Convair Kingfish

Started by Hobbes, March 12, 2007, 08:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I recently downloaded an episode of Discovery Channel's 'Secret superpower aircraft' show, about spy planes. They showed some interesting stuff, e.g. fantastic old Soviet footage of Kapustin Yar and of their spyplanes, some neat CGI models etc.
One of the designs they mentioned (and which I didn't know about) was the Convair Kingfish, a design for a Mach 3 recon aircraft which was to include some stealth characteristics.

Remarkable resemblance to the F-117, huh?

more info

Archibald

Yep! This was Convair effort against the A-12 / D-21 combo, in the late 50's. Top speed was to be mach 4+

I'm surprised no one mention this fabulous machine before  ;)  

Even more infos here (alas translation doesn't work anymore, as this website is no longer updated  :angry:  )
http://jpcolliat.free.fr/f12/f12-14.htm

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

It seems there was three projects

- unmanned / manned vehicles hanged below the B-58B
- Fish single vehicle, ramjets, mach 4.2 (still launched by a B-58B)
- Kingfish with J-58s and speed reduced to mach 3.2

Interestingly, Convair kept on developping the Kingfish as an insurance in the case of A-12 failure. This, until 1965 and another program, the highly secret INSIGLASS. A mach 5 / mach 25 A-12 sucessor for the CIA
(from Astronautix)
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/isiglass.htm

French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mossie

Very interesting machine!  Is it me, or does it have the look of a F-106 derivative?  Quite a leap in performance if it it is!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Archibald

High speed recon vehicles alt timeline

1959 Navaho interim unmanned recon vehicle. Mach 3.25
1960 Power is shot down. A-12 manned vehicle to complete the Navaho
1962 first flight of the A-12 Top speed Mach 3.6
1963 Fish resurrected and now launched from a Valkyrie. Mach 4.2
       Dyna Soar program go ahead
1968 Fish /Valkyrie combo enter service. A-12 and Navaho withdrawn.
1971 Dynasoar enter service for recon.

Of course, the corona KH-4 exists, but drawbacks of spy satellites are well known  ;)  

Archibald

Quote1963 Fish resurrected and now launched from a Valkyrie. Mach 4.2

Guess what I've found just after posting this ?

:o  :lol:  

ysi_maniac

What a beauty  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Jeffry Fontaine

QuoteVery interesting machine!  Is it me, or does it have the look of a F-106 derivative?  Quite a leap in performance if it it is!
The wings look very similar in plan form to the wings from the CF-105 Arrow.  Maybe Avro Canada was a sub-contractor for this program...  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Hi folks,

Some more infomation and pics on the Convair Kingfish may me found here and here.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

The whole Fish jigger is bloody interesting stuff, the guys when ballistic had the things hanging off B-58s for a mother ship, quite logical I guess given the stalky undercart and Convair lineage.  Can't see one being a fighter tho... just a liiiittle bit too fast I'm thunking.. You know the whole "Bear at... o poo-poo (with an english accent)... 150miles behind us!"  :lol: Just gotta love the 60s tech tho... weren't afraid to put silly stuff up in the air or wind-tunnel at least.