Main Menu

Usaf Au-1

Started by Damian2, March 07, 2007, 01:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Diamond

It has my approval!  Freakin awesome.  Especially since you're using SEA scheme, it'd be interesting to see this sitting side by side with a A-1.
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

jcf

What designation are you going to use?
T'wouldn't be an AU-1 in USAF service or in the USN for that matter post 1962.

Damian2

QuoteWhat designation are you going to use?
T'wouldn't be an AU-1 in USAF service or in the USN for that matter post 1962.
Well I'm open to suggestions :D

Quotelooking good....but....how fast would it be with all the stuf? 150knots?

Actually I don't think it will get off the ground with that load  ^_^  but that will be our secret :D
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Eddie M.

That is just too cool!  B)  I like your choices of add ons. Fits just right!
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

BlackOps

Now that just screams to have it's own theme music! Has a tough look to it, kinda like you wanna look at your feet and cross to the other side of the street before it notices you :)  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

PanzerWulff

This beast has inspired me I think I'll try something similar with a T-Bolt.Way to go Damian This bird ROCKS.... possible theme for this bird???? :huh: "BORN TO BE WILD!!!" I do believe the line "Heavy Metal Thunder"is Quite appropriate  
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Damian2

QuoteThis beast has inspired me I think I'll try something similar with a T-Bolt.Way to go Damian This bird ROCKS.... possible theme for this bird???? :huh: "BORN TO BE WILD!!!" I do believe the line "Heavy Metal Thunder"is Quite appropriate
:D Glad I could be inspiring (sp?). I too am looking at  various WWII fighters like the F-47 and F-51 as well as others such as the T-28 like the famous USAF Trogans but in SAAF bushwar service ;) for my COIN builds...

On progress: I've managed to get some of the weapons cleaned up and I've drilled, cut and files my tip tank slots. In the pics below I have them mocked up as they still need to be sanded smooth. I'm also playing with the idea to drill out one of the noses of either the left or right tip tank and install an in-flight refulling probe, what do you guys think?

Enough talk on to the pics!

First up is a layout with the various weapons to be mounted on the model:

And the close up :) :

A side on view:

Three quarter:

And finally the pilot pulling out of a sweeping left hand turn trolling for fire:

As always comments and critques are most welcomed!

cthulhu77

That is looking sexy ! Kind of a miniature Skyraider...love it.

PanzerWulff

QuoteI'm also playing with the idea to drill out one of the noses of either the left or right tip tank and install an in-flight refulling probe, what do you guys think?

As a thought instead of mounting an IFR probe to the tank itself you may want to mount it in the right wing opposite the pitot tube maybe an angled one like that on an F-100 angleing up off the wing.Btw this bird is looking better every time i see it ;)  
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Brian da Basher

Absolutely killer, D2! I love the load out! Arm her to the teeth!

Brian da Basher

Rafael

Damian, this is A W E S O M E ! ! ![/size]

I really like it to see WWII fighters in modern-day roles and configs. I love everything about this bird, the aerials, the weapons carriage capacity, the jet pilot, the badass looks. I don't care about the location of the fuel tanks, they look to me very fine in either position. Neither do I care about it being so heavy. If it can't get off the ground I will personally tow it to the battle front and the enemy will run away screaming!!!

Lovely!!!

Rafa
(re-enamored with corsairs)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

famvburg

QuoteCool! A few years ago I did a SEA USAF AU-1. I'll have to post a pic or 2. I used a DC-6 prop on it & the back story I had was that it used the same engine & prop mod as the Counter Invaders, for parts commonality & performance. In the last couple of years, I did a 'Turbo Corsair', as a follow-on upgrade. I used A-37 tip tanks, mounted square on the tips & it looks 'right'.

Here's my USAF SEA Corsair from about 7 years ago.

famvburg

QuoteCool! A few years ago I did a SEA USAF AU-1. I'll have to post a pic or 2. I used a DC-6 prop on it & the back story I had was that it used the same engine & prop mod as the Counter Invaders, for parts commonality & performance. In the last couple of years, I did a 'Turbo Corsair', as a follow-on upgrade. I used A-37 tip tanks, mounted square on the tips & it looks 'right'.

Here's the Turbo Corsair, supposedly fitted with a Lycoming T-53. And tip tanks.

Damian2

Those are cool Corsairs!!!!! I hope my SEA one come out looking as mean as yours did! And I looove the TP conversion!! I 'm trying to get a hold of sprues from a 1/48 C-130 so I can carry out a TP conversion on a P-47....

:cheers:
D2

Damian2

Hi all!!

I'm STILL busy with this sucker! In between learning to fly and "other projects" like my SAAF RA-4 Spyhawk and SAAF GR.3 Harrier. The Harrier started as a 1/48 Airfix FA.2 and a VERY badly warped GR.3 fuselage (THANX MOSSIE!!!!!!), I cut of the front ends and epoxied and puttied and super glued and cajoled them in place. Still ALOT of work to do there :). So the net-net is that I haven't spent as much time on her as I should have.

BUT not any more!

Last nite I hand painted my preshading (pics to come) and today I got the bottom colour on as well as paint and weathering on the rocket pods and paint on the drop tank and TER (pics to come)....

As for the tanks, the more I sat and looked at it the more I thought they'd look cooler centerlined. Also I want to do something similar with my future turbo-prop A-26 so i thought now would be a good time to practice, after all I'm no Eddie M or JHM :D