I've Finally Admitted It...

Started by Radish, March 11, 2007, 05:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

For the previous 15 years or so I've built almost exclusively in 1/48th.

Can't do it any more.
Something's got to "give" and many of my unmade 1/48th kits will be sold.
I'll let the forum know when and where, and what.
But 1/72nd and 1/144th are becoming increasingly attractive (as well as the Revell 1/32nd Sea Venom!!)....so, here we go then, Terry's "Small Scale Adventure!" :lol:

It'll be interesting!
But there ain't many decals are there? :(  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Excalibur

I build mostly in 1/72 scale & have found there is an impressive range of decals around. The best part of 1/72 scale for me is being able to build bombers without losing as much space as bombers would take up in 1/48 scale.  

The Rat

Good on ya Terry, join the ranks of the real modelers, squinty eyes and all! Nip 'round to the local shop and start grabbing some of those teeny little Heller kits in various odd scales, helluva lot of fun.  :cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

I'm a fan of the smaller scales too. You can get away with things in smaller scales that would be unforgiving in 1/48 and larger. Terry, you're gonna have a blast!

Brian da Basher

Hobbes

Yup, plenty of decals in 1:72. In 1:144 there are hardly any aftermarket decals, but I've got an address for a guy who does 1:144 national insignia, at least.  

Radish

Got a few 1/144th decals which are mostly civil of course.
All those blasted airliners!!

1/72nd...yeah there's lots around.
It'll be fun I'm sure.
Somethings are easier in 1/48th, not least sesquiplanes based on Camels and SE5As of which I have many, and I'll keep those.
The rest?....many will go.
That's just the way it is!!
Shows, club meets, etc.. A trickle will keep on going.

Now there's some 1/144th I've already got....B-2 Spirit for example. Cool in civil markings too :lol:  

nev

LOL, you're probly selling some of the 1/48 jets I sold you when I made the same decision 2 years ago :D

As far as 1/144 decals go...there are a few starting to appear - check out the Xtradecal Hunter sheet.  Buckets of markings on there.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

cthulhu77

Harder on the eyes, easier on the shelf space...my favourite scale still.  I like it because I can have my planes next to my boats.  I doubt Shanlyn would go for 1/48th scale boats.

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of new whatifs !

dragon

Welcome to 1/72!  One more advantage of 1/72- you can display your "real world" armor, planes, Sci-Fi, and some ships next to each other.  Granted very few ships exist in 1/72, but they have been known to exist. :cheers:  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Archibald

1/72 scale is the best ever. Next step : learning the digital camera  ;)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Radish

B777LR

Quote1/72 scale is the best ever. Next step : learning the digital camera  ;)
Copy that! ;)

:tornado:  

Maverick

Rad,

Welcome to 'Divine Scale' (as I've heard it mentioned).  I was a quarter scaler in the military, but upon meeting my wife (now ex) was informed that my planes were too big & could I build something smaller?  Said OK, transitioned back to 72nd that had been my stomping ground through High School, then went a bought a Monogram B-52D!  Not happy Jan, but I soothed her anger buy suggesting my next build would be a B-36 and showed her photos..

Mav

Martin H

QuoteBut 1/72nd and 1/144th are becoming increasingly attractive
Welcome to the light side young one.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

so when they kicking u out of the QSG?
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Radish

I didn't say I was NOT building any 1/48th.

But to be honest, the current QSG theme of post-war RAF abroad leaves me a little cold, as I've already built 4 for it....two Spitfire IXs, one flown the day after VE day over Yugoslavia, and the other 2 Mustangs, a III and a IV. Both based in Italy.
The next QSG theme is USN post '45 and I'll probably do an F4U-5N based in Korea.

Otherwise, most of my 1/48th kits will be either ideal whiffing subjects....Italeri, Hobbycraft, F-104s/F-105s and Mustangs will remain as real projects.
But some Hasegawa, Tamiya and others "to go".

I've quite a few nice 1/72nd already....F-104s, Swordfish, F-5As so have a few things to play with.
And the thought of a nice AC-121 gunship in 1/144th is intriguing., :lol:

Lots to sell and a few to acquire.
But I'm in no rush, although I'll bring a box to Cov/Warks this Friday?