Mosquito Jet

Started by bluesteel, March 08, 2007, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesteel

After a little while absent from the forum I'm back with a few new What-ifs.

So on my workbench at the moment is my project for the Unofficial Airfix Forum Mosquito Group Build, and it's a Mosquito with two underslung jet engines (I used those from the Airfix Me262).

It's a tricky build with a lot of filler to ensure the jet nacelles are aerodynamically attached. Then there's the problem of the u/c. Ad the jet engine goes all the way through they can't retract behind the engine, so I've made it sideways folding with the wheels tucking into the front of the bomb bay. The reduction of weight in front of the C of G means I also have to extend the nose well forward (which will also allow for repositioning the cannons as they originally resided in the front part of the bomb bay.

Front view, the wings just dry fitted.

Jet engine attachment and wheel well of  one wing. Still a lot of filling and sanding to do.

A lot of cutting and filling for the wheel retraction.

Slow work so far, but it's getting there.

Bluesteel

Archibald

Lots of works that's sure, but the idea is fabulous  :wub:  :wub: (hmmm Me-262 / Bloch 174 kitbash... now that's an idea !!!!)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

The Rat

A few people have had the idea, and I've wanted to do one myself, but yours is the first I've seen actually started. Keep her going, and make us proud!  :wub:  :cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

John Howling Mouse

I jes' luv seein' modelers hack and stack (putty) a kit!

Keep the progress photos coming, eh?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

I like it ! Love the new wheel arrangement. This thing is gonna be sweet !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Allan

Quick! Buy putty shares.

This one looks a winner.

Allan in Canberra

Howard of Effingham

this rocks! and i have now the same kit to give the radial engined treatment to,  :wacko:
:cheers: bluesteel  :cheers:

more photos please when you are done.

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

wolfik

looks interesting! but....a lot of work...wow! :wacko:
which markings? german? or british?
I like the idea...
Im working on the jet mossie too now but its the "official" project from 1942/43.
so my dear....more progress photos!!

bluesteel

Quotelooks interesting! but....a lot of work...wow! :wacko:
which markings? german? or british?
I like the idea...
Im working on the jet mossie too now but its the "official" project from 1942/43.
so my dear....more progress photos!!
Yes, a lot more work than I have originally anticipated. I looked at the official proposal for the Mossiejet, with the semi-swept wings, but decided to go for a 'normal' Mosquito with jet engines attached. But the problems associated with underslinging jet engines make it now seem as much work as it would have been to do the official proposal after all! It'll be in British markings, probably camo upper surfaces and yellow undersides in a Prototype scheme.

Another session of putty and sanding. Now decided it'll be a single seat pilot job, so have to work out how to attach a narrow canopy. I'll probably cant the tailplane up a little so it 's out of the way of the efflux  - I can see now why De Havilland didn't bother!

Bluesteel

Archibald

You mean you want to make it as a single pilot aircraft ? You have to make the canopy on the side, like a Sea Vixen or a Canberra Mk.8 /9  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I like both Wolfik's idea and yours. This give me ideas for some Bloch 174 derivatives...  :wub:  

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

LemonJello

Very cool.  I'll be keeping an eye on this.  Keep the progress photos coming.  I love the Mossie, and a jet powered version would be awesome.
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

BlackOps

Looks like it's gonna be pretty cool!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Maverick

A quick question on the Jetmossie, real (ie Proposed) or whiffed..

How did DeHavilland work out the structural strength vis-a-vis the jet... I mean the 262s had an alarming habit of blowing up on take-off.. (no not the 163, the 262) and they were monocoque airframes as opposed to wood, sandwiched balsa or whatever.  Nicely streamlined true, but once u got up around the higher sub-mach numbers you'd surely be finding urself sans aeroplane....?

Just a thought

Nifty build either way, always loved the Squito!

Mav

bluesteel

After a bit of a break I've made more progress with the Mosjet:

Bluesteel

B777LR

Sweet :wub:  But i guess the wooden tail would catch fire rather easily ;)  :lol:

:cheers: