China, it started out as a branch of the military...

I'm not sure about the brothers thing.    My understanding is that Hobby Boss *is* Trumpeter.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

matrixone

Thanks to all for your answers. :)

I guess I will give one a try later this year.

Matrixone

NARSES2

Bit late, but I'm building a couple of the 1/72 scale kits. Excellent fit and their simplicity and cheapness is enabling me to try out some simple technics to hopefully improve my skills. Drilling out things like air vents, adding some extra little bits of detail etc.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I'm late too, just picked up a Hobbyboss 1/72 P-40M this morning, more to have a look than anything.  Test fitted it, which takes seconds as the parts go together really easily.  Pretty much same the same comments as everyone else, lovely external detail, the shape looks right.  It lacks much in the way of cockpit detail, but you could soon knock something up.  The upper & lower fuselage joint may need some PSR, but I think it'll be better after I prep the joining surfaces with a bit of wet & dry.

Hmm, I'm getting an idea for the 'I love P-40's' GB now!  Arrrrgggghhh! :wacko:  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

QuoteThe upper & lower fuselage joint may need some PSR, but I think it'll be better after I prep the joining surfaces with a bit of wet & dry.

Hmm, I'm getting an idea for the 'I love P-40's' GB now!  Arrrrgggghhh! :wacko:
My "B" model did Mossie - but could of ben me ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Don't think so Chris, the sides are flush but theres a definate gap between top & bottom.  The edges are slightly rough so they may benefit from a quick sanding but I don't think it'll totally eliminate that gap.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.