A

Saunders Roe 53. Anyone Know Something About It

Started by Archangel, March 06, 2007, 11:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archangel

I remember a very long time ago building a model of the S.R. 53. I think it was an Airfix kit. I did build it and after awhile I got tired of the all white color and painted it in RAF camoflage of the time. Green and gray with white undersides. Probably not the most accurate but it served its purpose. I was thinking that it would make a good What if Project nowdays and was thinking that if they had built more then it probably would have had some changes added to it. Like more avaiability to add missiles and extra fuel. Not so sure that they would have kept the rocket engine and might have gone with two Spey  engines in a modified airframe or maybe used what was in the Hawker Hunter instead. Then maybe a few export deals to Canada and Australia for interceptor duties. What do you guys think?

anthonyp

It's a real coincidence that this subject popped up today, as I finished up a Japanese SR.53 the other day.  I painted it up similar to their F-4EJ Kais, for use as a point defense fighter out of the northern bases.  No pics, yet.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Hobbes

The SR.53 was really only suitable as a technology demonstrator. Saunders-Roe did a followon design, the SR.177 which had more powerful engines, more range and could carry some missiles and a radar. See this thread for more info.
The kit must have been the Airfix one, they did the only mass-market SR.53 kit in existence.  

Archangel

QuoteThe SR.53 was really only suitable as a technology demonstrator. Saunders-Roe did a followon design, the SR.177 which had more powerful engines, more range and could carry some missiles and a radar. See this thread for more info.
The kit must have been the Airfix one, they did the only mass-market SR.53 kit in existence.
Thanks for the link. I had no idea that the S.R. 53 was an earlier version or a lead into the  S.R. 177. I'll be looking for another kit at the Regional Model show on the 17th of march but probably won't have much luck as last year they had alot of vendors but their selection was almost all alike.  

ChuckAnderson

Hi Archangel!

Here's one picture of the SR.53.

Chuck

ChuckAnderson

ChuckAnderson

Hi!

Here's yet another view of the SR.53.

Chuck

Mossie

The original design for the P.177 (later SR.177) was heavily based on the SR.53.  It was very similar in appearance, longer nose, the intakes were lengthened & lowered slighlty & a new canopy added.  It was quickly realised that this aircraft was unsuitable, in fact it was reccomended to drop it in favour of the Avro 720, so Saro redesigned it into what became the SR.177.

Early Saunders Roe P.177, scanned form Project Cancelled by Derek Wood.

EDIT, looking at Chuck's pics I'm not so sure the nose was lengthened, it looks more like the cockpit was set further back.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

QuoteHi!

Here's yet another view of the SR.53.

Chuck
Now there's a nice revealing photo (the top one) where it's showing the drooping leading edge to the wing.  I didn't know it did that.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ChuckAnderson

jcf

Cockpit/instrument panel photo.

More later.

Jon

Archangel

Thanks for the pictures everyone. It reminds me a bit of the Javelin from above but  I doubt that the S.R.  was as big nor would it have the range. The picture ofthe kit is excatly what I had so it had to be an Airfix kit. If the company had gone with two jet engines and enlarged the intakes they might have had a better shot but I found out that the government OR started with thier idea of duplicating the mission of the ME-163 Komet in some form . The main differance being the level of technology used and the weapons to shoot down enemy bombers.

jcf

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

van883

another pic -taken in Dec 06 at Cosford

Van